Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Did Kojima go too far? (Chico's Tape spoilers)

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By -Cipher-

@mooseymcman: Interesting, but it doesn't specifically mention the coma.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#352  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@-cipher-: That's because this is pre-coma. That's the point I was trying to make. Kojima retconned out the part where it was during the coma that the clones were made.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: If this is so, then it seems likely the clones might make an appearance in PP, more specifically Liquid and Solidus.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@-cipher-: If the Eli kid in the E3 trailer isn't Liquid, I will eat my hat.*

*I do not have a hat.**

**That's a lie, I own several hats.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355  Edited By -Cipher-

@mooseymcman: Exactly! I believe Eli is liquid. But not for reasons like "He has an 'li' on the end of his name", but for other reasons like the timeframe, location and appearance.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By Pierre42

I think it was done appropriately to indicate the dark tone that was going to be taken. No point lying about it, military troops have done some horrific things already with prisoners in real life that aren't sanctioned or orthodox. It's a tough topic to tackle but it's totally in line with the sort of 'anti-military' theme Metal Gear games gun with.

It does set Skull Face up as a horrific monster but again I don't think it's entirely inappropriate given the specific situation Chico and Paz were in. If they'd played like a tape of IT happening then sure I'd say that would be unnecessary and absolutely not ok but they left it implied and off-camera so they have some degree of sense.

Also regarding the existence of the tapes, some were legitimate recordings by Chico to warn Big Boss and detail his infiltration. The rest, I believe it's revealed in another tape, were made by Skull Face for Chico to listen to in order to remind him of what he did and what happened in the torture sessions.

mrgamerguy47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People seem to be forgetting that the rapes and implanting the bombs were only on cassette tapes. They weren't actually shown in the game and it's not the first time a video game, movie tv show or book has had implied rape or implied torture in it. Is it dark? Yes. Is it disgusting and graphic? Hell yes! But it was never shown and therefore technically not "in" the game.

BossOdio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By BossOdio

Personally I LOVE how dark this game is. It shows Kojima has the balls to pull off these kinds of stories, and if you are so sensitive,that seems more like a personal issue. It's a reminder to the player that in war there really ar no rules, no safe words, and no time outs. War is hell, and MSG5 takes now prisoners when driving that point home. I applaud Kojima for that.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally played this and god-damn, that was pretty fucked up. I'm all for gratuitous violence in videogames and I still disagree with people thinking this is a social issue or misogynistic or whatever but that went really dark. Having them show Paz being cut open like that was bad enough but then for it to all be for nothing made it seem like they're just trying to be edgy for the sake of it.

Still a fun game and I'll probably go back to do all the side stuff... though maybe skip the cut-scenes this time.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you have to ask is it too far,my answer is no and its alot worse in movies.we still have alot of room to get darker.this is dark,but its not close to alot of other mediums.people need to realize that the more accepted games get the darker games will be,because they will be able to put darker stuff in the games like movies and books have.in fact its already happening.look at hatred,its probably one of the darkest games ever based off the trailers we have seen.i got news for everyone as well,its going to get ALOT worse.for my taste im not offended by anything and i like dark stuff.so the closer it gets to movies and books,the happier i will be.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bossodio:

So how does that work with the goofy MGS tone and the cardboard boxes with a bikini girl cutout taped to them?

I mean, MGS always had some willing tonal whiplash built in, but Ground Zeroes broke for me because of it. I just couldn't go from the dark story beats to running the goofy alternate scenarios. It basically turned me off from the full game and I'm now on hold to see what's in there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

War is hell. When you sugarcoat war games it makes people think war isn't as bad as it really is.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorkamorkaorka: This is like a whole other level though. It is one thing to make war look like hell, but this....this doesn't even have anything to do with war. It is some villain named Skullface trying to be as evil as possible for no reason.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#364  Edited By musubi

@lettuceman44: We don't know that yet. We have very little info on Skullface right now. Saying he has no motivation for his actions is pretty presumptive at this point.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I agree. Knowing Metal Gear, I'm sure The Phantom Pain will explain this new villain's motivations at great length. Of course, it will be a bunch of idiotic, nonsensical gobbledygook that will defy all logic and suspension of disbelief, but there will surely be something.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrissedoff: Right. Like this is Kojima we're talking about even if the reasoning for whatever it is absolutely insane you can be assured he will address it in excruciating detail most times.

OneFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I honestly can't tell if this is real or not because that is some heavy stuff. How old is Paz supposed to be?

Like fucking 16! At least she was 14 in Peacewalker I'm pretty sure.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I honestly can't tell if this is real or not because that is some heavy stuff. How old is Paz supposed to be?

Like fucking 16! At least she was 14 in Peacewalker I'm pretty sure.

No, she's in her 20s. She only looks in her teens, which is part of why she was chosen to be a double agent. Made her seem more innocent(though she was in noway innocent). Chico is actually young, though.

I still think people overreacted to this. Don't get me wrong, it's horrific, but I don't necessarily think it was a bad thing to put in the game. It laid the stakes out very clearly, and showed more the type of tone and story it was going for. I personally find it more offensive that people feel that only certain storytellers are allowed to tell certain kind of stories, and any others that try should be chastised. You can't limit creativity like that. It also bothers me because Ground Zeroes is only the prologue for a game. We have barely any story payoff for the things it sets up. Who knows how any of this will play out in MGSV? Yes, it was a super dark moment, but I felt it was done with purpose. It's not like it's friggin' Human Centipede or Serbian Film. People claim those are artistic expressions moreso than Metal Gear, and they are a bajillion times more graphic.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@onefreeman: No she (Peacewalker spoilers-->) was posing as a 16 year old in Peacewalker. But she was born in 1950 which makes her 25 during the events of Ground Zeroes.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: The weird thing is that you can see her in her underwear in the very beginning of Peace Walker, when you still think she's 16. I didn't play much more than that, so I was left thinking, "what the fuck, Kojima..."

Finished Ground Zeroes a number of times over the past couple weeks and they indeed specifically say she was merely posing as a 16-year-old. I caught it my first time through; it's pretty clear.

As for the question posed in this thread? No. The part Kojima messed up was the writing, because it was lame, but then again it's nothing more or less than I'd expect from a MGS game. On the plus side, though, Kiefer's "Snake" was actually a legit badass and wasn't a total wuss like the Big Boss in Snake Eater.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By triplestan

I think it would be fine and all if it wasn't pulled off with the subtlety of a semi truck.

I'm all for artistic freedoms and yadda yadda but when you attempt to represent something so disturbing you have to do it pretty gracefully, which is not something Kojima seems particularly good at, especially nowadays. So while the subject matter is not necessarily unwelcome in games, I think Ground Zeroes is a prime example of how easily it can be portrayed in bad taste.

In fact, I think Jeremy Parish said it best in his article for US Gamer. Even watching Metal Gear Scanlon puts the older games into stark contrast with the new ones - whereas back then Kojima was able to somewhat deftly (most of the time) imply grotesque situations and have them not feel incongruous with the inherent goofiness, nowadays he seems to want to exhibit every last gritty detail, and that's where the disconnect comes in.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I think it is very dark but let games go where other mediums do. People pretty much don't bat an eyelash at Tarantino anymore and look at like the rape in Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Can't remember if I posted in this thread the first time around, but I'm all for it. Kojima is one of the few devs in AAA space who consistently tries to push boundaries. I don't care what those boundaries are and I don't care how hamfisted his attempts end up being, I just want him to keep pushing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Can't remember if I posted in this thread the first time around, but I'm all for it. Kojima is one of the few devs in AAA space who consistently tries to push boundaries. I don't care what those boundaries are and I don't care how hamfisted his attempts end up being, I just want him to keep pushing.

I'm with you on that. If anything more games aren't going far enough with their subject matter. The best part is that Kojima actually manages to make you feel deeply unsettled without using a single piece of gratuitous imagery.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Sorry to revitalise an old thread (MGSV: TPP spoilers ahead) but the imagery in the cutscene when you find Paz in the medical platform is pretty fuckin gross

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By musubi
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#378  Edited By Captain_Insano

@demoskinos: Implying that Paz has a bomb stuck up in her vagina is one thing. "It's in my..., in my...", but showing Miller chucking on a glove and jamming his hand up there was pretty full on. And I've seen my son get born! I don't expect to see that type of stuff in a video game I suppose

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.