Which version 360 or PS3?

• 76 results
#1 Posted by Corey_F (18 posts) -

Since Ground Zeroes will be coming out for current gen consoles which one do you think will be the best system to play it on, 360 or PS3? I would guess that the 360 version would have multiple discs or some kind of download disc to copy to your hard drive. I had to "borrow" a friends PS3 for a weekend to play through MGS4 a couple of year ago and I wouldn't mind borrowing or buying a P3 if it meant having a better gameplay experience.

#2 Posted by handlas (2700 posts) -

Wii U

#3 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

PC.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Xbox 360.

#5 Posted by RazielCuts (2976 posts) -

To me Metal Gear is a Playstation franchise so I will only play it on there, I bought a PS3 for MGS4. And then on the other hand I played Assassins Creed 1 and the others on 360 so that franchise will always be a Xbox franchise to me.

#6 Edited by Spoonman671 (4700 posts) -

I have to imagine that the PS3 (or the PS4 that the game is rumored to be coming out on as well) would have to be the way to go.  At the very least, you'll get to control the camera during cutscenes, which won't be in the 360 version due to a lack of analog sensitivity in the face buttons.

But the truth is, anything can happen at this point.

#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

3DS

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Obviously not any current hardware.

#9 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I'd suggest asking this again a bit closer to release date when we can direct you to the appropriate Digital Foundry / Lens of Truth article.

#10 Posted by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

PS3

#11 Posted by The_Nubster (2264 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

In the 8-4 play podcast, they mentioned that it would be out for current-gen consoles, but that wasn't the build they were showing.

#12 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@Corey_F: Woops read that wrong. I was reading through a different topic and replied to this one

I would imagine that the PS3 version would be the way to go if they compress some stuff for the Xbox version.

#13 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

Way too early to tell.

#14 Edited by MonetaryDread (2077 posts) -

Why would you ask this question about a game we know next to nothing about and, even if we did, isn't coming out anytime soon?

Edit: To clarify, it sounds like you are trying to incite another console war thread.

#15 Posted by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Demoskinos said:

In the 8-4 play podcast, they mentioned that it would be out for current-gen consoles, but that wasn't the build they were showing.

It was "running" on PC yet no PC logo was at the credits so that rules out a PC build (no PC logo, no PC release). So it's either a PS3 or X360 debug press build that was running on PC (common to see).

#16 Posted by MonetaryDread (2077 posts) -

@Nikzilla90 said:

@The_Nubster said:

@Demoskinos said:

It was "running" on PC yet no PC logo was at the credits so that rules out a PC build (no PC logo, no PC release). So it's either a PS3 or X360 debug press build that was running on PC (common to see).

That isn't true at all. There wasn't a PC logo on any Mass Effect ads back in the day and according to Eurogamer, IGN, and 1up it was running on a PC, not a console debug unit. Plus, in the past Kojima has said that Fox Engine is working on PC.

#17 Posted by kindgineer (2771 posts) -

360, for me, because I don't own a PS3. I would like to think that if you have both consoles that it would be a better "version" on the PS3 only because the company is use to their hardware. I'm not fluent in dev's and such, but is this the first time they have made something for the 360? That's never a good case if it's true.

#18 Posted by Quarters (1755 posts) -

Can't imagine not playing MGS on Sony consoles. Some series, like this and Final Fantasy, just feel weird on the 360. Even Resident Evil feels odd on the 360 for me. Silly, but whatever.

#19 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

PS4

#20 Edited by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@Nikzilla90 said:

@The_Nubster said:

@Demoskinos said:

That isn't true at all. There wasn't a PC logo on any Mass Effect ads back in the day and according to Eurogamer, IGN, and 1up it was running on a PC, not a console debug unit. Plus, in the past Kojima has said that Fox Engine is working on PC.

In those cases, Microsoft would pay or just favor to advertise their preferred platform - the console race for exclusives was big BACK THEN with Mass Effect 1 even if it was just perceived exclusivity by excluding the PC logo. Sony and Microsoft would not pay together to not include the PC logo here - makes no sense. And PCs can play console debugs without a console debug unit (easier to cook for a press demo) - since PCs are used to make all games fyi.

#21 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Corey_F said:

Since Ground Zeroes will be coming out for current gen consoles which one do you think will be the best system to play it on, 360 or PS3? I would guess that the 360 version would have multiple discs or some kind of download disc to copy to your hard drive. I had to "borrow" a friends PS3 for a weekend to play through MGS4 a couple of year ago and I wouldn't mind borrowing or buying a P3 if it meant having a better gameplay experience.

Why not wait till we know more about the game? 
#22 Posted by Raven10 (1851 posts) -

In all honesty, if that demo was running on a current gen console then Kojima and team are pure wizards. In all likelihood there will be a current gen version of the game as well as a next gen version and it will be the next gen version that will be the one to get. The logos don't mean anything. It's what platforms the games is announced for now. A PC version might be in the works just not official, just like a PS4 version. Again, maybe I'll eat my words and the game will look that good on current gen systems. I just really, really, doubt it. Games have looked much better on PC for a while now. Just recently Sleeping Dogs looked positively amazing on PC and only okay on consoles. It is easy to do a cross gen version of a game if your engine is set up to handle it. If it was running on a PC my bet is that it was a higher end PC than they care to admit and it won't look nearly that good on consoles. If there isn't a PS4 version, I would bet there will be a PC version and in that case I would get that one and a top end computer if you have the money.

#23 Posted by Enigma777 (6078 posts) -

@Quarters said:

Can't imagine not playing MGS on Sony consoles. Some series, like this and Final Fantasy, just feel weird on the 360. Even Resident Evil feels odd on the 360 for me. Silly, but whatever.

This.

#24 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

3DO

#25 Edited by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

@Raven10 said:

In all honesty, if that demo was running on a current gen console then Kojima and team are pure wizards. In all likelihood there will be a current gen version of the game as well as a next gen version and it will be the next gen version that will be the one to get. The logos don't mean anything. It's what platforms the games is announced for now. A PC version might be in the works just not official, just like a PS4 version. Again, maybe I'll eat my words and the game will look that good on current gen systems. I just really, really, doubt it. Games have looked much better on PC for a while now. Just recently Sleeping Dogs looked positively amazing on PC and only okay on consoles. It is easy to do a cross gen version of a game if your engine is set up to handle it. If it was running on a PC my bet is that it was a higher end PC than they care to admit and it won't look nearly that good on consoles. If there isn't a PS4 version, I would bet there will be a PC version and in that case I would get that one and a top end computer if you have the money.

There is absolutely nothing to substantiate any claims of "next-gen versions" (I see it buzzing around on forums with no sources). Being built on a future-proof engine does not mean a next-gen version will exist. And fyi the PC was said to be using "similar specs to a PS3" from the Official PS Blog - which makes me believe we saw the X360 build since we can all agree that X360 and PS3 are similar and Sony needed some PR since they lost a high-profile exclusive series and debug console demos on PCs are very easy to do with X360 builds.

#26 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

Based on a 14-minute trailer I'm not going to make a judgement call just yet. And any fool saying "It's a PS4 game only!!" do the math, they want to sell games so they have to support the old platform. The PS2 had a long tail for a reason... money. That's not a slam on Kojima at all, but people need to be realistic.

#27 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Next Xbox or PC.

#28 Edited by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Next Xbox or PC.

So never?

#29 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Nikzilla90 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Next Xbox or PC.

So never?

No next November

#30 Posted by Nightriff (5156 posts) -

@Quarters said:

This for me. Even if it ends up not being this current Gen, I'll get it for PS4 then

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -
@The_Nubster

@Demoskinos said:

The current Gen version is going to be junk.
#32 Posted by JasonR86 (9744 posts) -

It's too early to tell.

#33 Edited by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@The_Nubster

@Demoskinos said:

Get your eyes checked, that trailer was the opposite of "junk".

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@Nikzilla90 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@The_Nubster

@Demoskinos said:

Get your eyes checked, that trailer was the opposite of "junk".

That trailer was also not running on current gen hardware.

#35 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

wouldn't say obviously, it doesn't look that good, it's no Star Wars 1313.

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Demoskinos said:

Ain't no way the 360 or PS3 can handle some of those lighting effects. If they can make that shit look that good on 360 I'll more than gladly eat my words but I think the potential of the hardware is about tapped.

#37 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Quarters said:

The rise and fall of Sony exclusives...

#38 Posted by Lazyaza (2196 posts) -

People do realize this game is going to release on the next gen systems as well right? because the version shown in the video was running on PC hardware, aka = the version to be released on PS4/X720.

#39 Posted by IBurningStar (2189 posts) -

It seems wrong to play MGS on anything other than a Sony console. I shall be playing it on PS3 or PS4. Whichever one it ends up coming out on.

#40 Posted by Hector (3365 posts) -

I'll probably get it on PS3. I've always considered MGS a Playstation game since I've played the majority of them on Sony's console.

#41 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

I'll wait to see how the version's run. Effects like seeing the rain hit and warp the villian's hat, for instance, just don't seem doable on a current gen in a game that's simultaneously open world.

@Demoskinos said:

@Sooty said:

@Demoskinos said:

Ain't no way the 360 or PS3 can handle some of those lighting effects. If they can make that shit look that good on 360 I'll more than gladly eat my words but I think the potential of the hardware is about tapped.

And it's no Star Wars 1313, but that looks like a much more linear game.

#42 Posted by The_Nubster (2264 posts) -

@Nikzilla90: Dude, listen to the 8-4 Play podcast. They were at the press event and recount exactly what happened and what was said. Kojima said that trailer was running on a current-spec PC build, and that FOX Engine would run on both next and current-gen builds, but neither of those were shown.

#43 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (942 posts) -

Assuming the 360 version isn't a huge step down from the PS3 version in any way except maybe having multiple discs, I'll go 360 so I can use a controller that doesn't suck.

#44 Edited by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

ALL READ: ABOUT PC AND NEXT-GEN

@The_Nubster said:

@Nikzilla90: Dude, listen to the 8-4 Play podcast. They were at the press event and recount exactly what happened and what was said. Kojima said that trailer was running on a current-spec PC build, and that FOX Engine would run on both next and current-gen builds, but neither of those were shown.

38:20 timestamp: Eight-Four Play, "SPECIAL METAL GEAR MINI-CAST 8-31-12" podcast

Mark: So and somebody... people said it was a "current-spec PC" but we don't have any way of totally knowing...

John: Right!

Was this the "proof"? (lol) Besides this is like the first time I'm hearing anyone ever say a PC is "current-spec" (lol). They described the same demo, so using a recording and not a "recount", I will transcribe the two big questions and its answers from PAX Prime 2012, "The Future of Metal Gear" conference with Kojima himself. Which is where all the sites got their sources aside from the MG 25th Anniversary event in Tokyo from the day or two before which did not allow the press to record anything and thus can't be trusted.

31:00 timestamp: PAX Prime 2012, "The Future of Metal Gear" conference

Geoff question: Now let's move on to what you showed from FOX engine, recently in Japan, you premiered what I guess was the first real time demo, running in real time. This demo that [gesturing to audience] you guys have probably read some, you know, tweets and some sort of conversations about online after it premiered in Japan after I guess it was Thursday night. Why don't you tell us a bit what you showed; why'd you show it; what were you trying to accomplish with this demo?

Kojima answer [translation 1]: So first of all, what I want to make clear, that this is not a tech demo, this is a game running on the FOX engine.

Kojima answer [translation 2]: So what we are going to show you is running on a PC, but the PC specs are roughly the same as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Kojima answer [translation 3]: So this will run on current-gen hardware, this is not a next-gen game - I just want to make that clear.

Not using a high-end PC for this demo ("roughly the same as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360."). Not a next-gen game ("this will run on current-gen hardware, this is not a next-gen game - I just want to make that clear.") - and "current-gen" is referred to consoles only 99% of the time. And if it was next-gen only then they wouldn't even utter one syllable of PS3 or X360 - let alone put the platform logos in the credits unlike Star Wars 1313.

When devs use PCs to demo games, that is not a guarantee of a PC release since all games are made on PCs in the first place and thus its very easy to show a press demo on rather than optimizing it for a console just for a press demo for a game that is still at least a year away - so only official publisher sources should be trusted on supported platforms (i.e. the trailer's credits and its PC exclusion from it).

No PC logo, no PC release.

And just because it looks amazing doesn't mean, "NOT POSSIBLE ON CURRENT-GEN BECAUSE PC GAMES DON'T LOOK THAT GOOD". Which is ironic since all the popular PC-centric games aren't going to win any beauty awards - see: Minecraft, ArmAII - DayZ, Team Fortress 2, World of Warcraft, StarCraft 2, Diablo III, Slender... hell, no exclusive PC game has won any graphics of the year awards semi-unequivocally since Crysis (2007). Kojima didn't spend over 4 years (since MGS4:GotP released) making the FOX engine compatible for current-gen specs for nothing and optimization tech gets better every year. Lets be honest, no one in this thread is a developer for a AAA studio which can headhunt the best talent to couple their wise development library. ;)

Also, you all know this is a Japanese publisher and developer? They really don't care about PC gaming in the first place since the PC market in Japan is just train and anime-dating simulators (very introverted game development in Japan). Not even the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was ported to PC.

48:25 timestamp: PAX Prime 2012, "The Future of Metal Gear" conference

Geoff question: And this is current-gen systems, but whatever we saw I'm sure people online will be saying "Oh, is that, you know, another system?" But no, that's what you think it will look like on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3?

Kojima answer [translation 1]: So this is exactly what it should look like. It's running on PC hardware that is roughly the same spec as PS3 and Xbox 360 so it will look like that.

Kojima answer [translation 2]: But we are working of course, you know, FOX is multiplatform and we are working on next-gen hardware as well and it will look very, very good on that as well.

Kojima answer [translation 3]: For example, you can see that one scene where the guy is adjusting the mirror you can see some of the polygons there, things like that that will be smoothed out if we had better hardware as well.

Kojima answer [translation 4]: So we can use tessellation to smooth things like that out. If we use stronger hardware.

Of course Geoff has intimate knowledge of the game before interviewing Kojima and notice the lack of any "PC" shout outs by him. Although now I understand why people think there may be next-gen ports. Personally, it just sounds like they messed with this game on next-gen specs to test their FOX engine's capabilities more than hinting that they'll release next-gen ports (could be possible for easy port money).

#45 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Xbox 360, played the HD Collection on 360 and it played great.

#46 Posted by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Sooty said:

@Demoskinos said:

Please read my post above this one (2 posts above; with the timestamp quotes).

#47 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -
@emem said:
PC.
#48 Edited by Nikzilla90 (20 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Nikzilla90 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Sooty said:

@Demoskinos said:

Don't you think that you might look a little silly if the game comes out and looks like dogshit compared to the reveal footage? Or if the game is reintroduced in next-gen platform announcements as being developed for (let's say) PS4 as the lead platform? People are jumping to a lot of different conclusions about this game but your commitment to believing whatever Kojima is peddling right now might be just as silly as assuming the game is a next-gen exclusive.

Uhh... Kojima himself said it would look like this on PS3 and X360. What the actual fuck makes you [or anyone else] think you know better? No one here even makes games in the first place - at best they count lines on screenshots.

#49 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@Nikzilla90 said:

@rebgav said:

@Nikzilla90 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Sooty said:

@Demoskinos said:

Don't you think that you might look a little silly if the game comes out and looks like dogshit compared to the reveal footage? Or if the game is reintroduced in next-gen platform announcements as being developed for (let's say) PS4 as the lead platform? People are jumping to a lot of different conclusions about this game but your commitment to believing whatever Kojima is peddling right now might be just as silly as assuming the game is a next-gen exclusive.

Uhh... Kojima himself said it would look like this on PS3 and X360. What the actual fuck makes you [or anyone else] think you know better? No one here even makes games in the first place - at best they count lines on screenshots.

He didn't say it would "look like this" he said it would be on these platforms. Also, nobody can very well talk about consoles that haven't been announced. "Officially" Durango and Orbis don't exist. We know they do but developers can't say shit about them yet.

#50 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I'll let you know as soon as I see footage of how they run on each console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.