Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

How Did You Beat Episode 20 [SPOILERS]

• 57 results
    Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fruitcocoa

So yeah, this video basically shows everything I love about this game. Maybe this was the way you supposed to finish this level, maybe not. One thing is clear - I didn't believe that this would work.

I have a feeling people did this in a number of different ways. Please share - I'd love to see.

Obviously major spoilers of episode 20 belove. I uploaded it to my drop box so you don't see any spoiling thumbnail.

Enjoy! :D

Watch here! (Dropbox Link)

SilversunZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Man I love watching these creative ways of taking on certain situations in the game .

I did it [yesterday] in a much more conventional manner - C4 on the water tower then lured him under)

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you drive near the edge of the cliff the Man on Fire actually makes a point of appearing there, seemingly to try and cut you off, so you can just barrel right through him then and there. The moment I saw they put a Jeep facing that way I went right for it. I also tried to blast him into that pool of water in the middle of the area but I had no luck.

mrwhitex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silversunzer0: I did it the same way. Planted C4 and waited for him to be near the tower, but i like the way you did it :D

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Nux  Online

I just waited until it rained. Once that happened he left and I was free to call in the chopper.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

LOL! that was cool. I just used the small tanks and my water pistol since I was tipped off to his presence by the Bombcast and the credits to start the mission.

I'll say though you burned Snake's mullet right off and poor D-Dog :(

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Doused him in water from exploding a water tower, dropped a supply drop on KidMantis and then fultoned Man on Fire out. You get a blurb later that he cut the rope and escaped your balloon, but it still completed the mission.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the shallow pool of water. I noticed the multiple jeeps in the area. Got right in the jeep, lined his ass up, and plowed him right into the pool. One of the most satisfying things I have ever done in a Metal Gear game.

I did see the water towers too, right after I beat him. Definitely gonna replay this mission multiple times and fuck around with everything.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Called in a shotgun, ran to the cliff face, psycho kid appeared, I shot them, then burning man appeared, and I shot him off the cliff. Satisfying.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put C4 on the large gas tank by the pool, get the tank between you and Fire boy, with him on the pool side, blow the c4, in the water he goes.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Well I feel dumb as hell now. I couldn't figure out what to do. I knew there was the pool there but didn't think of how to get him into it. I didn't notice a water tower, or at least didn't realize that's what it was. I kept running and hitting him with a shotgun and eventually the game realized I'm never going to figure it out and it rained.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did the water tower and some of the taps then saw the jeep and used that till it got consumed in flames and was like no way man now what do i do. run around for a few then it rained,never been happier to see rain.

dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hit him with a couple of the smaller water tanks in the warehouse and that stunned him long enough to get to the chopper. I didn't even know that Kid Mantis showed up in the mission.

RuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just threw a grenade at the water tower when he was walking under it.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shot the water tower, called extraction that was it. Nothing grand at all.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Water tower as well. I couldn't figure out how to extract him though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi

@ichthy: You need to shoot Tretij Rebenok about 20 times and then you can fulton the man on fire without your fulton being destroyed.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ichthy: You need to shoot Tretij Rebenok about 20 times and then you can fulton the man on fire without your fulton being destroyed.

I'm going to assume the wormhole fulton lets you get around that?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@turambar: Can't say for sure. Just beat mission 31 earlier so I'm still not that far along in R&D.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First i tried to blow up the water towers with C4 while he was standing next to it, but i couldn't figure out what to do to Mantis Kid. So i said fuck it and ran over the Man on Fire with a jeep and jumped off it just as it was plummeting off the cliff.

GOTY 2015.

Sarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used the water pistol you get from the children. Stunlocked him. Kinda anticlimactic

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

This game is weird. First time I failed, he just blew me up.

When I restarted from checkpoint I heard the Man on Fire but I didn't see him. I just called in my helicopter and legged it to the top of the cliff and jumped in. Man on Fire only came after us right at the end as we were flying away - hurled a couple of fireballs at us but they narrowly missed so I dunno - success.

Getting TO that area though was cool as shit.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NeoCalypso

@demoskinos said:

Alternatively you can call a supply drop on him to knock him out instantly.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Water Pistol. Sounds like most people try a few squirts and think it doesn't work -- you can totally beat him with it, it just takes about 150-200 shots, just squirtin' nonstop and he eventually gets stunned and you fulton him. Best thing ever.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fawkes

When I tried using the water pistol Kaz came over the radio and said that wasn't enough water for it to work.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I hit that mission, I had already developed the Mobility 3 arm addition that gives you fast sprinting speed, so I just ran when I was told to run, didn't look back and got out without fighting or firing a shot.

In fact I was surprised to find a mission objective of "fight off the Man on Fire" as I was unable to see a point where I needed to do that.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Bollard

@wacomole said:

When I hit that mission, I had already developed the Mobility 3 arm addition that gives you fast sprinting speed, so I just ran when I was told to run, didn't look back and got out without fighting or firing a shot.

In fact I was surprised to find a mission objective of "fight off the Man on Fire" as I was unable to see a point where I needed to do that.

You mean you ran through the cave before it even collapsed?

I wanted to work out the smarter way to beat the mission, but I had fultoned the jeep facing the cliff already and when I rammed him in the corner with the other jeep nothing happened until it exploded. Couldn't figure out how to get him in the reservoir, but I had a suspicion it was to do with the explosive tank. Tried to fulton him and failed, tried the water pistol and gave up because of the Kaz call, so in the end just went with "rocket the water tower after calling in the heli." I wonder if there are any consequences for not killing him or extracting him.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't get the timing right on the water tower stun + call in a helo real quick so I called in a shotgun and blasted him into the water reservoir

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So for me he followed me into the building and I hid/ran away and called the chopper. He was still int he building when the chopper took off, and his fire balls kept hitting the building insides as we flew to safety.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

I shot the explosive barrels under the water towers to drop them on him, then lured him into the warehouse and did the same with the small water tanks there (no barrels but simply shooting them worked).

Apparently this wasn't enough because he kept coming. I ran out of water sources (the pool was empty for me) and I dodged fireballs til it rained.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I couldn't get the timing right on the water tower stun + call in a helo real quick so I called in a shotgun and blasted him into the water reservoir

Took me a while, you had to call the heli before you shot the tower, and wait for as long as possible before shooting it. Even doing that he still launched 1 fireball at the heli as I left.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By darkvare

i jumped into the water puddle, realising shooting at the firey guy was pointless i put on my night vision googles and unloaded on the child figured it was better than wait for the fire dude to do his sebastian shaw impression.

I almost ran out of ammo but the rain came down and the fight was over

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Strangely enough I just called in a chopper at the NE point and then ran to it while the Man on Fire never saw me. When he finally did, the chopper dodged his first fireball and then his next couple hit the roof of the hollowed building, never actually hitting the chopper until I got away. I guess that counts?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a water tower? I waited until he was next to the small pool of water and ran him down with a jeep so he fell into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lured him next to the pool of water and then shot a rocket launcher at his feet to knock him into it. I never even noticed the water tower.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hit him with both the water towers, but he kept reviving so eventually I just ran away and fled in the chopper on the other side of the map before he could destroy it. it's a bummer because I felt like I had figured it out with the water towers but it still wasn't enough

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wacomole

@bollard said:
    @wacomole said:

You mean you ran through the cave before it even collapsed?

I believe so. Can't fully remember, but I know I didn't get out by chopper as I remember going back through the mist path.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I C4'ed a water tower he was under and gave him a shower.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ch3burashka

I didn't see the water tower until I was taking off.

First I ran around the warehouse and saw the water tanks. I got him twice that way and tried carrying and fultoning, but Tretiy Ryebonok showed up and cock-blocked me. After that I was left with no more water tanks. I ran around and found the pool of water and stood in it, hoping he'd walk in, but no dice. He was shooting his fireballs at me. I jumped out and tried crawling away, and as we walked toward me, he ignited the fuel tank next to the pool which blew him into the water. It was fucking amazing.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I used a gun to shoot him and a rocket launcher but as you all know bullets dont do anything to him. Then I saw the small water tanks in the building so I would wait for him to come around and shoot them so he could get wet. I spent about 5 min just running around until I realized there was actual water tanks which I could shoot so I did that and called the chopper. The thing about the chopper is that I would call it right after he had been stunned by the water so by the time I would get into the chopper, the fire man would shoot it down. I just had to call the chopper a couple of seconds before I shot the water tower and I escaped.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also just blew up the far water tower and left on the chopper.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knowing that The Man on Fire was susceptible to water in earlier scenes and the fact I had already gained the ability to control the weather, I called in a rain storm and that was that.

groposo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got into the big square pool, waited for him to show up and start his attack animation, then circled around to his back and just blasted him with my shotgun until he fell into the water.

I usually prefer shotguns in games, and this game gives shotguns the power they deserve. And I love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@fruitcocoa: That is actually one of the recommended ways to beat him in the official guide.

I didn't realize was supposed to call in the chopper, I thought Miller said he called it in and I just needed to survive. So my first attempt I did just that and died probably really close to the point where it starts raining. Second time I just did the water tower and called in the chopper.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jaymii

I kind of loved this mission because for the first time I had such an easy ride. I'm always stuck on these things for like, an hour but I did it in seconds. I called the helicopter, ran to the other side of the yard, ran back to the other side, jumped in the helicopter and started shooting everything... I guess knocking over a water tower in the process?

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like @sloppydetective I didn't realize I had to call in the helicopter myself. I hit him with both water towers and two sets of propane tanks. That didn't seem to do anything but stun him for a bit each time. He did lose sight of me though, and focused a lot on Quiet instead. I used that time to try to come up with another plan, and then it started to rain. Yup, real heroic there, Boss.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think it would have worked, but I was able to call the helicopter and fly away without dealing with him. But only because he was trying to shoot down the helicopter while inside that metal warehouse thing.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried using the water pistol at first and got nowhere. I remembered seeing the pool of water before entering the building so I led him there. Used a smoke grenade to stun him by the edge of it then threw a hand grenade behind him to knock him into it.

Didn't try using the Jeep since I fultoned it before even entering the building. If it's not bolted down it's going into the magic sky.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ran around while shooting the little water canisters, then I noticed the little pool and ran over to it but by that time it had started rained and it just ended. Didn't notice any big water tower, didn't see kid Mantis, oh well.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just replayed it because of this thread, he ended up doing the bullet explosion right under one of the big tanks, and ended up drowning himself. So I fultoned him in a wormhole and got the "he cut the ropes" dialogue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.