Phantom Pain dev (METAL GEAR?) to show something new on GTTV

#1 Edited by Aegon (5402 posts) -

Thursday nights are the debut for the GTTV show with Geoff Keighley. The studio head of the company developing Phantom Pain wants to show off something new.

Pictured, Joakim Mogren.

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21250 posts) -

Joakim Mogren is still so hilariously ridiculous. Looking forward to finding out what this thing is anyway. Most importantly if this truly will be a completely separate game from Ground Zeroes, or if it's just more kooky marketing.

#3 Posted by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

Great, hopefully the interview will shed some light on what Phantom Pain really is.

#4 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

It's about Liquid. Blonde evil twin. Missing arm. It all makes sense!

#5 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2918 posts) -

Nice.

I'm so excited for this I could barely bring myself to write a post that wasn't just a Metal Gear quote.

*still trying*

*still trying*

OUR BODIES ARE RAW VINTAGE

#6 Edited by Meltac (1999 posts) -

It'll be interesting to finally get some information about this. Hopefully we'll get to know what this whole thing is all about.

It would be cool, if it turns out that Mogren is a real dude and that Kojima has nothing to do with this, but that is highly unlikely.

#7 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

I am playing through the MGS series for the first time now and am loving it so I can't wait to here about this, since all signs point to it being MGS related.

#8 Edited by Video_Game_King (36003 posts) -

What would a Phantom Pain developer have to say about GTAV?

#9 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (353 posts) -

Didn't Kojima say he was going to try to fit experiments with other genres into Metal Gear as a way to bypass his self imposed metal hell solid?

If that is what he's doing with Phantom Pain MGS V then I'm pretty glad he doesn't have an editor.

#10 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

I am playing through the MGS series for the first time now and am loving it so I can't wait to here about this, since all signs point to it being MGS related.

It's already been outed as a metal gear project, it's just not been said if it's a new game entirely or not.

#11 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

"I have something to show you Geoff"

Kojima then removes his fake hair, but keeps the mostache. Geoff Keighly makes an appropriate :O face, doing double takes between the camera and the now revealed Kojima, as Kojima grabs onto a rope ladder and flies out of the studio on his private military helicopter.

The helicopter blades then cut "MGS5" into the clouds as he flies into the sunset.

#12 Posted by Krullban (1023 posts) -

What if the twist is that Joakim Mogren is actually real, and Kojima was the fake persona.

#13 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

@krullban said:

What if the twist is that Joakim Mogren is actually real, and Kojima was the fake persona.

that would be amazing

#14 Edited by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@krullban said:

that would be amazing

I feel like Kojima is trying to pull off the magic of Metal Gear Solid 2 again with all of these bizarre trailers and fake companies and stuff. My theory of all of this is that "Phantom Pain" and "Ground Zeroes" are actually just chapters within the larger game that will be Metal Gear Solid 5. You control Big Boss in one and my guess would be you controlling Major Zero in the other. The only thing is... I don't ever remember Zero losing his arm so that is where that theory falls apart.

I do think that this all ties into the same game though.

#15 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

@krullban said:

I just want Kojima to pull this charade as long as possible and be completely serious about it. Like, if he came out on stage at E3 in full disguise and started talking in a Norwegian-Japanese accent? That would be great!

#16 Posted by Nilazz (607 posts) -

The interview will be one of those when the person who gets interviewed is sitting in a dark corner with his voice distorted.

#17 Edited by Quarters (1629 posts) -

I cannot wait.

#18 Edited by Sarge506 (87 posts) -

The timing seems right as Kojima has confirmed he is giving a talk at GDC on 27th March. He will show a new tech demo of the Fox engine and has "an announcement" to make.

#19 Edited by probablytuna (3535 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@krullban said:

that would be amazing

I feel like Kojima is trying to pull off the magic of Metal Gear Solid 2 again with all of these bizarre trailers and fake companies and stuff. My theory of all of this is that "Phantom Pain" and "Ground Zeroes" are actually just chapters within the larger game that will be Metal Gear Solid 5. You control Big Boss in one and my guess would be you controlling Major Zero in the other. The only thing is... I don't ever remember Zero losing his arm so that is where that theory falls apart.

I do think that this all ties into the same game though.

Considering Zero looks nothing like the main guy from the trailer, I'm guessing no.

My take on The Phantom Pain could be some nightmarish section of Ground Zeroes where Big Boss is subjected to reliving his own memories or twisted versions of it by Zero.

#20 Edited by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

Joakim Mogren is maybe one of the best ridiculous things the industry has given us.

#21 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Kojima already tweeted that he's coming into San Francisco to show Metal Gear at GDC. Makes sense.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@probablytuna: True but if you're trying to fool people you wouldn't want to make it extremely clear either way.

#23 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

That Not Kojima picture cracks me up every time...

#24 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1838 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Joakim Mogren is maybe one of the best ridiculous things the industry has given us.

I love the entire thing. I don't think Kojima will ever be satisfied with simply announcing or showing off a game, and I am fine with that.

#25 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

It would be so great if Joakim Mogren was a real developer who dispelled all rumors of this being related to MGS.

I'd love to see how the internet reacts, but since this is most definitely MGS related, it probably won't happen :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.