Length of the game ?

• 79 results
#1 Posted by NateDawwg (12 posts) -

So what with the price being announced,we already knowing that this is just an introduction to the new features that will be present in mgs v how long are you guys and gals expecting this to be ?

#2 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

I dunno. They have said that there's also going to be a bunch of side missions, but they're all (so far as they've said) in that same prison camp area. It's probably going to vary from player to player, at least more so than most games do.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was only a couple hours in total for the story part, and that would be kind of a bummer, especially for those (like myself) buying the disc on next gen for $40. I'll pay it, because I'm a sucker for Metal Gear, but I'd rather not pay $40 for two hours of content, plus side missions that reuse the same exact environment.

EDIT: Knowing Kojima, there's probably going to be two and a half or three hours of cut-scenes alone, so there's that.

#3 Posted by SomeJerk (3203 posts) -

Konami says full length.

Konami says a lot of things.

#4 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

@somejerk said:

Konami says full length.

But what has Kojima said?

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

@somejerk said:

Konami says full length.

Kojima said that if MGSV was a two hour movie, Ground Zeroes would be the first ten minutes.

I realize this says absolutely nothing about the actual length of Ground Zeroes.

#6 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Probably Tanker length. I seriously have not gotten over the fact that we played as Solid Snake for 15 minutes and then had to spend hours hearing Raiden crying and asking for help. God that sucked.

#7 Posted by ILikePopCans (748 posts) -

Since I have played the game, I can safely tell you.

4078= 4^x-3x

X = hours

#8 Posted by BisonHero (6396 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Probably Tanker length. I seriously have not gotten over the fact that we played as Solid Snake for 15 minutes and then had to spend hours hearing Raiden crying and asking for help. God that sucked.

Not to mention that Big Shell is one of the most boring settings that has ever been in a video game. "Yo dawg, it's like this boring office facility with generic machinery rooms, suspended super fucking high for no particular reason because it's not even that far away from the New York City shore."

#9 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

@thehbk said:

You are exactly the type of person Kojima made MGS 2 for.

@donchipotle said:

@somejerk said:

Konami says full length.

Kojima said that if MGSV was a two hour movie, Ground Zeroes would be the first ten minutes.

I realize this says absolutely nothing about the actual length of Ground Zeroes.

Perfect.

#10 Edited by 49th (2722 posts) -

5 hours

#11 Posted by Dixego (384 posts) -

It will probably be of some length, be it much or little.

#12 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

well, they said it's the entire military based and there's a couple of side quests to do and training missions. So at best it could be on par with Russian Grozny Grad Base in MGS3 or even plays on par with Peace Walker series of bite size missions to come back and hold up enemies with a banana gun. Worst case scenario is what they keep showing us is all they got, but Kojima Production pride's itself on fans dicking around little tiny things to nerd out over.

I'm betting money this is up on par with Peace Walker, you keep coming back to the base there's a new objective, go back to mother base, come back again.

#13 Posted by NateDawwg (12 posts) -

@mooseymcman: yeah man would be a right bummer if we had to pay that ammount for a short campaign but hey its mgs so it will be worth it. Im buying a ps4 just for this as whenever ive played mgs games on any other platform but playstation they just dont feel right.

#14 Posted by JayEH (521 posts) -

@mooseymcman: there's no retail release for PS4/XONE unfortunately.

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

@jayeh said:

@mooseymcman: there's no retail release for PS4/XONE unfortunately.

They announced it today. It's $40.

#16 Edited by NateDawwg (12 posts) -

@jayeh: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/12/10/retail-ps4xbox-one-versions-of-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-confirmed/ :)

#17 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

$40 demo

#18 Posted by NateDawwg (12 posts) -

And its been stated that the retail version has bonus content ,hopping this is something different from the previously announced deja vu mission :D

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

And its been stated that the retail version has bonus content ,hopping this is something different from the previously announced deja vu mission :D

It's just FMV that Kojima secretly recorded of Kiefer Sutherland between VO/facial capture sessions.

#20 Posted by JayEH (521 posts) -

@natedawwg: oh cool, I think I'll save the $10 and just get the digital version though. nice they're giving people the option though.

#21 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

I seriously think that the main experience is going to be something like 30-40 minutes long. I don't want to be that guy, but I'm a huge metal gear fan and will buy the shit out of it but I know what it's going to be.

#22 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

pre order premium edition comes with an awesome playarts action figure of Snake

the price tag is rumored through bad translation of being $130 or $80

Those playarts figures can cost around $50, game is clearly 30 bucks, so yeah, tempting

#23 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3179 posts) -

Whatever naysayers!

I bet the main mission will be ~5 hours the first time through and there will be tons of levels and they will all be awesome and the story will be fantastic and Keifer is gonna knock it out of the park.

#24 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (993 posts) -

4-6 hours I'm thinking.

This is pretty much Dead Rising 2 Case Zero (I think that's what it was called)

#25 Posted by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

5 hours minus all the cinematics.

So 20 minutes.

#26 Edited by probablytuna (3598 posts) -

I'm expecting about five to six hours worth of content.

#27 Posted by Stonyman65 (2656 posts) -

Well, how long would a typical Metal Gear game be? 20 hours+ including all of the cut scenes?
I would assume GZ would be maybe 1/4th of that since it is supposed to be just a prologue, so my guess would be 5 hours or so, maybe a little more.

#28 Posted by Protome (347 posts) -

I'm going to guess 1-2 hours for the story but a significant number of extra missions.

#29 Posted by SomeJerk (3203 posts) -

With the leaked achievements I'm guessing it it's priced for $20 of content with no guessing of replay potential, with an extra tenner if you want physical, $40 if you want current-yen physical. I'm not expecting much but the tutorial it's been called, referred to, and a ton of rage from the internet calling it a $40 prologue when it's in fact $20 on digital past-generation from the children who survived the HayterReplacedByBauerocalypse.

It'll be released on the 18th in NA, 20th in the rest of the world, and us people in the rest of the world would like to thank you all pre-emptively for finding out answers to questions we have. If it's the length of a long or two shorter MGS4 chapters I'll be very very happy.

#30 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -
#31 Posted by Metal_Mills (2986 posts) -
#32 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

Oh Kojima what have you got yourself into this time.

#33 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

That is one hour more than gone home XD

But seriously It's sounding very short but it also depends on the play style and what you can do overall in terms of replaybility. Kojima also mentions that Phantom Pain is 200 bigger than ground zeroes XD

#34 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (829 posts) -

Considering how long Peace Walker was compared to your average game, I wouldn't be surprised if Ground Zeroes is still as long or longer than plenty of full priced games that come out with ~5 hour campaigns. Even if it isn't I'm gonna complete it like eight times anyways so the actual length doesn't really matter.

#35 Edited by BBOYS2231 (174 posts) -

Kind of expected this, but i'm sure there will be some replayability. That being said, $40.......

#36 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Kind of expected this, but i'm sure there will be some replayability. That being said, $40.......

Back then I paid full price for a MGS2 demo and never really liked Zone of the Enders XD

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14722 posts) -
#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

I'm getting kinda depressed at this 2 hour play time. Maybe there's dozens of hours of side missions? Hours of side missions?

#39 Edited by Chaser324 (6390 posts) -

I'm not really surprised, and I'm still ready and willing to throw down $30 for it just as an MGS V demo.

#40 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3179 posts) -

They beat the main mission in 2 hours.

Not the game.

Ground Zeroes was always a glorified VR missions.

POINT OF GZ WAS ALWAYS THE PACKAGE, NOT 1 MISSION

If you want to be an ass about it, both Gone Home and Octodad are bereft of real mechanic depth, are less than 2 hours long, made by a handful of people, and cost 15-20 bucks.

Ground Zeroes has mechanical depth, was made by a team of hundreds, looks amazing, and has a main mission which is 2 hours long. Then you have a bunch of other missions. If there are only 3 missions that are 1 hour long that's a 5 hour game AKA the runtime of half the major 59.99 releases today. If there are 10 missions and each is an hour you basically have an epic by action game standards.

I don't understand why people are so jealous of Metal Gear Solid being more awesome than most other games. Just let it be, alright?

#41 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@geraltitude: Because it is not an Indy game. Indy games can be as short as 30 minutes and no one would complain because it is Indy.

#42 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@darji said:

@geraltitude: Because it is not an Indy game and Indy games can be as short as 30 minutes and no one would complain because it is Indy.

Indie Games aren't $40

#43 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -
#44 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3179 posts) -

@darji: I know, it's madness! People and their double standards.

Racists, basically. Don't even get me started on the fact that a 90 minute movie costs 30 bucks for two people to see. People need to throw out their lame money to time conversion ideas.

#45 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (380 posts) -

We still have no clue how much side content is going to be in the game. Getting pissed about this before we even know the full details is just rushing to conclusions.

Also, as to the price matter, it isn't a $40 game. The price varies from $20(digital - last gen) to $30(physical - last gen, digital - current gen) to $40(physical - current gen). Saying it's a $40 game is like saying that Titanfall is a $250 game.

#46 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3179 posts) -

@darji said:

@geraltitude: Because it is not an Indy game and Indy games can be as short as 30 minutes and no one would complain because it is Indy.

Indie Games aren't $40

See below:

Also, as to the price matter, it isn't a $40 game. The price varies from $20(digital - last gen) to $30(physical - last gen, digital - current gen) to $40(physical - current gen). Saying it's a $40 game is like saying that Titanfall is a $250 game.

#47 Posted by BBOYS2231 (174 posts) -

@darji: As did I haha. Don't think I ever finished ZOE, but I finished that demo at least a dozen times.

#48 Posted by SomeJerk (3203 posts) -

In Japan you don't pay an extra $10ish to get it on a current-generation platform, just the standard just below 2500 yen price, so we're getting boned hard.

But even at $40 I see more replay value in this than too many recent years $60 AAA games, and I know this is like a chapter of MGS4 tops in content.

Would drop $20 no problem for a PS4 digital but now I'm thinking I'll go get Infamous Second Son instead as it started sounding like a bit of a safer bet.

It's also fucking retarded to call this a $40 game. Your mom's a $40 game.

#49 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5367 posts) -

I don't know if this will translate for everybody, but anytime I see/hear someone in the media say they beat a game in a certain amount of time, it always takes me a little while longer. As far as we know, it may take some of us 3 or even 4 hours to get through. Unfortunately, that still wouldn't make that price any more attractive. :(

You know what'd be real cool of Konami? If they gave us some kind of reserved discount towards the main game by purchasing Ground zero. They'd at the same time be incentivizing consumers to buy the prologue and pre order the main game. Just a thought that unfortunately won't happen.

#50 Posted by Random45 (1117 posts) -

Hopefully the side missions beef up the playtime, because 20 dollars for a single player experience that is only 2~ hours long sucks. Reminds me of when I played Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs... Ugh, that game definitely wasn't worth 20 bucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.