Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Any required reading for this?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

After watching so much MG Scanlon i decided to check this out since it was $6.80 on PSN. I read the entire backstory that's included in the game and i feel like i have a basic understanding of whats going on.

Is there anything else that would help me enjoy the story more? Should i just watch video of MGS Peacewalker?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

There's no story in this game. It's a prologue that was cut out of another game.

Playing Peace Walker will explain who these characters are, but Ground Zeroes doesn't have much going on for it in the way of story. The gameplay is fucking great though.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Quarters

Eh, if you watch video of Peace Walker, then you need to watch video of Snake Eater first, as Peace Walker is a direct sequel. But if you're just wanting to enjoy the game and catch up with the rest of the lore as Drew plays it, I think you'll be fine. It's really short, and pretty much the equivalent of the Tanker portion of MGS2(maybe a wee bit less in terms of the main story, though there are several side missions to play), so it isn't like you're about to get hit with a ton of stuff. The cutscenes are about 20 minutes or so once you put them all together, and it basically just serves as a prologue. You should be fine with just reading what it has with it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You don't necessarily have to since besides the ground zeroes mission everything else is pretty much open sandbox type stuff. They do address who Chico and Paz are in Peacewalker.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't recommend anyone play MGS games out of order.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ShadowKnight508

@frostyryan: I consider it necessary, if you wish to keep the chronological order of the story intact. It explains how the founding of FOXHOUND and The Patriots came to be after Snake's FOX unit that formed after the events of Snake Eater went renegade, as well as the inspiration of the military state Outer Heaven. I consider that to be important to the timeline that the OP should get caught up with story-wise so that when he finally plays Ground Zeroes, he will have a full understanding of the story up until that point.

Metal Gear Solid Timeline

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowknight508: ah, Portable Ops is the only one I didn't play because it wasn't compatible with Vita. I'm not sure if that's still the case though. I also heard it wasn't very important and it also might not be canon or something

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@shadowknight508: ah, Portable Ops is the only one I didn't play because it wasn't compatible with Vita. I'm not sure if that's still the case though. I also heard it wasn't very important and it also might not be canon or something

Let's put it like this: Some of the events of Portable Ops are canon. This much is confirmed by Peace Walker when Kaz mentions putting San Hieronymo behind them, which is also a dig at the fact that no one likes Portable Ops. We don't know exactly how much of Portable Ops is canon, however.

It's also excluded from any official MGS timeline information. Kojima himself at one point confirmed Portable Ops was canon, but still refuses to leave in any MGS Collection or anything to bring up the fact that it exists.

So yeah, it's canon, but you get absolutely nothing from playing it because it ultimately isn't important to the overall plot, and also it's fucking difficult to play because that control scheme is insane.

Here's as close to an official write-up of Portable Ops as you're going to get. Spoilers, obviously.

Gray Fox was a terminator ninja the whole time.

Sokolov is still alive and strangely boss all of the sudden.

Gene comes up with an idea of a nation consisting entirely of soldiers, giving them both a home and a purpose. Big Boss spends the whole game telling him how stupid it is, kills him, and then immediately establishes MSF.

Dwight Schultz shows up as an Anti-Snake named Python who looks like Pinhead on crossfit. He explodes into ice and no one ever remembers him again.

Colonel Campbell shows up as a complete loser and dies of malaria or something.

There are twins who turn out to be the same person because Snake is a complete fucking idiot and can be fooled by school children.

The end. Nothing of value was lost.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.