Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Any guesses on what the theme for this game will be?

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

Time to start taking bets!

No Caption Provided

Twin Snakes - 'Gene'

Sons of Liberty - 'Meme'

Snake Eater - 'Scene'

Guns of the Patriots - 'Sense'

The Phantom Pain - ??????

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

More "missing link" bullshit. No, seriously it could be focusing on Big Boss becoming evil. So......idk loss. It seems this may go to Big Boss loosing everything Mother Base, MSF, 9 years, his sanity. All leading to his transformation into a monster, a la the hand and horn. Also "Diamond Dogs" = Africa and Blood Diamonds? Dont they talk about Big Boss being in africa at some point in MGS1?

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thanatos3 said:

More "missing link" bullshit. No, seriously it could be focusing on Big Boss becoming evil. So......idk loss. It seems this may go to Big Boss loosing everything Mother Base, MSF, 9 years, his sanity. All leading to his transformation into a monster, a la the hand and horn. Also "Diamond Dogs" = Africa and Blood Diamonds? Dont they talk about Big Boss being in africa at some point in MGS1?

I'd actually be pretty intrigued if it's what you describe there. It does tie in with Kojima's statements of his going all taboo in this game.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By artelinarose

The original Outer Heaven was in South Africa and then it was remade in Zanzibar in MG2, if I remember correctly.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You forgot Peacewalker. Also not sure what sort of thematic elements they will use in this one. Should be interesting though. Big boss has finally quit calling himself snake and adopted the BB moniker and basically rejected The boss at the end of Peacewalker.

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snakelinksonic: Heh, he said this might get him blacklisted form the industry as a whole as well. I dont know what he could possibly do to earn that given how much time and money Konami let him put into the FOX engine and two seperate games and his high reputation. But my theory (as far fetched as it is) would be that in an effort to stop making Metal Gear games and put an end to the series you spend the game traveling the world collecting soldiers until you form Fox-Hound made up of Big Boss, Ocelot (now portrayed by Christopher Lloyd), Sniper Wolf, and Raven. As well as recruiting the bosses from the MSX games for Diamond Dogs or whatever defends Outer Heaven. Everything goes as games exopect leading to Big Boss becoming the boogyman we expect with the game spanning years leading up to 1995 and the events of Metal Gear. Only Kojima pisses of everyone with showing us the fight between them from the perspective of BB, not too weird until in a twist ending we actually kill Solid, for sure bullet to the head. Leaving the series in a queston mark with everyone not sure will the "new series" would go. Or I'm just crazy who knows.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Big boss has finally quit calling himself snake and adopted the BB moniker and basically rejected The boss at the end of Peacewalker.

And yet for some reason whoever was on the radio still called him 'Snake' during the Ground Zeroes announcement trailer. Though perhaps that was just to throw the fans off somewhat, considering how ambiguous a character called 'Snake' in an MGS game can be. But even then it was very clearly Big Boss so...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

House party

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MEME>GENE>SCENE>SENSE> OBSCENE

No Caption Provided

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Seems like the book "Moby Dick" would be a big theme to this game.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vision.

Everything so far has picked at the themes of madness, loss, pain, sight, and rebirth.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Confusing Narrative.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It will have the same anti-war, anti nuclear proliferation themes that EVERY Kojima game has.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By musubi

Vision.

Everything so far has picked at the themes of madness, loss, pain, sight, and rebirth.

You might be on to something with that one. "V" obviously means more to the game than just a roman numeral. It could very well center around Big Boss vision for Outer Heaven.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

You might be on to something with that one. "V" obviously means more to the game than just a roman numeral. It could very well center around Big Boss vision for Outer Heaven.

Yeah, I think many things are pointing at how someone sees something. For example, even the reveal of the game was based around a silly illusion. Playing with expectations and things not as they appear. "Moby Dick Studios", a character saying to call him Ishmael, when you ask who he is, he points at you, crazy visions of things that may or may not be real, a mysterious giant whale with no explanation. These are all things both referencing Moby-Dick and possibly the idea that a lot of this may not be real. At least, everything is suspect. For the first time, you even have a scene set from the eyes of the main character. Vision has a lot to do with what the game appears to be regardless of if it is ultimately the main theme.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

Yeah, I think many things are pointing at how someone sees something. For example, even the reveal of the game was based around a silly illusion. Playing with expectations and things not as they appear. "Moby Dick Studios", a character saying to call him Ishmael, when you ask who he is, he points at you, crazy visions of things that may or may not be real, a mysterious giant whale with no explanation. These are all things both referencing Moby-Dick and possibly the idea that a lot of this may not be real. At least, everything is suspect. For the first time, you even have a scene set from the eyes of the main character. Vision has a lot to do with what the game appears to be regardless of if it is ultimately the main theme.

See now you have me wondering if the whole hospital scene might not be some fever dream of Big Boss or something. Either way I hardly think we've seen the tip of the iceberg here. Like I'm not even sure If I really believe anything Kojima says or for that matter the Hayter stuff just yet. Like fuck what if that whole Hayter thing ties into again vision being the fan's vision of WHO snake/BB is? Then again its 1am and I probably just need sleep. Haha.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

N.... nanomachines? Nanomachines.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

See now you have me wondering if the whole hospital scene might not be some fever dream of Big Boss or something. Either way I hardly think we've seen the tip of the iceberg here. Like I'm not even sure If I really believe anything Kojima says or for that matter the Hayter stuff just yet. Like fuck what if that whole Hayter thing ties into again vision being the fan's vision of WHO snake/BB is? Then again its 1am and I probably just need sleep. Haha.

haha. The fact that we're thinking about the possibility of that means they've already succeeded to some extent.

I think the hospital stuff is real, but parts of it aren't. For example, I think Ishmael may just be an alternate personality or imaginary friend. That, or he's a huge jerk. Because he doesn't touch you once. He points at you and guides you, but he doesn't help you up when you keep struggling to get up. He just lets you drag yourself on the ground while he keeps saying getting out of there is urgent. To me, it just seems like he isn't really there. A lot of the crazy stuff appears to be Big Boss's visions playing tricks on him; though, it may inspire his real action.

Thanatos3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

haha. The fact that we're thinking about the possibility of that means they've already succeeded to some extent.

I think the hospital stuff is real, but parts of it aren't. For example, I think Ishmael may just be an alternate personality or imaginary friend. That, or he's a huge jerk. Because he doesn't touch you once. He points at you and guides you, but he doesn't help you up when you keep struggling to get up. He just lets you drag yourself on the ground while he keeps saying getting out of there is urgent. To me, it just seems like he isn't really there. A lot of the crazy stuff appears to be Big Boss's visions playing tricks on him; though, it may inspire his real action.

Well then it may come down to perspective. With all the long POV shots and the whole FOX VS. XOF tagline possible meaning that they could be the same but with a difference of perspective. That ties into the theme of identity ok.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

Not true, since in the trailer he is seen shoving Big Boss to the ground to avoid detection from the XOF soldiers hunting for you. It's a neat idea, but I'm thinking Ishmael is more likely to be Grey Fox than an imaginary friend.

Could be either, though. I'm pretty excited about MGS5 regardless.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

Not true, since in the trailer he is seen shoving Big Boss to the ground to avoid detection from the XOF soldiers hunting for you. It's a neat idea, but I'm thinking Ishmael is more likely to be Grey Fox than an imaginary friend.

See I dunno about that either. According to the metal Gear Wiki Frank Jaeger was in North America with Naomi as early as 1980 and was still in North America as late as 1988. Not saying he couldn't have done other stuff but seeing as Ishamel says that he has been watching over BB the entire time he was in his coma that doesn't add up. Frank seemed to be living a civilian life during the 80's.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

Is he -really- shoving you? Or in your fear, are you actually pushing yourself down? >_>

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon said:

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

@truthtellah said:

Vision.

See I dunno about that either. According to the metal Gear Wiki Frank Jaeger was in North America with Naomi as early as 1980 and was still in North America as late as 1988. Not saying he couldn't have done other stuff but seeing as Ishamel says that he has been watching over BB the entire time he was in his coma that doesn't add up. Frank seemed to be living a civilian life during the 80's.

Or so the official reports would have you know. Couldn't they have given him a cover story for being in a secret research hospital? Sounds pretty Metal Gear to me. Unless you've played something in the series and know those events are canon, I think almost all information about history in the Metal Gear universe is suspect.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Well either way there might be some more retconning going on in this next one because looking through events in late 70's early 80's some of these events don't line up with Big Boss being in a coma for 9 years.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I'm betting heavy-handed preachiness about how Nuclear Weapons are bad.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gene and Meme I get, but does anyone want to give me an explanation for scene and sense for MGS 3 and 4?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.