Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

At what point do we want someone else to voice Big Boss?

• 65 results
    SortedeVaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SortedeVaras

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Jack268 said:

@N7 said:

Also, Ground Zeroes is apparently 10 days after Peace Walker,

Actually, Miller only says he got word about Paz's survival 10 days ago. It sounds unlikely he'd get a message about that the same day.

I'm guessing since Chico was 12 in Peace Walker, and in the animal cage he looks around 17-19, that that we're at least looking at a several year gap.

They said in the trailer that 10 days ago they got info that Paz was just fished out of the ocean by a Belizean fisherman. That would mean its only been at most a month or so after Peace Walker. Chico still looks the same age (12-14).

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By AndrewB

I thought the Peace Walker voice sounded super weird, but you just don't change voice actors. The voice is what it is. I kind of had the same reaction to Cain's voice in Diablo III, and to a much lesser extent for Agent 47's voice for Hitman: Absolution. Changing voice actors takes you away from the character that's been built up over the course of the series.

Speaking of...

Bring back Cam Clarke.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By fattony12000

Snake Hayter.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By CL60
    @AndrewB

I thought the Peace Walker voice sounded super weird, but you just don't change voice actors. The voice is what it is. I kind of had the same reaction to Cain's voice in Diablo III, and to a much lesser extent for Agent 47's voice for Hitman: Absolution. Changing voice actors takes you away from the character that's been built up over the course of the genre.

Speaking of...

Bring back Cam Clarke.

They switched back to the original voice actor in Absolution.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#55  Edited By AndrewB

@CL60: Yup. I know.

I meant that they hadn't changed those voice actors, and the games seem better for it (obviously I haven't played Absolution yet, but I can't imagine Agent 47 having a different voice, and I'm invested enough in the character for that to matter).

I was originally down on Cain for how terribly cheesy his voice acting sounded, but eventually came to the realization that changing his voice actor now after all that time would be changing the character that the voice instills with it.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@AndrewB said:

I thought the Peace Walker voice sounded super weird, but you just don't change voice actors. The voice is what it is. I kind of had the same reaction to Cain's voice in Diablo III, and to a much lesser extent for Agent 47's voice for Hitman: Absolution. Changing voice actors takes you away from the character that's been built up over the course of the genre.

Speaking of...

Bring back Cam Clarke.

I guess they're already too late for this one because it would have been a good move back in Snake Eater, but one of the MGS1 endings confirms that Liquid got the dominant genes during the cloning process and was unaware of it. So it'd make sense to me (in a Kojima-esque way) to have Cam Clarke voice Big Boss instead of Hayter.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By tebbit

Hayter's gonna Hayte.

Sombrero_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Sombrero_Ninja

@Oldirtybearon said:

@ThePaleKing said:

Well, David Hayter himself is in his 40s, so no?

The thing about Hayter's Snake voice is that it doesn't sound like a real person. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but the amount of gravel and venom he spits his lines with is just comic book in nature. Again, not a bad thing for Solid Snake who is himself a riff on 80's action heroes, but Big Boss feels different. Especially with his new look.

@Ghostiet said:

I think Hayter gave the impression he's losing the voice only because he really had to force it portraying Snake as an old man.

I think they should stick with David Hayter, he's simply too synonymous at this point. Richard Doyle's voice is way too old to pull it off and I don't want them to pull off a Sam Fisher.

That's a fair point, and something I considered after playing through Peace Walker in the last week. Even during PW though, I wasn't entirely convinced by Hayter's performance. Especially during key bits where Big Boss delivers "profound" dialogue that needs to have real weight to it.

On the whole, I'm not sure if I want Richard Doyle voicing Big Boss, either. I'm hoping though, that with Ground Zeroes Big Boss stops being Snake and starts being the mythical mercenary bad ass we keep hearing about.

These games are somewhat comic book-y, I mean look at all the villains in the past.....and then look at the new guy in a suit and looks like cap america's main rival/villain or whatever. But that's what I like about these games the wacky-ness or the lack of seriousness in certain situations. With a change in voice it would be weird to see the different voice do the wacky lines and such but also they may not have as good delivery and this make the game as a whole feel more serious then intended..... basically Konami don't make this f***ing CoD or anything which from the trailer is not at all I know but I just want me some more mgs3 style stuff.

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By iGooner7

Well, i cant imagine anyone but David Hayter to be Big Boss's voice.

David Hayter is currently 43 years old if im not mistaken. So he's around Big Boss's age in this game

Im sticking with Hayter all the way! Cant see anyone perfecting the voice but him.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By probablytuna

@Tebbit said:

Hayter's gonna Hayte.

Finally.

Also, I can't imagine anyone else apart from David Hayter doing the voice for Snake. Until he stops being referred to as Snake when Solid Snake takes over the mantle, he should remain as the voice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
    deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no reason to not use Hayter until Snake's an adult.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By toowalrus

God, never. I'd follow David Hayter to the ends of the earth.

erobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By erobb

I think they should stick with Hayter for at least Ground Zeroes. Who knows what MGSV will be, but for now, have Hayter. Although, he should probably come up with a significantly different voice to ease Big Boss into his older age. At some point he stops looking and sounding like Snake. I think this game should start that process.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By toowalrus

Oh God, this thread is old. I'll just quote someone random with the same reaction to this thread title that I had...

@TooWalrus said:

God, never.
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By nightriff

Why would anyone want a change. Hayter is the best voice actor period.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.