Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

D-Dog just won't stay

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dredlockz

Every time I select "Stay" for D-Dog, he sits there for 10 seconds then starts following me again. And if I'm sneaking inside a camp that means he'll start walking infront of guards in his full sneaking gear like nothing's up, which is pretty ridiculous.

Anyone else getting this? Does he get more lenient as he grows fonder of you or what?

BAD DOG! NO! BAD D-D! *tranq*

By the way, if you tranq him, he sleeps for like 5 seconds, so it's even worse. And his love for you decreases.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't think he can alert guards anyways, so what's the big deal?

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dredlockz

It looks silly. I'm being super sneaky and there's all this tension, while the dog is up in everyone's faces and no one minds.

Also sometimes I crouch to take a shot or mark someone and D-Dog just moves and sits infront of me.

Why even put a stay command if he doesn't? The horse does, so it's not a technical thing, seems weird.

Hmm, also I'm pretty sure in that E3 Demo, he did stay... The dog stayed outside in the demo, and you can make him bark to grab someone's attention AWAY from you then. Hopefully he just learns to stay forreals later...

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finding this dog, by chance, unbeknownst to me, was the single greatest moment in games I've ever experienced. Mgs v, game of the century. Too cute.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It looks silly. I'm being super sneaky and there's all this tension, while the dog is up in everyone's faces and no one minds.

Also sometimes I crouch to take a shot or mark someone and D-Dog just moves and sits in front of me.

Why even put a stay command if he doesn't? The horse does, so it's not a technical thing, seems weird.

Hmm, also I'm pretty sure in that E3 Demo, he did stay... The dog stayed outside in the demo, and you can make him bark to grab someone's attention AWAY from you then. Hopefully he just learns to stay forreals later...

Well, to be fair it just looks funny, he's not messing you up. With that said they probably needed something like the horse, so that if you called him he woudl appear from behind you no matter how far you have gone from him. That at least would provide the illusion you are looking for within the game.

IndexOverflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IndexOverflow

DD not staying is driving me nuts too. In a way, the guards do notice him: If you get detected he will automatically attack the enemy which spots you, making a lot of noise while at it. This again draws more guards and well ... a quiet infiltration quickly becomes a shootout.

Weatherking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same problem, I think and hope it might be an issue of a low buddy bond level so maybe he'll get better?

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, its pretty annoying, stopped using him completely because of this :(
    If he gets too close to guards they will shoo him away, which cancels any scripted mission conversation they could be having, it's the dumbest thing.

I have the same problem, I think and hope it might be an issue of a low buddy bond level so maybe he'll get better?

I hope so, here is the E3 video I mentioned. At 26:20 the dude gives the "stay" command and sneaks into a building. D-dog stays behind all the time, and at some point he makes D-dog bark, which you can hear at a distance.

So it was definitely the design intent. You either get it at a higher bond level, or it's straight-up just a bug.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By atomicoldman

Might be a bug, I've been encountering some other weird things too (namely that explosive items will just not explode and instead vanish, and weather doesn't actually change.) Either way I'm having the same issue. D-dog is great for prisoner rescue missions since he'll spot damn near everybody in a camp, but he just won't stay put when I want to actually infiltrate.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

So he's like Ellie?

Ah well, there's enough other silly crap to break immersion.

edmundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any issues with D-Dog alerting guards, but what has come up is me crawling towards a guard lining up a headshot and he wanders in front of my view, which is pretty annoying especially in tense moments where timing is crucial.

His ability to actively mark more than makes up for that though. I'm surprised at how bad my scouting is sometimes when I think I've marked most guards before entering an area, and D-Dog reveals 10 more. Also stops my paranoia at wondering if there's anyone just round the corner I haven't noticed, which helps a lot during prisoner extracts.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edmundus said:

I haven't had any issues with D-Dog alerting guards, but what has come up is me crawling towards a guard lining up a headshot and he wanders in front of my view, which is pretty annoying especially in tense moments where timing is crucial.

His ability to actively mark more than makes up for that though. I'm surprised at how bad my scouting is sometimes when I think I've marked most guards before entering an area, and D-Dog reveals 10 more. Also stops my paranoia at wondering if there's anyone just round the corner I haven't noticed, which helps a lot during prisoner extracts.

Yeah, that ability is huge. Specially for finding prisoners. Once you develop that pill that makes you see people through walls as if you have marked them, it's not as bad without him.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Frag_Maniac

It's true, as much as I love the mut, man's best (and supposedly well trained) friend can't manage to stay put as well as the horse. First time I took him out was the brown bear capture. There it didn't make a difference of course, but after when I went to the power station to meet Emmerich, he kept getting noticed by soldiers I was trying to sneak past. If you're on top of a building he wanders toward enemies and they just shoo him away, but I was under some stairs once and one came over toward me from about 40' away to shoo him, and I nearly got noticed because of it.

I never thought I'd say it, but after waiting so long for him to grow up and being anxious to go on missions with him, I'm already thinking of leaving him at the base. Which is sad, because I really like the dog.

The game is full of little annoying flaws though. I ended up rage quitting the mission to extract Emmerich because when I got to the base I shut off the generator and ended up raising an alert because the games crap movement had me stuck to cover so I couldn't come around a corner and CQC the guy investigating.

Japanese developers never seem to have a clue how to make control schemes.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kasaioni

I've never had Diamond Dog blow my cover. The worst the guards do is tell him to "shoo". But other than that he acts like my own personal soliton radar. I used him about 90% of the time. By the end of the game I was just running into the front door of all bases, and tranqing everyone that he marks. He makes the game a bit too easy at times.

People's issues with the different buddies will depend on people's play styles for sure. I find D-Dog is great if you like to tranq every guard you see before any of them see you. Quiet can scout bases, but she doesn't mark everyone (however her markings are permanent, and D-Dog's are not)--but she makes up for that with her fire support. D-Horse is good for people who still want maneuverable transportation in the open world. And D-Walker is sort of a grey-area jack-of-all-trades depending on how you customize it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a line of dialog that implies D-Dog does what he thinks is best for the situation. I wish he'd not get in my face when I'm diffusing mines.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By rethla

@shindig: Well thats a perfect situation to use the "stay" command, he sits down for 10sec which is enough time for you to do what you need. I use "stay" right before im gonna disarm a mine or grab a dude so he doesnt walk in the way and screw me up.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

d-dog doesn't blow your cover, if anything them spotting the dog gets their attention away from you. I only want him to stay when i'm going lethal or clearing mines, otherwise it's fine.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raise the bond level and he'll stay better.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Frag_Maniac

If you lie prone, esp with the slowed breathing duck, he will not always lie low, and enemies that spot him from a distance won't know what they're looking at until they come over to investigate. As long as you're aware of what's going on and have bushes to lie prone in, you're usually OK, but it can potentially cause problems if you're on the move.

That said, I have found D-Dog is much better at healing behind you if you take cover behind something. He may get a bit fidgety at first, but when a lured enemy comes looking for your knock sound, he'll tuck behind you. I never use his bark though, I'd rather have complete control over distractions, so I use magazines and the arm.

Had to laugh at the "just like Ellie" comment, so true. When you least expect it she's all fidgety, then she'll tuck right under your arm like a puppy. LOL

I also agree with what was said about D-Walker, he's a real jack of all trades. His search mode can be used anywhere, and he can find enemies, prisoners and items from quite a ways away. I also find him to be invaluable for getting in and out of places pretty quickly with reasonable stealth. Hate the stun cannon though, it really sucks.

@oursin_360 said:

d-dog doesn't blow your cover, if anything them spotting the dog gets their attention away from you. I only want him to stay when i'm going lethal or clearing mines, otherwise it's fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.