Just realized that Joakim in an anagram for Kojima

#1 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

When I came to this realization earlier while taking a bath my mind was a bit blown. If nothing else because it took me this long to realize it. I hadn't seen this pointed out on news coverage, threads, YouTube comments, or twitter.

So I decided to consult you people on a pertinent question. What do you think the "N. Mogren" part of the name stands for then? If it even stands for anything at all (which it probably does).

#TeamCG #iWantToBelieve

#2 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

"Mogren is the football club of Budva, Montenegro, and Montenegro is the first level of Metal Gear Rising. Project Ogre is also the codename of an oft-mentioned but as yet unannounced Kojima Productions game."

#3 Edited by Ramone (2961 posts) -

Seriously? It took you this long?

#4 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

"Mogren is the football club of Budva, Montenegro, and Montenegro is the first level of Metal Gear Rising. Project Ogre is also the codename of an oft-mentioned but as yet unannounced Kojima Productions game."

Well that settles it. Where are you quoting this from?

@ramone: I know right? I hadn't seen it pointed out anywhere though, and I guess I had never given it much thought.

#5 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

#6 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

I think the fascination over the marketing of this game is a lot of what is wrong with the gaming industry.

I'd rather see a video game than publicity stunts...no matter how elaborate and goofy they are.

#7 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

@snail said:
@hitchenson said:

Well that settles it. Where are you quoting this from?

@ramone: I know right? I hadn't seen it pointed out anywhere though, and I guess I had never given it much thought.

If I'm honest I probably wouldn't have worked it out myself.

#8 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I think the fascination over the marketing of this game is a lot of what is wrong with the gaming industry.

I'd rather see a video game than publicity stunts...no matter how elaborate and goofy they are.

Yup, just like the whole Half-Life 3 "secret" messages that Valve supposedly leaves here and then. It's all some viral marketing strategy.

#9 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

You're probably taking this too seriously. I'm still more interested in knowing how the game will turn out than anything else, as I think most people are.

The way little pieces of information are being leaked to the thirsty hardcore fanbase little by little, enshrouded in all this silliness, is still pretty interesting though. This is goofy, silly, strangely elaborate marketing - and what's "wrong" with that?

#10 Edited by Winternet (8014 posts) -

You're late to the party, brah.

#11 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@snail said:
@jakob187 said:

You're probably taking this too seriously. I'm still more interested in knowing how the game will turn out than anything else, as I think most people are.

The way little pieces of information are being leaked to the thirsty hardcore fanbase little by little, enshrouded in all this silliness, is still pretty interesting though. This is goofy, silly, strangely elaborate marketing - and what's "wrong" with that?

Nothing.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14754 posts) -

#TeamCG

#13 Edited by StarvingGamer (8135 posts) -

I love marketing like this because it's fun. There is no messaging other than "Have fun! Get excited!"

#14 Posted by Humanity (9050 posts) -

@winternet: It's news to me too but then again I'm not watching every video related to that game with a decoder ring. I'll just wait till GDC and have Kojima lay it out for me rather than trying to come up with conspiracy theories by myself.

#15 Edited by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@snail said:
@jakob187 said:

My problem with this lies specifically with Kojima. He and his games are so up their own ass that this that this just reeks of him continuing to be up his own ass because he finds his game to be so remarkable and boundary pushing. If this were almost any other developer, I would think it's funny, but it just comes off as more pretentiousness from the world of Metal Gear, especially since it took around 15 minutes for this to be pieced together when that trailer was shown at the VGAs

#16 Edited by Winternet (8014 posts) -

@humanity: I'm pretty sure that this Joakim is an anagram of Kojima was brought up since the announcement in the VGAs.

Also, for funsies, @snail: check this thread. You're the number 4 post. The number 5 post directly mentions the Kojima anagram, while the 1st has a link to a tweet where that anagram is mentioned as well. You were pretty oblivious ;)

#17 Edited by Humanity (9050 posts) -
#18 Posted by darkvare (765 posts) -

i remember posting this anagram thing like 3 months ago or something like that

#19 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -
@mildmolasses said:

My problem with this lies specifically with Kojima. He and his games are so up their own ass that this that this just reeks of him continuing to be up his own ass because his game is so remarkable and boundary pushing (intended sarcasm). If this were almost any other developer, I would think it's funny, but it just comes off as more pretentiousness from the world of Metal Gear, especially since it took around 15 minutes for this to be pieced together when that trailer was shown at the VGAs

I kind of understand your problem, and I've kind of been there. But at one point I stopped being annoyed by how far up its own ass the whole Metal Gear Solid storyline is, and started accepting that. I've been playing through Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D with interest because the plot is so fucking nuts, I will gladly pursue it to see where it leads. As for the gameplay in that game, it's a mixture of outdated mechanics (that were already outdated when MGS3 came out) and innovative, unusual ideas - which is an interesting mixture.

Metal Gear Solid is nuts in a very weird, unique way in that it takes itself half-seriously, seriously and not seriously at all, randomly shifting between these tones, but delivering them in seemingly equal measures. It's a stuffed universe defined by lengthy narratives and weird symbolism, but every now and then there's a Yoshi figurine or a cardboard box. If you take the plot super seriously (which you might argue is the way its creator intended it to be taken) you are probably bound to enjoy it a lot less (though that's most likely not true for everyone).

@winternet said:

@humanity: I'm pretty sure that this Joakim is an anagram of Kojima was brought up since the announcement in the VGAs.

Also, for funsies, @snail: check this thread. You're the number 4 post. The number 5 post directly mentions the Kojima anagram, while the 1st has a link to a tweet where that anagram is mentioned as well. You were pretty oblivious ;)

Huh. I guess I forgot about that. I didn't even remember the name Joakim Mogren had been brought up at the VGAs - if I ever even knew that in the first place. Well, it was over three months ago.

For clarification, I am aware of how obvious this is and that this is sort of a laggard epiphany. I made this thread to ask what the "N. Mogren" is all about - which was answered in the first reply, but apparently it's also striking up some discussion regarding all these shenanigans. That said, I still haven't seen anyone mention the "N." at all. Wonder what that is.

#20 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

@jakob187 said:

Yup, just like the whole Half-Life 3 "secret" messages that Valve supposedly leaves here and then. It's all some viral marketing strategy.

Really? Would you rather just have more trailers?

At least they're getting creative with it, in a way that's consistent with the series no less.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.