Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain E3 Trailer [UP:1080 60]

• 58 results
#1 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5039 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain E3 Trailer

GAMERSYDE 1080 60FPS TRAILER, 1GB DOWNLOAD

add another one to the list of great Metal Gear Trailers. HYPE. Snake is back.Game looks really good, like real good.

COMING 1984

#2 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3385 posts) -

Big Boss just rubbed cremated ashes on his face. Shit, and nobody saw his backstabbing coming in Metal Gear? That shit be cray cray.

The dude who was carrying the urn looked super pissed at Big Boss for trying to take it away from him. Oh man and the guy behind him face say it all.

#3 Posted by Steadying (1238 posts) -

Skull Face! :O

Anyway, this wasn't that hard to watch.

#4 Posted by crithon (3230 posts) -

and it video set to private..... well, this is one leaky e3.

#5 Edited by Glottery (1276 posts) -

I guess fans of the series might get more out of this? Personally this was the very opposite of the Witcher 3 trailer in terms of being interesting at all.

#6 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1097 posts) -

damn video went private!!

#7 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

I bet he'll give himself a dumb(er) name when he gets the horn. Cool trailer, though.

#8 Posted by Steadying (1238 posts) -
#9 Posted by Reisz (1497 posts) -

Oh my god, I am So fucking glad this is private now, I wanted so badly to watch it but don't want to ruin the experience tomorrow. Now my choice has been made for me. NO ONE POST A MIRROR!

#11 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5039 posts) -
#12 Posted by TheHT (11253 posts) -

Ya that's a good trailer. Looks like shit gets really fuckin raw.

#13 Edited by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

Going off of that trailer, MGSV looks like it's trying waaay too hard to be grimdark. I know this is supposed to be the dark transition in Big Boss's life to full on villain, but c'mon.

As far as Metal Gear trailers go, this is kinda one of the weaker ones. Lots of new scenes, but the song doesn't do much for me. Like, it's a weirdly paced trailer with the scenes and song.

#14 Edited by crithon (3230 posts) -

thanks for the upload.... wow, that's a lot man, blood and ash.

#15 Edited by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

Ponytail Stealth.

This changes everything.

#16 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@minipato: Don't worry, they'll cut the tension by having Snake immediately take a giant, wet shit on screen after executing a dozen child soldiers.

#17 Posted by GunstarRed (5182 posts) -

It's ok. I liked the last trailer a hell of a lot more. Maybe this stuff is a little less exciting post Ground Zeroes... I dunno. I think the thing I want to see more of at this point is Kiefer Sutherland speaking.

#18 Posted by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

@minipato: To be fair, a lot of pre-release MGS trailers play it super straight when the game itself is more of a mix.

I mean, they also just showed him walking around in his iconic cardboard box this week, as well. So, MGSV should still have its goofiness.

#19 Edited by NTM (7379 posts) -

Oh darn, all of them are taken down now.

Edit - Oh, but not now. What the heck. Hm, I wouldn't say I was impressed by the trailer, but it has me interested in what's going on more.

#20 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

@minipato: Don't worry, they'll cut the tension by having Snake immediately take a giant, wet shit on screen after executing a dozen child soldiers.

You're thinking of Johnny Sasaki. Learn your Metal Gears. You'll see Johnny's uncle shit his pants just before getting shot by a child soldier.

#21 Posted by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

Shouldn't we also note that this may not be the final E3 trailer? It could be an earlier cut from Japan.

Though, I thought it was pretty good. More directly from the game than super produced like previous trailers.

#22 Edited by MachoFantastico (4687 posts) -

Mike Oldfield track? I love you Hideo Kojima.

As someone debating which new console to get, stuff like this makes my decision easier.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5272 posts) -

@minipato said:

Going off of that trailer, MGSV looks like it's trying waaay too hard to be grimdark. I know this is supposed to be the dark transition in Big Boss's life to full on villain, but c'mon.

I dunno, considering you play MGS4 as a dude who is literally dying over the course of the game and the only thing holding him together is a special suit, this seems fairly consistent. Like, people are always ready to go "lol MGS", but that series always had heavy shit in it, to the point where one could argue that the only way to balance stuff like nuclear war aesops, horrifying torture sequences and all that manipulation is to have crazy nonsense in it. I'm for one all for it, because it works - if I had to play through the microwave sequence in 4, torture sequence in 3 or Arsenal Gear in 2 without Snake parroting everything and goofy bullshit like Raiden's naked cartwheels, I'd probably kill myself, because that's some depressing stuff right there.

Also, the goofiest thing about the trailers to MGS4 was the Mk III and a short bit where a bird splats on Snake's shoulder while he's in Young Snake facecamo, and that game ended up having tons of stupid jokes and stuff.

#24 Posted by Random45 (1208 posts) -

Man, I bought the HD collection for my PS3 over a year ago, and I never freaking played it. This reminds me that I should play MGS 1-4 to see what the fuss is all about.

#25 Posted by Humanity (9242 posts) -

They really nailed that knife-edge-glint tech.

I continue to be a fan of Metal Gear and this continues to look amazing. Seeing Metal Gear Rex makes me giddy - it's awesome how they brought it all around.

#26 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@ghostiet: All of the 'heavy' shit is usually every bit as ridiculous as the intentional comedy.

#27 Posted by Ghostiet (5272 posts) -

@dallas_raines: Doesn't really matter if it has emotional resonance. Shigesato Itoi's Earthbound/Mother 3 are as silly as MGS, it doesn't stop them from being absolutely heartbreaking and heavy.

#28 Edited by Humanity (9242 posts) -

@ghostiet said:

@dallas_raines: Doesn't really matter if it has emotional resonance. Shigesato Itoi's Earthbound/Mother 3 are as silly as MGS, it doesn't stop them from being absolutely heartbreaking and heavy.

At this point if you're not a fan of Metal Gear then I think it's way too late to get into it - which in turn is why some people think it's such a shitty/ridiculous story. Those of us who grew up with it have learned to appreciate the signature melodramatic styling of the franchise. As someone who played all of the games, that trailer was pretty powerful in many ways - and I can totally see how those who haven't played any of them would feel completely indifferent.

#29 Edited by Yummylee (21642 posts) -

@dallas_raines: 9 times out of 10 whenever there's an MGS thread you're bound to be in there proclaiming how stupid you think the series is. There's obviously nothing wrong with that sentiment, and lord knows it's not an uncommon one (and in a lot of cases is in fact the appeal), but your persistence on the matter is what I have a problem with.

A good comparison would be my own constant shit-talking of RE6, though that at least stems from a place of grave disappointment for a franchise I once adored. Whereas as far as I can tell you've seemingly never liked MGS and just enjoy reiterating on how dumb and stupid it all is.

---------------------------------------

Trailer's pretty cool. Probably not as immediately memorable as the 'Not Your Kind of People' one before it, but a lot of well edited imagery on display and I'm only getting more excited the more I learn about the goings on in the game. An awful lot of knives being sliced around I noticed. The shot of BB's bloodied face is certainly pretty haunting, though all I've heard about the way Ground Zeroes handled its subject matter, I'm really hoping this won't all fall flat on said bloodied face...

Yes, MGS has always had seriousness to contrast against the more recognisable goofiness, though Phantom Pain is very clearly being marketed in a much more darker tone, like it's trying to effect the balance in favour of something a little more poignant.

#30 Edited by Yummylee (21642 posts) -

I mean, they also just showed him walking around in his iconic cardboard box this week, as well. So, MGSV should still have its goofiness.

#31 Posted by Itwastuesday (965 posts) -

is it controversial to say that this looks bad and dumb

#32 Edited by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@truthtellah said:

Behold the majestic beauty of Cardboard Box stealth in MGSV!

#33 Posted by Humanity (9242 posts) -
#34 Edited by A_E_Martin (213 posts) -

@machofantastico said:

As someone debating which new console to get, stuff like this makes my decision easier.

How does it make it easier? It's coming out on both!

#35 Posted by Ghostiet (5272 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@truthtellah said:

The best part is that it once again descends on him from nowhere and he can pop out of it to shoot fools.

#36 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11009 posts) -

@ghostiet said:

@truthtellah said:

@yummylee said:

@truthtellah said:

The best part is that it once again descends on him from nowhere and he can pop out of it to shoot fools.

That box is OP. Also, I think it appearing out of nowhere ruins the immersion just like the lack of hair shadows did in Ground Zeroes.

I missed the leaked trailer. Guess I'll just have to watch it at (my guess) Microsoft's conference today!

#37 Posted by xyzygy (9989 posts) -

my god this game looks good...

#38 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11009 posts) -

I couldn't resist, I watched the trailer.

I WANT THIS GAME!

#39 Posted by Quarters (1703 posts) -

Pretty awesome. Really digging the more intense vibe. All of the trailers, and even Ground Zeroes, just had an unsettling vibe. It's an interesting way to take things, and I'm curious to see how that all plays out. Also, I still really like the way Sutherland sounds for the role.

#40 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Okay so if you are a Metal Gear Solid fan that trailer is hard core bad ass. If you are not a Metal Gear Solid fan you are probably wondering what the holy %@&! is going on and failing to see why anyone would care past maybe a pretty decent song. There are some very interesting scenes in the trailer though, still my #1 most anticipated game of this generation!!!

Also the cardboard box is very OP, it has texture shading and everything! No one will tell it isn't a normal upside down cardboard box sitting in the middle of a road!

#41 Posted by fetchfox (1265 posts) -

Loved it, can't wait. The intensity and brutality seems to have been cranked up quite a bit.

#42 Posted by TheAcidSkull (434 posts) -

This looks amazing

But I haven't played any of the previous games, so I guess that makes it a problem if I want to jump in.

#44 Posted by Anwar (869 posts) -

Don't see how the 'grimdark' turn that the story takes or whatever the fuck you wanna call it is something new. MGS2 had child soldiers. Raiden was one. There is a lot of disturbing shit in the older games. That's the same thing with Quiet, people who never cared about this franchise in the past, NOW feel the need to talk about it for some reason. It's sexist this and that, it's just trying way to hard to be heavy-handed. None of this is new. I have not played Ground Zeroes, because I'm not buying those split-gen games on my ps3. I'll wait till I get a ps4 and then I'll buy AC4 and all that other good shit.

#45 Edited by Demoskinos (14829 posts) -

Yeah, as others have said either you appreciate MGS and all of it's trappings at this point or you don't. This trailer isn't making any converts but it will make the fans happy.

#46 Edited by dudeglove (7848 posts) -

Great, now he has a stupid ponytail.

#47 Posted by Humanity (9242 posts) -

@anwar: I don't think Metal Gear ever had a proper "revenge" story arch - and this seems very much like Big Boss out to get even after he's pushed to the edge. I also don't think there was ever a Metal Gear game where you have a clear goal and aren't simply chasing the white rabbit that leads you into a 40 minute long exposition cutscene.

#48 Edited by Anwar (869 posts) -

@humanity: Well, I was trying to say that serious topics and dramatic moments happened a lot in previous games, just like sexy-looking character designs. I did not mean to say that the story in 5 will be just like the older games.

#49 Edited by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

I wonder if this is the actual E3 trailer. Do they usually do E3 trailers in Japanese? I'm assuming they will have an English version at the show, or after the show?

Anyway, looks like a Metal Gear game. I'm pumped.
Also, considering Kojima's antics in the past, I refuse to believe anything I see about it until I'm playing the real game. The lengths he goes to screw with us knows no bounds, and I wouldn't put anything past Kojima at this point.

#50 Posted by Anwar (869 posts) -

@stonyman65: I just saw it in English, but that thing has been taken down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.