Metal Gear Online is returning.

#1 Edited by RecSpec (3752 posts) -

In this interview via CVG, Kojima confirms that they are working on mutliplayer for MGSV.

Will MGSV have an online multiplayer mode like the previous game?

Yes, we plan on creating Metal Gear Online. Multiplayer right now is being created at our LA studio as well as us. We're working closely to create a vast multiplayer for all the fans.

The online mode in Subsistence is the most fun I've had in an online game, and I probably spent 500+ hours in Metal Gear Online in MGS4. It wasn't the best third person shooter, but had enough weird stuff to keep it interesting (heroes with special abilities, SOP destab) I was excited enough for MGSV, this just adds to that. It would be amazing if they had a "Free Roam" type of gameplay like Red Dead Redemption.

#2 Edited by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

I didn't realise there was an audience for that. Weird, I wouldn't think of MG as multiplayer but there are already tons and tons of reasons for a multiplayer in the fiction cos there are wars going on ALL THE FRICKIN' TIME.

#3 Posted by Reisz (1455 posts) -

Fuck. Yes. MGO with the open world traversal mechanics and CQC they showed in the trailer? Forget about it, I'll catch you later Titanfall. I've got my MP set for the next 4 years. I don't intend on making the same mistake I made with MGO on PS3 and realise two weeks before the servers shut down that I didn't play it as much as I wanted.

#4 Edited by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Yes! I was a huge fan of MGO when it was active in MGS4. Glad to see it's coming back.

#5 Edited by IamTerics (400 posts) -

I have very fond memories MGO for MGS4. That had such great multiplayer modes. Now I'm even more stoked for MGSV! Hopefully they're smarter about it this time. None of that Konami ID stuff or that long-ass ingame download.

#6 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (476 posts) -

Loved MGO on PS3 when it first came out but could never master the instant headshots or boxing that was necessary to do well. Getting constantly steamrollered got very tiresome so I gave up. Also it had the worst online community i've ever experienced online. Was a very interesting game though with a bunch of novel ideas. I look forward to seeing how this one turns out.

#7 Posted by JCGamer (658 posts) -

Man, does anyone even remember their "Konami login"?

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@jcgamer: I remember having to click a few weird links to get the beta going for a Japanese account.
Then when it finally launched proper I had no issues creating a new EU account.

#9 Posted by WebScud (114 posts) -

@jcgamer: That thing was a horror. I'm glad that was the only instance of a publisher skirting the marketplaces.

#10 Posted by WebScud (114 posts) -

I enjoyed the Rumble Roses girls in MGO1. I recall being able to grab and suplex people as they ran by. Then, when they were dazed, headshot city.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14510 posts) -

So I really hope they don't dumb down the controls. How MGO on MGS4 handled was part of the fun of it. There was a real learning curve to the game. I still think the Sneaking Mission mode is the best fucking multiplayer mode EVER. Being solid snake among two factions warring it out and having to stealthily take people out and grab their dog tags was so much fucking fun.

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1828 posts) -

Lady soldiers day one this time or I will throw a tantrum.

#13 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@artemesia said:

Lady soldiers day one this time or I will throw a tantrum.

Ugh, at least do something original :P

Tantrums related to something like that are being thrown all the time.

Make a youtube video ala "Chris Crocker" and his "Leave Britney Alone" thing.

#14 Edited by Reisz (1455 posts) -

So I really hope they don't dumb down the controls. How MGO on MGS4 handled was part of the fun of it. There was a real learning curve to the game. I still think the Sneaking Mission mode is the best fucking multiplayer mode EVER. Being solid snake among two factions warring it out and having to stealthily take people out and grab their dog tags was so much fucking fun.

I am a little worried about this, MGO 3 (Does that name work? we wouldn't count Portable Ops right?) is being developed by Kojima Productions LA, depending on their staff we may be looking at a more western approach to multiplayer, I hope not though, I'm right there with you about the controls. As I understand it there is still a solid Kojipro Japan core team out here now so fingers crossed.

#15 Edited by Nights (602 posts) -

I'm so excited for the return of MGO (assuming they don't royally screw it up). Just the other day I was thinking about how much I missed MGO, then I saw this thread. I really hope they keep and even expand upon the character customization aspect of the game.

#16 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4237 posts) -

Oh shit, this is awesome news. MGO was great, but, if memory serves right, it was in the early days of PSN so signing up and downloading patches and all that left a lot to be desired to say the least. I just remember a lot of jank lol. Definitely looking forward to this.

#17 Posted by 49th (2666 posts) -

I didn't really understand how to play Metal Gear when MGO was around, but now that I've been through the older games and 'get it' I am looking forward to playing MGO properly. All I remember doing is getting stuck looking at playboys and put into CQC.

#18 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4136 posts) -

Aw, hell yea! I think there was a man-cannon in the first one.. I wouldn't know.

#19 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

@demoskinos: What is dumbing down the controls to you? MGS4 made improvements to modernize the control scheme to allow MP to be even more fun than it was in Subsistence, but overall it had more options for combat. Having an American team take a crack at the online should be exactly what the series needs, the quirky of Japan and the tightness of an American shooter.

#20 Posted by two_socks (222 posts) -

The tightness of American shooters often comes with the price of the blandness of American shooters.

#21 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

Right, which is why its a good thing the multiplayer is being handled in the US AND Japan. It can possibly take best of both worlds, tight controls and weirdly unique gametypes.

#22 Posted by DonutFever (3546 posts) -

Hopefully you can just use your normal XBL/PSN account this time.

#23 Posted by Dacnomaniac (437 posts) -

As long as it isn't the shitty pay monthly thing they had for MGO, i'm all in...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.