Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Hmmm... "Metal Gear Solid Legacy" video has A LOT of Nicolas Winding Refn

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Anyone who owns MGS5 on Steam has access to this half-hour featurette praising what Kojima has done with the Metal Gear series. Metal Gear Solid Legacy on Steam

The first talking head you see, and the one who keeps popping up the most, is Nicolas Winding Refn. More than Kiefer, more than Harry Gregson-Williams, this doc keeps cutting back to this Danish art house director. He's not just talking about Kojima's work, he's talking about hanging out together in LA and how they have similar family lives.

Now maybe I'm crazy but I find this very interesting and very suggestive. What cutscenes there are in Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain are so different in style to Kojima's old games. Long camera movements, brutal dispassionate violence, and a protagonist who is suddenly very quiet and brooding. Kojima's cinematic tastes have changed. He's not so into 80's blockbusters anymore, instead he made "Only God Forgives" into an open world game.

(Some absurdly NSFW language in this clip)

Venom Snake is now the taciturn instrument of other people's will for revenge. Was Refn already collaborating with Kojima on MGS5, as Del Toro was going to with Silent Hills? Was a Metal Gear movie closer to actually being filmed, with Refn directing, Kiefer Sutherland starring, and Avi Arad producing? Could the movie still happen, and this featurette is hinting at it? Spin up the Speculatron!

(NSFL ultra-violence in the following clip)

Captor to One-Eye(!): "What do you see? Yourself? When I die, you will go back to hell!"

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This must have started around the time he saw Drive and liked it so much he bought the jacket.

No Caption Provided
    MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

More people should watch Only God Forgives. It's pretintious as hell but really nice and methodical and brutal very very brutal.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just started watching this now, but it was kind of odd hearing Kiefer compare meeting Kojima for the first time to meeting Spielberg for the first time. That's pretty high praise, though I doubt the validity of the statement.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

MGSV makes so much more sense now.

Kojima needs to start watching Jason Statham movies, because this silent-protagonist thing is NOT working.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Am I weird for liking Only God Forgives more than Drive?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I loved both Drive and Only God Forgives. The fact that they're friends is awesome to me.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: I really wanted to like Only God Forgives because I love Drive so much. I honestly think it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, that's @drewbert's desk in the background at 2:28 in the segment with Peter Brown. Officially, Drew is part of the Metal Gear universe.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By hassun

@sloppydetective: It goes really far up its own ass in the name of styyyyyyyyyyle but I do like that style.

As for Kojima being very influenced by the films he's been watching, no surprises there.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voxus said:

Also, that's @drewbert's desk in the background at 2:28 in the segment with Peter Brown. Officially, Drew is part of the Metal Gear universe.

Drew is definitely part of the Metal Gear universe.

Also, it's weirdly gratifying to see that this thread didn't die the ignoble no-response-death that I thought it did. Notifications must not be working lately.

No Caption Provided

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really liked Drive because it was Refn's attempt at telling a coherent story, simple as it was. Really well done.

I like Only God Forgives because the imagery is striking and beautiful, but much like Valhalla Rising that's really all there is to it.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

and not one mention of david hayter

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By infantpipoc

Personally I just think that Nicolas Winding Refn is here to acknowledges that Hideo Kojima is a surrealism artist like him, after MGSV. Also, Quite is actually like protagonists in the last 3 Nicolas Winding Refn movies, since he said that the man with one eye in Valhalla Rising, the driver in Drive and that Thai cop in Only God Forgives are pretty much the same character.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 24

@oldirtybearon: I didn't like God Only Forgives, until I realized that the Thai police officer is actually the hero here.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do I watch this if I don't want to buy the game on my MacBook?!

Also Only God Forgives is easily one of the worst movie experiences I've ever had. Loved drive though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.