Solid Snake confirmed to be in MGS5

#1 Posted by N7 (3760 posts) -

Does anyone remember this article? He said Solid Snake would appear in MGS5. In a recent interview with Hideo Kojima(As recent as yesterday), Geoff Keighley asked Hideo Kojima how much the game has changed since it was an idea in his head, and he said it had changed very little.

With the recent announcement that David Hayter would not be voicing Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 5, could this be a coy attempt to bring in a young Solid Snake, voiced by Hayter? Some would argue that he is Solid Snake.

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12346 posts) -

Let's see... Ground Zeroes will probably take place a few years after Peace Walker, which took place in 1974, and Phantom Pain will take place 9 years after that, making it probably take place in the mid-late 80s, if not the early 90s. Snake was born in 1972 soooooo.... yeah. That could work.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -

Big Boss/Solid Snake co-op, motherfuckers. Do it, Kojima!

#5 Edited by N7 (3760 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Another thing to remember is that Big Boss was a mercenary for years. This game is supposed to be massive in scale and scope, so for all we know, this game could span additional years.

Big Boss and Master Miller(Kazuhira Miller) had trained Solid Snake, personally, in hand-to-hand combat. So, Snake and Boss meet. Will this happen in MGS5? Well, Kojima confirmed he's in the game. So I guess we'll see what he has planned.

#6 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Isn't the guy without the arm in the gameplay trailer Snake?? I haven't played MGS since MGS2 on the Xbox..... but it looked like him.

#7 Edited by Nilazz (661 posts) -

So many snakes!

#8 Posted by N7 (3760 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Isn't the guy without the arm in the gameplay trailer Snake?? I haven't played MGS since MGS2 on the Xbox..... but it looked like him.

It was Big Boss. We're still going through his arc. Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain will be Big Boss. But Solid Snake will at least make an appearance, as the interview has stated.

#9 Edited by Zella (871 posts) -

It makes sense, they getting closer and closer time line wise to the original MG and there has to be time for Solid to be created and trained.

#10 Posted by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

That's what I first thought when I heard the voice and it wasn't Hayter. I think everyone is being coy about it because there is some kind of reveal no one wants to spoil. It seems crazy that they would just cut him out.

#11 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

All I know, is that I want Snake's Solid Snake.

#12 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (298 posts) -

The troll that would top Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 2 troll:

Tankerish chapter Ground Zeros: Big Boss doing the downfall of MSF and Mother Base.

Plant-esque chapter The Phantom Pain: Switch to Solid Snake as a young adult who's exactly what fans do not want and will somehow conflict with the character that 'debuted' so to speak in 1998/2005's Shadow Moses Incident (yeah I'm excluding the MSX games, as character and writing was only a small component). It wouldn't take much to create an uproar; he could be whiny, he could talk too much, or he could just seemingly be clumsy or suck as a soldier (ala Johnny Sasaki).

Until Kojima starts showing more variation in locales, character, and story, I'm gonna assume he's pulling the same shit he did with Metal Gear Solid 2, as most of the presentation and marketing was centered around the tanker chapter, which is why the switch to Raiden was such a big deal.

#13 Edited by Yummylee (22746 posts) -

I think it'd be hilarious if we meet like 15-18 year old Solid Snake and yet he still has all of dat gravel going on with his voice. Better yet, they should show you the very moment his voice breaks and the Solid Snake we've come to recognise is truly born...

#14 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6575 posts) -

I hope someday soon we get some kind of Metal Gear that doesn't revolve around the already-overly convoluted Big Boss/Solid Snake stuff.

Moderator
#15 Posted by Chaser324 (6866 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: Pretty sure that's already happened, and it was pretty awesome.

Moderator Online
#16 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1497 posts) -

So after these next two games its gonna have to be remakes of MG 1 and 2, right? Finally remaster Snakes outing into Outer Heaven and Zanzabar in the "Solid" games. That seems like the most logical progression but then again Kojima isn't the most logical fellow.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (15371 posts) -

I would love to see a HD remake of Metal Gear. Seeing Frank Jaeger and Solid Snake fighting in the middle of a minefield in HD glory would be fantastic.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11573 posts) -

I dunno, Solid Snake would be pretty young in the 80s. Would he have the gravelly voice?

Unless it jumps forward again in time, which is possible. Who knows!

#19 Posted by Cory_Sthokely (18 posts) -

Hello guys! i would LOVE to see Solid Snake again in a remake [it would be much better if we could see him in a possibly sequel of MGS4 if Hideo don't killed him with the fast aging process D:], for me he will always be the best his deeds in the previous games are memorable and will be remenbered forever in the heart of the fans.

#20 Posted by Blackout62 (1452 posts) -

The latter part of MGSV is just Metal Gear from the perspective of Big Boss. Calling it now!

#21 Posted by Sweep (9079 posts) -

Kid raiden, child soldier.

Moderator
#22 Posted by johnnymcginley (125 posts) -

I think the change in voice thing from Hayter to Kiefer is pretty clever.

Hayter voiced Big Boss before because he was effectively the same as Solid Snake at that point and in those games. He's a changed man now so it makes sense to change the actors.

Hopefully we see Hayter and Snake in MGS5. I still think Hayter's outburst was too convenient.

#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (3335 posts) -

I honestly wish this was kept a secret, but oh well. I'm guessing kojima still has some tricks up his sleave (hopefully)

#24 Posted by Corevi (6462 posts) -

I honestly wish this was kept a secret, but oh well. I'm guessing kojima still has some tricks up his sleave (hopefully)

Even if we know he's in the game we don't know in what capacity. Will he be a kid like Liquid Snake is? Will the end of the game be an HD remake of MG1? Is he only in MGO3? Is it just a weird side mission like Deja/Jamais Vu?

Online
#25 Posted by N7 (3760 posts) -

Oh boy! My own bumped thread!

Anyway. Since posting this a million years ago, I've become steadfast in my opinion that David Hayter is like for realz donezo with MGS. I don't believe in the ruse cruise anymore. I still believe Solid Snake will appear in some capacity, but not with David Hayter.

Kojima said Liquid would appear in Peace Walker and we'd get to see the reason he turned evil. That, as we all know, didn't happen. So, with as long as Kojima has been working on MGSV, there's a good possibility that he originally planned on including Solid Snake at some point but had to cut him out for whatever reason.

I honestly wish this was kept a secret, but oh well. I'm guessing kojima still has some tricks up his sleave (hopefully)

I think it's the curse of the long development time that causes things like this to slip. With MGS4, we knew pretty much everything about the game before it came out, so we had very little to actually learn(Aside from nanomachines), so with the reveal of all of the stuff inside of MGSV, I kind of hope they tone it down. We're learning an awful lot about this game that's most likely just going to get delayed into 2016. I don't want to know everything.

#26 Posted by Ravelle (1543 posts) -

@n7 said:

Oh boy! My own bumped thread!

Anyway. Since posting this a million years ago, I've become steadfast in my opinion that David Hayter is like for realz donezo with MGS. I don't believe in the ruse cruise anymore. I still believe Solid Snake will appear in some capacity, but not with David Hayter.

Kojima said Liquid would appear in Peace Walker and we'd get to see the reason he turned evil. That, as we all know, didn't happen. So, with as long as Kojima has been working on MGSV, there's a good possibility that he originally planned on including Solid Snake at some point but had to cut him out for whatever reason.

@rongalaxy said:

I honestly wish this was kept a secret, but oh well. I'm guessing kojima still has some tricks up his sleave (hopefully)

I think it's the curse of the long development time that causes things like this to slip. With MGS4, we knew pretty much everything about the game before it came out, so we had very little to actually learn(Aside from nanomachines), so with the reveal of all of the stuff inside of MGSV, I kind of hope they tone it down. We're learning an awful lot about this game that's most likely just going to get delayed into 2016. I don't want to know everything.

In a recent AMA on Reddit Hayter replied to one of the questions that he would love to do more Snake/Big Boss and that he was bumped out he wasn't asked for V.

#27 Posted by dudeglove (8696 posts) -

This time Snake is the box.

#28 Posted by N7 (3760 posts) -

@ravelle: Yeah I don't know what they're doing anymore. They also offered Jim Piddock, the voice of Major Zero, an offer so insulting he had to turn down the roll.

You'd figure these guys would have their shit together in one of their biggest games. You'd be wrong.

#29 Posted by Ravelle (1543 posts) -

@n7 said:

@ravelle: Yeah I don't know what they're doing anymore. They also offered Jim Piddock, the voice of Major Zero, an offer so insulting he had to turn down the roll.

You'd figure these guys would have their shit together in one of their biggest games. You'd be wrong.

What was so insulting about returning as Zero?

#30 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1739 posts) -

@n7 said:

@ravelle: Yeah I don't know what they're doing anymore. They also offered Jim Piddock, the voice of Major Zero, an offer so insulting he had to turn down the roll.

You'd figure these guys would have their shit together in one of their biggest games. You'd be wrong.

Cause I'm sure some high powered offers are really rolling in his way. Must still be living on that Skylanders: SWAP Force money.

#31 Posted by ikabubu (211 posts) -

The speculation was already out there when people put two and two together.

Hayter isn't voicing Snake. Therefore, it's likely that Kojima wants to put Big Boss and Solid Snake together in the same scenes.

Because...

This already happened at the end of MGS4, despite how (I think it was so) contrived. Big Boss was also voiced by a different voice actor, Richard Doyle.

Seeing as Kojima loves his recurring themes, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to do the same thing.

#32 Edited by N7 (3760 posts) -

@ravelle: It wasn't the role, it was the money. The offer, in his words, was "insulting".

@n7 said:

@ravelle: Yeah I don't know what they're doing anymore. They also offered Jim Piddock, the voice of Major Zero, an offer so insulting he had to turn down the roll.

You'd figure these guys would have their shit together in one of their biggest games. You'd be wrong.

Cause I'm sure some high powered offers are really rolling in his way. Must still be living on that Skylanders: SWAP Force money.

That's exactly the point. They offered him so little money that he couldn't take it. They bring in guys like Troy Baker and Kiefer Sutherland and you know they are making bank, yet they couldn't even offer pocket change to the guy who's going to be playing one of the more important characters?

#33 Posted by Ravelle (1543 posts) -

@n7 said:

@ravelle: It wasn't the role, it was the money. The offer, in his words, was "insulting".

@alwaysbebombing said:

@n7 said:

@ravelle: Yeah I don't know what they're doing anymore. They also offered Jim Piddock, the voice of Major Zero, an offer so insulting he had to turn down the roll.

You'd figure these guys would have their shit together in one of their biggest games. You'd be wrong.

Cause I'm sure some high powered offers are really rolling in his way. Must still be living on that Skylanders: SWAP Force money.

That's exactly the point. They offered him so little money that he couldn't take it. They bring in guys like Troy Baker and Kiefer Sutherland and you know they are making bank, yet they couldn't even offer pocket change to the guy who's going to be playing one of the more important characters?

Oh man, that is scummy. And even more crazy considering hiring Sutherland is way more expensive than Hayter.

#34 Posted by TurboMan (7864 posts) -

Having Snakein the game voiced by Hayter would be the least biggest surprise ever.

He should be voiced by Nolan North.

#35 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3913 posts) -

As much as I would love the Phantom Pain to be the moment this series folds in on itself it just sounds too good to be true.

#36 Edited by TheHT (12099 posts) -

The latter part of MGSV is just Metal Gear from the perspective of Big Boss. Calling it now!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that would be so goddamn awesome.

#37 Posted by N7 (3760 posts) -

@theht said:

@blackout62 said:

The latter part of MGSV is just Metal Gear from the perspective of Big Boss. Calling it now!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that would be so goddamn awesome.

Indeed. Everyone wants to play as Solid Snake during a "MG1 remake", but I say why not go all the way? Do you know how awesome it'd be to ride out the Big Boss saga until the very end?

The Last of Us spoilers below:

It'd be kind of like the David boss fight in TLOU. The person you're after is sneaking around, but this time, this time you're the boss. Literally. The boss of the game. You've got your infinite ammo Patriot and get to go balls deep into action. But all you get is a flamethrower in the face from a young and spry Solid Snake. It'd be fucking cool.

#38 Posted by GaspoweR (3861 posts) -

@turboman said:

Having Snake in the game voiced by Hayter would be the least biggest surprise ever.

He should be voiced by Nolan North.

You mean Nolan North should voice Solid Snake using the David Hayter voice?

I'm sold.

#39 Edited by Ghostiet (5507 posts) -

@ravelle said:

@n7 said:

Oh boy! My own bumped thread!

Anyway. Since posting this a million years ago, I've become steadfast in my opinion that David Hayter is like for realz donezo with MGS. I don't believe in the ruse cruise anymore. I still believe Solid Snake will appear in some capacity, but not with David Hayter.

Kojima said Liquid would appear in Peace Walker and we'd get to see the reason he turned evil. That, as we all know, didn't happen. So, with as long as Kojima has been working on MGSV, there's a good possibility that he originally planned on including Solid Snake at some point but had to cut him out for whatever reason.

@rongalaxy said:

I honestly wish this was kept a secret, but oh well. I'm guessing kojima still has some tricks up his sleave (hopefully)

I think it's the curse of the long development time that causes things like this to slip. With MGS4, we knew pretty much everything about the game before it came out, so we had very little to actually learn(Aside from nanomachines), so with the reveal of all of the stuff inside of MGSV, I kind of hope they tone it down. We're learning an awful lot about this game that's most likely just going to get delayed into 2016. I don't want to know everything.

In a recent AMA on Reddit Hayter replied to one of the questions that he would love to do more Snake/Big Boss and that he was bumped out he wasn't asked for V.

Eh, I don't really buy that right now. Especially with what Hayter was tweeting before the Sutherland reveal - all the stuff about his voice feeling very raspy and the New Coke crap. Seems way too convenient. Not to mention that the Sutherland reveal itself had a bunch of weird shit in it, with Kiefer always talking about Big Boss as "the character", being dressed as Kojima, et cetera.

I might be wrong here, but some things happening around that voice change were just too weird.

@ravelle said:

@n7 said:

@ravelle: It wasn't the role, it was the money. The offer, in his words, was "insulting".

@alwaysbebombing said:

@n7 said:

@ravelle: Yeah I don't know what they're doing anymore. They also offered Jim Piddock, the voice of Major Zero, an offer so insulting he had to turn down the roll.

You'd figure these guys would have their shit together in one of their biggest games. You'd be wrong.

Cause I'm sure some high powered offers are really rolling in his way. Must still be living on that Skylanders: SWAP Force money.

That's exactly the point. They offered him so little money that he couldn't take it. They bring in guys like Troy Baker and Kiefer Sutherland and you know they are making bank, yet they couldn't even offer pocket change to the guy who's going to be playing one of the more important characters?

Oh man, that is scummy. And even more crazy considering hiring Sutherland is way more expensive than Hayter.

Sadly, nothing out of the ordinary. It's mostly because unions don't secure residuals from game sales and due to cultural reasons it's kind of impossible for Western VAs to have the same status as seyiuu have, so they are often a) expendable and b) do not consider their work important enough to sign specific contracts. Michael Hollick, the voice actor for Niko Bellic had a lot of negative stuff to say about Rockstar and how much he was paid, which is why he refused to reprise his role in DLC, even for the short cameos his character had.

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.