Ugly Box Art AGAIN

• 52 results
#1 Posted by Emoney244 (160 posts) -

Another ugly box art for the US AGAIN! RIP Kaz.

#2 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

Yeah I was super happy that the UK got a good box art for 4, looking at the US one it was terrriiibbbllllle. The special edition in the UK was awesome too. Or it may of been just an HMV exclusive sleeve I got

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Where can I get the boxart with clean faces? I need clean faces.

#4 Edited by SteadyingMeat (1144 posts) -

I thought we found out about this like a month ago.

#5 Edited by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -

Kaz :(

#6 Posted by Emoney244 (160 posts) -

I thought we found out about this like a month ago.

US/EU got shown today. The one with Kaz is the Japanese one.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14719 posts) -

Well, seeing as the game is only digital on next gen anyways I'm not entirely worried about it.

#8 Edited by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -
#9 Edited by SteadyingMeat (1144 posts) -

@emoney244: Ah. I agree by the way, they look pretty dumb. Better than 4's at least.

#10 Posted by HatKing (5875 posts) -

Yeah, that fifteen minute trip from the store shelf to the bookshelf will be way worse now. Or, in today's climate, from the small image next to the game on the PSN store to the small image next to it in my digital game library. Bummer.

#11 Posted by LucidDreams117 (391 posts) -

Meh. Going forward, I plan to buy all games digitally. Box art is not going to be too much of thing for me.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14719 posts) -
#13 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

I quite liked 4's box art. This isn't so good, though.

#14 Edited by Captain_Felafel (1561 posts) -

Kaz is helicopters, confirmed.

#15 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

snake can't breathe

#16 Edited by lennyy (73 posts) -

Pretty ugly. I appreciate good box art, and this is not it.

#17 Posted by SunBroZak (1067 posts) -

I wish they'd use those drawn illustrations for the covers. They have a much more distinct look, that I've come to associate with the MGS games.

#18 Posted by Pezen (1591 posts) -

Out of ugly box arts, those are not actually that bad. I find them perfectly serviceable.

#19 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

I mean, it's not ugly, but nothing particularly memorable either.

@sunbrozak said:

I wish they'd use those drawn illustrations for the covers. They have a much more distinct look, that I've come to associate with the MGS games.

Right? Like, the one game franchise that has an immediately identifiable art aesthetic backing it up, and it seems like they just never use it that much anymore.

#20 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3179 posts) -

@sunbrozak said:

Right? Like, the one game franchise that has an immediately identifiable art aesthetic backing it up, and it seems like they just never use it that much anymore.

Yoji Shinkawa is for my money one of the greatest artists who walked the earth. All his art is so cool it doesn't even make sense.

#21 Posted by Pie (7073 posts) -

@markwahlberg said:

@sunbrozak said:

Yoji Shinkawa is for my money one of the greatest artists who walked the earth. All his art is so cool it doesn't even make sense.

The MGS4 box art over here had that look

#22 Edited by gokaired (518 posts) -

Year, Mr Shinkawa gets all the atmosphere and character in some of his most simple images.

#23 Edited by probablytuna (3597 posts) -

Speaking of the great Yoji Skinkawa, I recently found out (from GameInformer) that he had done an official Pacific Rim poster. Fuck I would love to find a print of this.

#24 Posted by firecracker22 (536 posts) -

Yeah, I do wish they'd use Shinkawa's artwork more often for the cover art. It's not so much that the cover art sucks, but Shinkawa's artwork is so beautiful. You gotta figure they focus test these, and somehow at the end of it they figure these are better...somehow. But, man they should lean into Shinkawa's art more for the boxart. Even if it's something like the Bioshock Infinite boxcover, where it's reversible.

#25 Edited by AdequatelyPrepared (387 posts) -

@emoney244:

Apparently a reversible cover is a thing for this release.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/03/snazzy-snake-check-out-the-awesome-reversible-cover-on-the-physical-copies-of-metal-gear-solid-v-g/

Edit: I dislike the box art as well, but I do understand as to why it looks the way (to get people who aren't already psyched about the game to buy it if they see it on a shelf). That's why I love the idea of the reversible box art cover, as it makes both the marketing team AND fans of the game happy.

#26 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2355 posts) -

I'm just confused by the fact that it comes in a box.

#27 Edited by Milkman (16614 posts) -

But how would I know it's a video game if a gruff white dude wasn't making an angry face at me?

#28 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

#29 Posted by onyxghost (305 posts) -

What's a box?

#30 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

I'm just going to put the reversible cover art in the thread, for anyone who stumbles onto this and is too lazy to click on that other guy's link.

I think it's WAY better than the regular cover art.

#31 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

I'm just going to put the reversible cover art in the thread, for anyone who stumbles onto this and is too lazy to click on that other guy's link.

Sexy AS FUCK

#32 Posted by Chaser324 (6390 posts) -

The art on the reversible cover is great. However, I don't have much of a problem with the official cover art either, and I can understand a developer/publisher wanting to opt for something a bit less abstract and easier to understand for the mass audience that might be swayed by something on a store shelf.

#33 Edited by Spoonman671 (4588 posts) -

The art on the reversible cover is great. However, I don't have much of a problem with the official cover art either, and I can understand a developer/publisher wanting to opt for something a bit less abstract and easier to understand for the mass audience that might be swayed by something on a store shelf.

Yep. Just like the God of War games, the front cover is for store shelves, and the reversible is for people who give a shit about what their game covers look like (you know, absolute maniacs).

#34 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

I think the box art is fine. When it comes down to it, it's about the game itself. If you are freaking out over the box art, I think you need to change your priorities in the world of gaming just a tad bit, especially when there is reversible art in the box.

I understand the reason for Konami's decision on this box art. While the core people who have been MGS fans for ages would like the fancier box art, the company that wants to make money is putting regular box art on the game that sells to the larger audience who only cares about three things: games that have "gooder" and "more better" graphics, games where they can kill people, and those who want to throw around a football.

We may hate it, but that's the truth. I deal with those three specific demographics on a daily basis. It's annoying, but it's money.

#35 Posted by ExiledAstronaut (126 posts) -

I actually like the US box art. It kind of sits right with the darker tone of the two games. I don't know why though, maybe because he's alone?

#36 Posted by RonGalaxy (3060 posts) -
Nintendo Seal of Approval

Things could be worse.

#37 Edited by RonGalaxy (3060 posts) -

@artelinarose: A few things. 1. "When did this became hotter than this?"? What? 2. the bottom 3 images are from a box set for those games, not the original art. To be honest, the only original mgs boxart to fawn over is MGS2's. 1's is just the words metal gear solid on a white background. 3's is bad

#38 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

@artelinarose: A few things. 1. "When did this became hotter than this?"? What? 2. the bottom 3 images are from a box set for those games, not the original art. To be honest, the only original mgs boxart to fawn over is MGS2's. 1's is just the words metal gear solid on a white background. 3's is bad

you will bitch about literally anything

#39 Posted by RonGalaxy (3060 posts) -
#40 Edited by SlashDance (1812 posts) -

3's is bad

Speak for yourself, America!

#41 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

hehe, you ever wonder if Konami market tests these box covers? Always subsistance and the re-release boxes look better.

#42 Posted by RonGalaxy (3060 posts) -

@slashdance: I speak for 'Merica when I say the boxart aint that great. Not sure if the ones you posted are original to a different region. If so, you're lucky.

#43 Posted by RobertOrri (1121 posts) -

People are reporting that there is no reversible cover included for Europe (or other regions, possibly).

#44 Edited by Reisz (1478 posts) -

Yep, never fails to amaze me what we end up with when the, probably two hour sketches that Shinkawa puts together are always better than any of their rendered art. The man is a genius. Do not waste his talent.

#45 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (647 posts) -

I'm glad they added the reversible art, it's pretty sick. As someone who almost always prefers the Japanese/European covers it's a welcome addition. That said, for the standard "American cover with a really close face," Ground Zeroes' stock cover 'aint too bad.

#46 Edited by crithon (3111 posts) -

finally got the game..... and flipped the sleeve. I'm only sticking to Yoji Shinkawa art.

#47 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

its also US only :/

#48 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@baldgye said:
@mooseymcman said:

its also US only :/

That does look great, but it doesn't make for a good shelf product. Feels like something that would easily be lost among the crowd.

#49 Posted by Daneian (1226 posts) -

Subsistence LE coverart is pretty baller

#50 Posted by Demoskinos (14719 posts) -

I actually prefer the american box art for MGS games we got the art covers are neat but eh...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.