Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Metal Gear Scanlon V: The Dantom Pain Waiting Room

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

It's fucking happening.

Praise be to Jason.

(For clarification - this was just announced live on air at the pre-pax show. Jeff said they're doing it at/around launch cos fuck it.)

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not sure Drew knows what he's getting into. MGSV is, by all accounts, a huge game. Much bigger than the previous ones.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of me wishes Drew would play the game on his own time and really rollick in the open world and take his time, then write a review or have a podcast about it.

The other part of me knows that Drew has said he doesn't care for open world games and just likes to mainline the story, which makes me think this could be great.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By confusedowl

This is the best damn website. Can't wait!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Holy macaroni! Now I have to decide between watching them play it or playing it myself on launch day!

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like Dantom Pain. To me it sounds like what you would call that feeling you have when you hear Dan say stuff only Dan would say, like Terminator 3 was a good movie etc.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BladedEdge

Eh, the reviewer over at Gamespot said he put something like 50 hours into this game. That's like, what, 3 or 4 times the hours each of the other games took by themselves?

I wonder if Drew/Dan realize what they are committing too by announcing that to the public (and thus creating threads like this/hype). Not that I am not all for something like this..but MGS5 isn't like the others, or again so the reviewers are saying. MG scanlon V is might well be 30-50 episodes long. Like, the entire length of every other play-through combined? Yah..I do wonder.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

At launch? I thought it would be 6 months at least!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Since this is actually happening, I think I will say screw it and just watch Drew play the game. Maybe I will get it at a later date.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think Giant Bomb just saved me 60 dollars.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so hype now. Also is this showing up cause I can only see the op on my phone.

Tanum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this where the line starts? I'd like to purchase tickets.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I joined in the chat hype explosion when he just went 'alright fuck it' and announced it.

I can finally play an MGS game at the same time!

Though I'll probably need to re-up my subscription now while the sale's goin'.

thesteve19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladededge: It may get to where they only stream story missions.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mbdoeden

Super excited to play along with Drew and Dan. I have a feeling it'll be especially exciting to watch as they'll be discovering things together and showing each other cool open world shit AND sharing the story.

Sharing all of that with the audience is even better. Sounds cool!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really glad to see this happening. Totally thrilled to sort of experience this game along side some folks.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, this happening coupled with Vinny not getting enough time to play games at home, and Austin's anime editor status....we just might get a FzzzfssefGBEASTzsjksdfuuuwPERSONAzsdsdfkfeFIVEshhhhhhawhER!@#

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I'll buy Mad Max instead then and just watch this!

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

You know, this happening coupled with Vinny not getting enough time to play games at home, and Austin's anime editor status....we just might get a FzzzfssefGBEASTzsjksdfuuuwPERSONAzsdsdfkfeFIVEshhhhhhawhER!@#

Yo...

Don't play with my heart here.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesteve19: I would be ok with that. But..they would kinda have to have someone beat it first, so that they knew, where to stop and start the recording sessions.

Mind you, if what we get is not really MG Scanlon 5, but more like "MGS5, Endurance Run" I would be totally ok with that. I just wonder if they realize that ,as they have been doing it, it will be more like the second than the first. Your idea for how to avoid that is, however, correct.

We shall see, and I know I at least expect to enjoy it, regardless.

MikeRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeRD

I'm happy for more Metal Gear content on the one hand, but on the other, this was Drew's chance to finally play at his own pace and get to learn the mechanics of one of these games, and that'll never happen now as the past 4 attempts have pretty clearly illustrated.

Not sure whether this news is actually good or not.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbdoeden said:
    @aegon said:

Yo...

Even though I know it's too good to be true, I had the same thought during that live stream...

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshth said:
    @mbdoeden said:
    @aegon said:

Yo...

Even though I know it's too good to be true, I had the same thought during that live stream...

Don't Even.

DON'T EVEN.

@austin_walker...please...

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh fuck yes! Going to spend all of september digging into the game myself and then binging this once I'm done!

Kiryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for it either. It would be a cruel twist of fate if it's gets delayed...

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, I was kind of hoping Drew would be able to play this off-air and at his own speed.

I'm not complaining, though. I'm excited to watch this once I play through it myself.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Epic. They'll be the rest of the year at least playing through this one.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain: Apparently not.

The sentiment expressed by Jeff during the pre-pax show was that, with publishers letting people freely stream/youtube the whole game (and in some cases even paying people to play through and stream their games), GB's stance is changing with the times. No more 6-month standoff period.

Shit's happening at release (or around release... whenever they get around to recording it I guess).

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuckin' A. Good on you Drew.

This means I need to start playing immediately.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: I need this. I really need this.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mirado

@mikerd said:

I'm happy for more Metal Gear content on the one hand, but on the other, this was Drew's chance to finally play at his own pace and get to learn the mechanics of one of these games, and that'll never happen now as the past 4 attempts have pretty clearly illustrated.

Yeah, I agree. MGSV seems like a game all about the freedom to choose how you want to approach each mission, and I'm worried that Drew will try to make the video "entertaining" rather than taking his time to scope out the area, explore his options, and learn the systems that are in place.

I'd much rather see him take a good two weeks to feel out what this game has to offer before diving in. By all indication, this is a game in which you need a metered pace, where taking the time to recruit soldiers and gather resources is vital to having the tools necessary to keep the end game from feeling frustrating. Hell, even a large part of the story is dolled out in tapes; will Drew really want to sit down and listen while the cameras are rolling?

That's not really compatible with the format they've put down in the first four MGScanlon series. They'll either just have to stream story missions after a certain point, or we'll be seeing lots and lots of episodes with only Mother Base progression.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I love watching others experience a new game at the same time I'm playing it, just have to stay ahead of the episodes!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By colourful_hippie

@milkman said:

Reflexroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty great news, seeing Drew's reaction to the entire series for the first time has been immensely entertaining. MGScanlon was the final push for me to go premium, super glad I did.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear 5canlon

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, I did not expect this. Are they doing it at launch, or are they waiting a while?

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Scanlon V: The Dantom Pain.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ksaw said:

Metal Gear Scanlon V: The Dantom Pain.

@konig_kei: That makes two - I'll change it and see how the shoe fits :P

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wont Dan want to play it himself though?

Instead of playing the whole thing wouldn't it be a better idea to say have them play large amounts of the game on their own time, and then pop in alternating between Dan and Drew, perhaps having them do side ops in the videos to show off how they have been progressing/ discuss story beats they've encountered up that point?

I don't think a traditional full Drew-only play-through really fits here.

I'd imagine that Dan will jump far enough ahead the day the game comes out such that Metal Gear Scanlon will have no prayer of catching up.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dan_CiTi

God I need this game now. That being said, I'll watch this after I finish the game/am almost done with it since I'll probably beat it before they do. I hope they take a different approach to this as this game has a lot of open world-ness that Drew would probably want to sink into rather than power through (more or less) for a video series. Maybe Dan can finally be of some more accurate help since he will be playing the game at the same time.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Man, I really hope you guys are joking. More than maybe any other series, playing a MGS game is far different from watching one. Especially one played by Drew.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:
    @mikerd said:

Yeah, I agree. MGSV seems like a game all about the freedom to choose how you want to approach each mission, and I'm worried that Drew will try to make the video "entertaining" rather than taking his time to scope out the area, explore his options, and learn the systems that are in place.

I'd much rather see him take a good two weeks to feel out what this game has to offer before diving in. By all indication, this is a game in which you need a metered pace, where taking the time to recruit soldiers and gather resources is vital to having the tools necessary to keep the end game from feeling frustrating. Hell, even a large part of the story is dolled out in tapes; will Drew really want to sit down and listen while the cameras are rolling?

That's not really compatible with the format they've put down in the first four MGScanlon series. They'll either just have to stream story missions after a certain point, or we'll be seeing lots and lots of episodes with only Mother Base progression.

I think Drew has mentioned in the past that he doesn't like open-world games because anything that isn't part of the core story is a distraction. So I guess he's okay to play the game so soon for the segment, as long as he gets to shoot straight down the story path.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad I'll be way too busy playing the game itself to watch this. Should be fun nonetheless.

4 days, Christ. It's been a long wait. A friend and I are even making an event out of the launch day. He'll be swinging around to my place for us to play the opening few hours together.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too new, this doesn't feel right. Also for the sake of sanity they should definitely mainline it. I also wonder if it will lose something with both participants being fresh this time.

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overly excited to see how @drewbert plays through this. He is the modern Jesus.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, okay.

YEAH, OKAY.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.