Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes to be released Spring 2014

#1 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -

Konami has just announced that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes will release next year as a downloadable prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Curiously enough it is coming to both current and next gen consoles, being priced as $19.99 (US) on current gen and $29.99 on next gen. Full press release below:

METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES features new advances made possible by Kojima Productions' FOX Engine, such as radical new game design, day and night cycles, and weather conditions that will all dynamically affect gameplay. The missions are designed to ease players into the new control and gameplay advances that will be an integral part of METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN.

The METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES storyline follows the series' hero, Big Boss, as he infiltrates a remote Cuban prison camp on a rescue mission, all while trying to remain undetected. Explosive plot lines develop quickly as he finds himself on behind enemy lines with little options for help.

"The advanced capabilities of the FOX Engine are allowing me to express the story of METAL GEAR SOLID in a new way," explained Hideo Kojima, Creator of the METAL GEAR SOLID series, and head of Kojima Productions. "There will be a significant difference in what METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN brings to the series, so we want to ease players into the new open world environment and its potential, allowing them to fully benefit from all that the new game offers. As such, METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES has been designed to introduce key elements, while setting up the events of METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN."

METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES will be released in Spring 2014 on PlayStation®3, PlayStation®4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One systems. The game will be available in retail stores nationwide on current generation systems for the MSRP of $29.99 or via download for $19.99. For PlayStation®4 and Xbox One, the game can be downloaded for $29.99 suggested retail price.

#2 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Well ok then, I'm still confused as to the separation of the titles and why the next-gen versions cost an extra ten dollars. I guess it is better than $59.99 but I'll probably save that ten dollars and stick to the 360 version for the "prequel".

#3 Edited by Demoskinos (14761 posts) -

So is this like a GT5 Prologue kind of thing or what?

#4 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -

@demoskinos: It definitely sounds like that. They are really going to have prove the content is worth that price on next gen consoles.

#5 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

I guess for that price, depending on the amount of content, I'd be willing to give Ground Zeroes a shot.

I've played and enjoyed Metal Gear Solid since the PS1 days, might as well see it through?

#6 Posted by csl316 (8424 posts) -

Well, at least now I have a deadline for finishing Peace Walker.

#7 Posted by ThunderSlash (1681 posts) -

Sounds like a Case Zero thing. Can't wait.

#8 Posted by JayEH (524 posts) -

Interesting that there is only a 360/PS3 retail version. Guess they're trying to get people to make the switch to digital on next gen already?

#9 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4711 posts) -

@jayeh said:

Interesting that there is only a 360/PS3 retail version. Guess they're trying to get people to make the switch to digital on next gen already?

I find that curious. The infrastructure just isn't there to support 20-50 GB downloads on next gen consoles. At least in North America, anyhow.

My guess is Konami will release a retail version as well for next gen. Might be day and date or a few weeks later, but there's no way they're too stupid to recognize massive downloads like that just aren't feasible with the current infrastructure. That's not even mentioning the horrible bandwidth caps of most North American ISPs.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9859 posts) -

So this is a downloadable tanker mission and Phantom Pain is the big shell mission?

#11 Posted by probablytuna (3612 posts) -

Kinda bummed that they're not releasing a physical copy for the next gen version. I'm not looking forward to downloading 20GB on my internet speed...

#12 Edited by TooWalrus (13164 posts) -

That's probably when I'll be getting a PS4 then. You can swap hard drives in PS4s, eh? I'll probably slap the biggest one I can find in there. Can't wait.

#13 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

YES cant wait to play this on the PS4.

#14 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4193 posts) -

I can't wait to finally buy one of these. On a new controller, and dat Metal Gear Online 2 I guess whenever.

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10898 posts) -

$30 is pricier than I was expecting, but I'm still very, very excited.

Moderator Online
#16 Edited by Napstar (15 posts) -

It better be more than just a single mission you can replay with diffrent weather conditions, because 30 bucks is a lot of money.

#17 Posted by Vextroid (1389 posts) -

Keeping my PS3 on life support just for MGS5. Glad to hear it will (GZ) be cheap.

#18 Edited by cmblasko (1193 posts) -

No PC release is disappointing. The $10 price difference between the retail and digital versions is pretty progressive. It will be interesting to see how consumers react to that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.