Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes ARE separate games

• 62 results
#51 Edited by StarvingGamer (8371 posts) -

@n7: That's what I'm saying. You don't know. I don't know. None of us know because WTF it's Kojima man.

#52 Posted by N7 (3595 posts) -

@starvinggamer: This is some crazy shit. I just want a confirmation so I can know which game to be excited about.

#53 Edited by MikeRD (33 posts) -

@mikerd: The phrase "two separate games" is meaningless without context. That's why this thread exists in the first place. It could be taken at face-value to mean that they are in fact, going to be sold separately for $60 each. It could also mean that they are simply being developed separately but will eventually combine on a single disc to make the whole MGSV game. You can't contradict anything when you have zero information, which is exactly what not confirming something gives you.

Will your game be coming out on next generation consoles?

Yes

Will your game be coming out on PS4 or the yet-to-be-named Durango?

I can't confirm that at this time

OHMYGAWD THEY CONTRADICTED THEMSELVES (not)

I'll substitute what actually happened in place of your obviously faulty analogy and absurd conclusion:

Will The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes be two separate games?

Yes.

I can't confirm this at this time.

Hopefully, I don't need to point out how the second bolded statement directly contradicts the first.

Now, seeing and being reminded of the incessant need of people who post on video game forums to "one-up," often through use of fallacious arguments and snide remarks, anyone who was simply trying to have a civil discussion and offered a contrary take, I'll just see myself out of this thread to avoid hating myself even more for making the albeit rare decision to post.

#54 Posted by SaFt (385 posts) -

Didn't Kojima himself say several months ago that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes would be the story leading up to Metal Gear Solid 5. And that was even before The Phantom Pain was even announced.

So i'm pretty sure they're just two separate games but together will form the whole story that is Metal Gear Solid 5.

#55 Posted by N7 (3595 posts) -

@saft: Even though Kojima gave a very crazy and still vague "confirmation" about it, I can't believe it, even still. I mean they SHOWED the ending of "Ground Zeroes". So, what, the game is like 20 minutes long? You go to rescue Chico, come back to a destroyed Mother Base and then spend another $60 on MGS5? I can't believe that.

They said Ground Zeroes was an open world game about discovery and you could continue to base build and then go to 4 different other open worlds. I don't understand how that can be, and then they just show us this ending in the announcement trailer.

The descriptions are vague and nonsensical, but I don't think they can be two different games.

Sure, they also said, word for word, during the panel, that "The Phantom Pain is an open world game". But what does that mean in the context of what we already know about Ground Zeroes' open world? Is it the same? Did they goof up and show us the ending because they themselves aren't sure what they are doing?

I am confused. I just want to know what's going on!

#56 Posted by SaFt (385 posts) -

@n7: Yeah who knows, didn't kojima recently talk about wanting to release shorter games representing gameplay mechanics and stuff kind of like TV shows do pilot episodes? Maybe Ground zeroes is that, Kind of like what Dead rising: Case Zero was for Dead Rising 2. That would explain the shortness of Ground zeroes then.

But i'm pretty sure that's just me not making any sense.

#57 Edited by StarvingGamer (8371 posts) -

@mikerd said:

@starvinggamer said:

@mikerd: The phrase "two separate games" is meaningless without context. That's why this thread exists in the first place. It could be taken at face-value to mean that they are in fact, going to be sold separately for $60 each. It could also mean that they are simply being developed separately but will eventually combine on a single disc to make the whole MGSV game. You can't contradict anything when you have zero information, which is exactly what not confirming something gives you.

Will your game be coming out on next generation consoles?

Yes

Will your game be coming out on PS4 or the yet-to-be-named Durango?

I can't confirm that at this time

OHMYGAWD THEY CONTRADICTED THEMSELVES (not)

I'll substitute what actually happened in place of your obviously faulty analogy and absurd conclusion:

Yes.

I can't confirm this at this time.

Hopefully, I don't need to point out how the second bolded statement directly contradicts the first.

Now, seeing and being reminded of the incessant need of people who post on video game forums to "one-up," often through use of fallacious arguments and snide remarks, anyone who was simply trying to have a civil discussion and offered a contrary take, I'll just see myself out of this thread to avoid hating myself even more for making the albeit rare decision to post.

You're making a false assumption based on your own implied context for the meaning of "two separate games". That statement alone in no way indicates whether Ground Zeroes / Phantom Pain will be included on one disc, two discs, in one box, two boxes, or purely digitally. Boor confirms that they are two separate games, whatever that may mean to Konami and their PR. He cannot confirm the fashion in which those two games will eventually be served up. There is no contradiction as long as you don't let your imagination get out of control.

#58 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11292 posts) -

If this means two full length MGS games (whatever that means, given how weird these games are and the fact that Peace Walker was real long if you did all the side stuff), then great!

If this means one MGS game split into two and each half costs $60, then boo!

It'll probably be something in between.

#59 Posted by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

If you can't tell from my avatar, I'm a MGS fan, So... as long as both games atleast the length of the shortest MGS game in the series I don't have any problem with them releasing two games at full retail price.

#60 Edited by TruthTellah (9308 posts) -

So, it's like the first part of MGS2. Different game before the real game set in the future starts.

I think they were pretty clear despite any odd translations afterward. MGSV will be a game encompassing two major segments. A prologue called Ground Zeroes, followed by the bulk of the game, The Phantom Pain.

#61 Posted by muthachugga (46 posts) -

In a Game Trailers interview, Kojima mentioned once again that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain will be released separately. "We can't comment just yet on how these things will be distributed and sold," he said. Ground Zeroes, the prologue, will come first, Kojima said, and will introduce players to the gameplay "on a smaller scale." - Joystiq story about the GT interview.

#62 Posted by firecracker22 (553 posts) -

Yeah. It sounds like Ground Zeroes could be a digital release.

I mean, he makes a point of mentioning that it's a much smaller scale version of The Phantom Pain, and that it's a prologue to get players fet wet with what The Phantom Pain will be doing.

Kojima did talk about his interest in approaching game development in a TV series/ Episodic manner for next gen consoles. Releasing GZ has a downloadable title, and then what sounds like an actual full retail product with The Phantom Pain. That could be the game plan.

But, this is Kojima we're talking about.

I also,

#63 Posted by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

It sounds obnoxious to say that someone that I don't know, whose job it is to know, does not know -- but, it just makes too much sense as one game.

Having prologues in MGS games has happened with the Tanker mission before the Plant in MGS2 and the Virtuous Mission before Snake Eater in MGS3. I could potentially see that confusing a PR person.

And he's saying it would lead into Phantom Pain... and PP is on 360 and PS3... but he can't talk about what GZ would be on? If it was on the Wii U or PS4 or something, that would make no sense as a lead-in. And we saw GZ gameplay, it wasn't a Vita game.

This whole thing is confusing.

“’Ground Zeroes’ is a prologue of ‘MGSV’. 9 years after that event will be ‘The Phantom Pain’. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game ‘TPP’. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of ‘TPP’ which is tutorial that starts from crawling.” -Kojima (I bolded)

That sounds exactly like MGS3 is set up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.