Could Solidus Snake (George Sears) be the main character?

• 79 results
#51 Posted by pleasedaddyno (87 posts) -

there's so many animal names and permutations of them that it's really a zoo.

#52 Posted by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

I would love more Solidus. His fate in MGS4 is kinda fucked up.

#53 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@Snail said:

There's a character named Solidus Snake? Seriously?

In all honesty, the more I know about this franchise...

What if I told you he was also the 43rd President of the United States?!

#54 Posted by Snail (8648 posts) -

@ExplodeMode said:

@Snail said:

There's a character named Solidus Snake? Seriously?

In all honesty, the more I know about this franchise...

What if I told you he was also the 43rd President of the United States?!

Is that part of the canon in the series? It honestly wouldn't surprise me a lot - given some of the shit that goes on in the MGS mythos that's actually pretty tame.

#55 Posted by Mnemoidian (956 posts) -

@Snail: That is correct. Solidus Snake. Search for "President".

George Sears, the 43rd President.

#56 Posted by Thanatos3 (84 posts) -

@Mnemoidian: Well at least he really tried to get shit done.

#57 Posted by dezvous (557 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

I'd actually think it'd be cooler if it was Liquid Snake. I know no arm in the beginning of the trailer probably means it won't be Liquid but I'd kinda be interested to find out Liquid went insane in the membrane.

Why not? Wouldn't that make more sense? Seeing as how Ocelot took Liquids hand? We just assumed he was dead after what happened to him with Fox Die. Every other time he comes up it's through Ocelot.

#58 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3712 posts) -

@dezvous said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

I'd actually think it'd be cooler if it was Liquid Snake. I know no arm in the beginning of the trailer probably means it won't be Liquid but I'd kinda be interested to find out Liquid went insane in the membrane.

Why not? Wouldn't that make more sense? Seeing as how Ocelot took Liquids hand? We just assumed he was dead after what happened to him with Fox Die. Every other time he comes up it's through Ocelot.

Whoa, now that you mention it... Yeah your right but the hair is way off unless it just looks shoddy due to the bandages around his head. Would be totally down for an amnesiac Liquid Snake.

#59 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3217 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

It will probably be Raiden again.

Just 'cause.

Hahaha, it's been a while since Kojima has offered a fat middle finger to his fans.

#60 Posted by dezvous (557 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft: You mean because his hair is darker as opposed to blonde? Yeah that's what I was thinking too. However it certainly wouldn't be too out of the question for it to have gotten darker, plus it's Kojima, maybe he dyed it so that he could confuse us further haha.

Also, it's hard to say, but when you pause it where you can see his face a couple times it looks like Snake but a little off. However that could just be me trying too hard. Either way. I love this. Anytime a new MGS trailer comes out it becomes so much fun to discuss this stuff.

#61 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

I don't think it's Solidus. But it could be one of the 6 (8?) other clones that supposedly died. Or maybe it's Solid Snake after he's cured of his nano-aging?

#62 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

It's clearly Otacon

#63 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

It has to be Big Boss. Has to be.

#64 Edited by generalstargate (1 posts) -

It can't be Solidus Snake because Solidus has is eye patch on his left eye not his right.

#65 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (176 posts) -

It's just going to be another clone we never knew about called Solidlicious Snake

#66 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It's just going to be another clone we never knew about called Solidlicious Snake

It'll be a retelling of MGS1 with Solidlicious Snake and Bootylicious Snake.

#67 Posted by joseluisvali (1 posts) -

As cool as a plot twist this would be, it can't be Solidus. Big Boss has the eye patch on the right eye while Solidus has the eye patch on the left.

#68 Posted by firecracker22 (560 posts) -

It's not Solidus. I believe, aside from not having lost the eye (opposite to the one Big Boss lost) in 2009, they'd mentioned he was born after Solid and Liquid with his age accelerated so he wound up looking older than he really was. Though, who the hell knows? Kojima has said they're willing to bend the canon for sake of the story. But, it being Solidus would be more like breaking the canon entirely, I think.

Big Boss is cloned while he's in his coma, that we do know. So, I could definitely see the character we're playing as in Phantom Pain being some unknown clone we'd never even heard of.

#69 Edited by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

@generalstargate: Either way expecting something goofy to happen at some point. No way Kojima plays this entire thing straight.

#70 Posted by marc (557 posts) -

People are really over thinking this too much lol. It's big boss. He will get fucked up and end up in a coma by the end, and Phantom Pain will pick up years later when he comes out of said coma with a missing arm (he won't have a missing arm in GZ).

There will be no Liquid, Solidus or Solid Snake in GZ. Appearances as children in Phantom Pain, perhaps.

#71 Posted by FLStyle (4842 posts) -

@firecracker22: Ugh, don't bump old threads that have no place in 2014. We know the year that Ground Zeroes is set, we know that Solid, Liquid and Solidus are all 2 years old during it, there's no discussion to be had here.

#72 Edited by marc (557 posts) -

@flstyle: I wish I had taken notice of the date before I bothered to reply lol

#73 Posted by FLStyle (4842 posts) -

@marc said:

That's how these thread bumpers get you! haha

#74 Edited by marc (557 posts) -

@flstyle said:

@marc said:

That's how these thread bumpers get you! haha

Bunch of savages in this town

#75 Edited by NTM (7522 posts) -

I don't think so. No. It's Big Boss. That doesn't actually make sense. I'm surprised people on here are actually thinking it could be...

#76 Posted by Stonyman65 (2826 posts) -

Wouldn't he be too busy being a politician and/or leading child soldiers to be in this game?

Possibly. Honestly I've never even thought of that angle before, but it IS possible especially with how *Metal Gear Solid 4 spoilers ahead* Solidus was used to reconstruct Big Boss after his death and was an exact clone. I'm not sure how that would work out in the series timeline, but I wouldn't put it past Kojima at this point. Hell, I wouldn't put anything past Kojima at this point. That dude's storytelling is so crazy and ridiculous he could pretty much do anything at this point and find a way to make it work. I mean, remember the whole nanomachines thing? How that explained pretty much every weird/supernatural thing in the entire series?

#77 Posted by Stonyman65 (2826 posts) -

@reisz said:

I had kind of wanted this to be Solidus before I brushed up on the time lines, looking at the visual stuff like the car, the prosthetic forearm and the chopper at the end, the setting needs to be between 1976 and 1989 which would put Solidus in his teens at most. As much as I want to see more of Solidus' story, MGS V won't be that game.

The weird thing is with with that setting how could the main character be Big Boss either?, No arm and a re-damaged right eye? Who knows, maybe the events of Ground Zeroes lead to a serious case of PTSD and MGS V is all a psychosomatic response to being put in an institution >_<

The important thing to remember though is Big Boss did spend time in a coma after 1972, which like @KillaWolf13 said is when Zero got the program started to clone the twins, So there is canonical precedent for this being Big Boss, except that means the events in the hospital take place before Peace walker which seems. . . . . ridiculous.

Fingers crossed that the main character is a genetic failure of the first round of cloning, that's the only plausible way I can justify a snake of this age, in this time period with these injuries.

Whatever man I just want to play it.

Wait, what? Peace Walker happened in 1974. The events Ground Zeros happened between 1975 and 1984

#78 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11458 posts) -

@stonyman65: Yeah, in the time since I posted that post (it was a while ago), I did some thinking, and he would probably be an up and coming CIA agent at the time of Phantom Pain (1984), because he was high ranking enough in the CIA to be doing all that child soldiers stuff in Liberia in the late 80s. So, it's actually quite possible that he could be in Phantom Pain.

#79 Posted by Reisz (1522 posts) -

@stonyman65: Oh wow, that was from a while ago. Yeah that's what I was saying, if you go by all the information we had then, Big Boss was in a coma in '72. Big Boss is in a coma at the start of The Phantom Pain. That checks out, except when you look at Peacewalker, a game that obviously comes before Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, we're already at 1974. So that doesn't check out.

But I've come to think of the Metal Gear history at this point as a dossier compiled from verbal accounts and declassified documents. You can get the big picture but don't rely on the details.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.