Hayter Officially confirms he's not returning for MGS 5

• 66 results
#1 Edited by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

to anyone wondering if this is a possible april fools ruse, well..........

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/318814794847244288

Id really encourage you guys that were fans of hayter to read this message that he wrote,

Either this is the ultimate misdirection to fans, or hes truly done (im leaning towards the latter)

for added cheesefactor/emotional effect read this message with this music in the background

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjhhf9

METAL GEAR V

By

David Hayter

So,

Here’s a recap of events:

I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.

But the truth is -- it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.

And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

Either this is the ultimate misdirection to fans, or hes truly done (im leaning towards the latter)

for added cheesefactor/emotional effect read this message with this music in the background

or hell with any of your favorite music from the mgs series.

not gonna lie folks, i will miss this guy being a part of this series.

#2 Posted by Sarx (121 posts) -

I cannot fathom why Konami would do this. Hayters paycheck too high?

#3 Posted by EuanDewar (4948 posts) -

April 1st

#4 Posted by FLStyle (4712 posts) -

Are you sure you haven't been April fooled?

#5 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@flstyle: he did write that message i linked in the OP

like i said, either its the ultimate misdirection or im truly a fucking sucker :P

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@flstyle said:

When is this tweet from? I can't find it on his account, and I'm leaning toward this picture/tweet being a joke.

Unless he deleted it, which is possible, of course. But why would he do that?

#7 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

Not the best day for him to put that.

#8 Edited by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@flstyle said:

When is this tweet from? I can't find it on his account, and I'm leaning toward this picture/tweet being a joke.

oh shit, he really did delete that tweet, its not on his feed anymore...........

im leaning more now to the fact that hayter got a cameo in mgs 5 as solid snake and this is truly the last metal gear solid game.

i already see the scene taking place already, end of the game, post credits scene, campbell giving snake the orders to go after big boss.

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@mrfluke: Well, if I remember correctly, Metal Gear had Big Boss as Snake's commander up until the end when he double crossed Snake.

But I barely played any of the first Metal Gear.

I do think it'd be great if you spent most of Phantom Pain building up the base that ended up being Outer Heaven in Metal Gear.

#10 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

I feel like this is Kojima's way of messing with everyone since the TPP stuff was figured out relatively quickly. I'd love at least for Hayter to have a cameo in the game as Solid Snake being ready to go after Big Boss.

#11 Edited by FLStyle (4712 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@mooseymcman said:

@flstyle said:

oh shit, he really did delete that tweet, its not on his feed anymore...........

im leaning more now to the fact that hayter got a cameo in mgs 5 as solid snake and this is truly the last metal gear solid game.

i already see the scene taking place already, end of the game, post credits scene, campbell giving snake the orders to go after big boss.

That's a screen-cap I did of a tweet he made just yesterday, I can confirm that it's real. If he deleted it then the KojiPro cops must have got onto him to shut it down. I also suspect a Solid Snake cameo in MGSV.

#12 Edited by TooWalrus (13208 posts) -

He made sure to sign and date it.

...I'd bet Hayter appears in MGS5. Maybe as Solid Snake. Who knows.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@flstyle: No, I believe you. It's just hard to tell who is and isn't being deceptive on days like today, and I couldn't find any evidence to back that up on my own.

#14 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@mooseymcman: actually reading the wiki on metal gear nes, your actually right. in metal gear nes, snake is considered the newest foxhound member and is sent into outer heaven by big boss to then get double crossed.

im totally expecting a cameo now and definitely expecting this to be the last metal gear SOLID game. as kojima has said this is a "new beginning for metal gear"

#15 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@flstyle said:

@mrfluke said:

@mooseymcman said:

@flstyle said:

That's a screen-cap I did of a tweet he made just yesterday, I can confirm that it's real. If he deleted it then the KojiPro cops must have got onto him to shut it down. I also suspect a Solid Snake cameo in MGSV.

oh im not discrediting you, i believe you.

it is weird that it got deleted.

im betting now that he got a cameo in MGS 5 as solid snake, went in voiced that piece for them and has nothing more to do with that series anymore

#16 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@mrfluke: Another thing to keep in mind is the timeline of the MGS games. Snake is supposed to have been a Green Beret in the Gulf War before he was in Foxhound, meaning that a Snake cameo would have to be in the mid-90s.

So it would either have to be mad-young Snake (which would work, given the series having child soldiers as a "theme" in the past), or there could be another jump in time (which is possible).

#17 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

You are wrong, OP. Nowhere in that post does he confirm he isn't in Metal Gear Solid 5. He says he isn't in Metal Gear V. A game that doesn't exist, and will probably never exist.

Also it's April Fools which almost confirms this as an elaborate ruse. Why today? Why not yesterday? Or during the initial confusion? Because it's misdirection. It's a joke. A ruse... A Kojima.

Also, he didn't delete that tweet. It's right here: https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/167421698650542080

He was rerecording some lines for the Vita version of the MGS HD Collection.

#18 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@mooseymcman: i believe before the phantom pain storyline happens, kojima has said that ground zeroes takes place like in the middle 1980's? (like 1984-85) (im not too sure about this)

and then phantom pain is 9 years after ground zeroes

#19 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@n7: So that picture was from last year then? It's dated Feb 8, 12.

#20 Edited by Snail (8606 posts) -

On April 1st, nonetheless.

#21 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@mooseymcman: i believe before the phantom pain storyline happens, kojima has said that ground zeroes takes place like in the middle 1980's? (like 1984-85) (im not too sure about this)

No, Ground Zeroes is right after Peace Walker, which was 1974. Phantom Pain is 9 years after that, in the mid-80s.

#22 Edited by N7 (3590 posts) -

@mooseymcman: Well that's when it was posted, anyway. They had new controls for the Vita and needed to record the lines to get them into the tutorial codecs. I don't think the Vita version had a release date then, so they couldn't say why they were there.

Also, you guys know better than this. April 1st is "Disregard all Metal Gear information" day.

#23 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

No, Ground Zeroes is right after Peace Walker, which was 1974. Phantom Pain is 9 years after that, in the mid-80s.

ah, my mistake then,

then yea, we'ill probably get a glimpse of child solider snake, but.... that would be stupid/hilarious to me if they put hayter's gravely voice on a child solid snake :P.

i think its a post credits cameo that takes place more forward in time.

#24 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@n7: Well, to be fair, I think he was being honest about how much he loves working on the series. I don't think we can disregard that.

But I think you nitpicking about him calling it "MGV" is perhaps a bit much. That could be a typo. I do agree that it all being a ruse is quite likely.

#25 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -
@n7 said:

You are wrong, OP. Nowhere in that post does he confirm he isn't in Metal Gear Solid 5. He says he isn't in Metal Gear V. A game that doesn't exist, and will probably never exist.

Also it's April Fools which almost confirms this as an elaborate ruse. Why today? Why not yesterday? Or during the initial confusion? Because it's misdirection. It's a joke. A ruse... A Kojima.

Also, he didn't delete that tweet. It's right here: https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/167421698650542080

He was rerecording some lines for the Vita version of the MGS HD Collection.

@n7: https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/318814794847244288

and hes been also tweeting this stuff lately

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/318484753613463552

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317108460628103168

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317325777924407296

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816

i dont fully discredit a possible ultimate misdirection, but i dont fully discredit that he is also done with metal gear either.

#27 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

@mooseymcman:

Aha! That's where you're wrong Moosey! This ain't my first rodeo and I know what to look for.

Hideo Kojima made a big deal about the letter "V" in the Geoff Keighley interview. He said that it stands as much for "Victory" than it does for "5". It also is to establish MGS differently from the other games. So why would David Hayter use "V" instead of 5? Unless he was... somehow involved and knew the meaning behind it...

Also, they always distinguish between "Metal Gear" and "Metal Gear Solid". It's not a coincidence. It's April Fools day, and he very specifically wrote that for today, with the full intent of misleading us. He put the date at the bottom, knowing full well what it meant. He wrote "METAL GEAR V" knowing full well that's not the game's title.

With the constant twitter clues, David Hayter knows too much to not be in on this.

He had an avatar of the first concept of Ground Zeroes. It was Diamond Dogs Big Boss. The "version" of Big Boss who's arm got cut off. When asked about the Ground Zeroes trailer by a fan, he said "It made my arm hurt".

When asked if The Phantom Pain was a Kojima Productions title, he said no, it was Moby Dick Studio. How could he have known that if he wasn't in on it? Hell, Geoff Keighley was in cahoots with Kojima for two years, what's to say David Hayter isn't involved?

Stay vigilant. Don't be indoctrinated by April Fools. Live above the influence.

#28 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@mrfluke: Isn't that exactly what someone pulling a trick would do? HM?!?!

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@n7: No, he said his arm hurt about the Phantom Pain trailer. Also, it said Moby Dick Studio in that first trailer.

#30 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@mooseymcman: Ha!, true,

i love that this has become the new scandal for mgs 5 now that the whole joakrim morgen thing was proven that he was just a swedish guy

im placing my one half of my bets on hes done with metal gear, and placing the other half that he has a post credits cameo.

#31 Edited by Hunter5024 (5691 posts) -

I'm taking this as confirmation that Hayter will in fact take part in MGSV

#32 Edited by N7 (3590 posts) -

@mooseymcman: Well... You know what I mean! Ruse! Elaborate Ruse! Nanomachines!!

#33 Edited by Demoskinos (14851 posts) -

I do not believe a god damn thing about this game until I am sitting in my chair watching the credits roll on the game. Cause like seriously. I think Kojima really wants to pull a MGS2 again.

#34 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@mrfluke: Either that or they give up with this charade at E3 with a demo of the game that ends with Snake Big Boss talking in Hayter's voice.

#35 Edited by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@n7: u sound like a crazy person :P,

but hey no bullshit, if your right your right and im a goddamm sucker then :)

#36 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@mooseymcman: true, konami does hold their own e3 press conference.........

#37 Posted by Ramone (2967 posts) -

I've got to agree with N7, I find it very weird that he calls it MG:V, not MGS5 or Phantom Pain. MG:V is nothing, it doesn't exist.

#38 Edited by N7 (3590 posts) -

@mrfluke: Hideo Kojima did say, multiple times, that he was not involved with The Phantom Pain and it is not a Metal Gear Solid game. Multiple times. Over and over. And look what happened. It's MGSV.

David Hayter's denial could mean nothing. The April 1st timing is no coincidence. It can't be. No one would be that naive. Especially David Hayter. He even put the date at the bottom of the post, to remind everyone, ayo, it's April Fools day.

#39 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@mrfluke: I was just re-watching the amazing 2011 Konami thing with the EXTENDED bits about Transfarring.

He said that his next (Fox Engine) game would have Transfarring too. Hm...

@n7: My Response: TRANSFARRING!

#40 Edited by Yummylee (21695 posts) -

So no David Hayter in Moist Gingers V?! Fuck this bullshit.

#41 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11067 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Against my better judgment, I did a Google search for moist gingers v.

All that came up were cooking recipes and alcohol mixes.

This thread was the only thing that came up if I put quotes around the search.

#42 Posted by mrfluke (5166 posts) -

@n7: and the recent interview with keighley said that he was just joking around with the moby dick studios thing and he was glad that the fans played along with it, he loves to keep a ruse going for a while to get people talking. (the whole joakrim morgen thing being cg or real is a good example of fans over speculating :P)

and then the whole thing with the fact that people discovered very very shortly that the phantom pain trailer had the words metal gear solid V in them (and jeff tweeted something during that time where they kinda spoiled the surprise at a party they held). so it reallly wasnt a big surprise that it was mgs 5. (there is a very metal gear like way big boss animated in the phantom pain trailer)

im 50-50 on hayter in mgs 5, it makes sense for them to give big boss a different voice considering hes getting older and its good to differentiate the 2 main snakes, but i think there will be a solid snake cameo in this game nothing more nothing less.

bottom line though, im glad to see this fun scandal go on some more.

#43 Posted by Yummylee (21695 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Against my better judgment, I did a Google search for moist gingers v.

All that came up were cooking recipes and alcohol mixes.

Given how the most unsuspecting of google searches can conjure up the most ridiculous results imaginable, I'm genuinely surprised to see that your googling of Moist Gingers didn't instantly fill your eyes with all sorts of filth.

#44 Edited by mrfluke (5166 posts) -
#45 Posted by EuanDewar (4948 posts) -

EuanDewar
Send PM
  • Forum Posts: 3896
  • Wiki Points: 136
  • Followed by: 116
  • Reviews: 2 Lists: 0

#3 Posted by EuanDewar (3896 posts) - 1 hour, 27 minutes ago

April 1st

#46 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

This reeks of MGS2 Snake/Raiden swapping antics I tell ya! And when the game comes out and Hayter turns out to be in it Kojima will be like "bet you didn't see that coming huh! DID YOU RIKE IT?!"

#47 Posted by Legion_ (1287 posts) -
#48 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

@legion_: There's already a petition. Even David Hayter retweeted it. https://www.change.org/petitions/kojima-productions-bring-back-david-hayter-as-the-voice-actor-for-snake-in-mgs-v

#49 Posted by TheHT (11300 posts) -

MGS:VI will mark the return of Hayter as Solid Snake in a complete retelling of Metal Gear.

#50 Posted by MattyFTM (14387 posts) -

You guys are all falling for the Kojima marketing tactics again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.