Hey duders. I thought it might be cool to make a thread about we know so far about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I've seen a lot of theories floating around, usually going all over the place. Let's just look at what we know so far.
What we know:
- The title: The change from numbers to roman numerals is a way of starting fresh with the series. Kojima has said that the V stands for Victory. It is their way of showing that they want to take back the throne.
- The voice: Hayter is out. Kojima said this also had to do with reinventing itself. They wanted a new voice actor for a new snake. Personally, I find this kind of weird considering the japanese voice actor remains the same.
- Ground Zeroes: This is the prologue to The Phantom Pain, much like the tanker mission in MGS2, or the virtous mission in MGS3. This part of the game is set in 1976. It culminates with a attack on Mother Base, which leaves Snake in a coma. Kojima has said this would "come first", meaning it is probably a downloadable title in the same vein as Dead Rising's Case Zero.
- Timeline: Nine years later Snake wakes up from his coma. This makes it 1985, ruling out all possibilites of this having anything to do with the Outer Heaven or Zanzibar Land incidents.
- Open World: Kojima stated that the player would be introduced to a minor open world in Ground Zeroes, learning them the ropes. In the Phantom Pain, the open world will be, quote, huge. There is a day/night cycle, side missions and different guard patrols depending on the time of day. We also know that you have to make your way to the missions, meaning it is not just large maps. It is a true open world.
- Diamond Dogs: MSF are no more. Snake creates Diamond Dogs, his new unit. This might the prelude to FOXHOUND. The name derives from several things, such as the Bowie album, as well as the term Dogs of War. Kojima did not mention anything spesifically about diamonds, so blood diamonds are probably not related to the name.
- Sci-fi: Kojima stated that if he had to put a number on it, about 80% of the game would be geared towards realism, while 20% would delve into the more supernatural elements. When asked wether or not this would change gameplay, he responded "I doubt that".
What we don't know:
- Who are XOF?
- Why does Snake have a horn?
- Why did they amputate his arm?
- Who are attacking the hospital?
- Who is the Burned Man? Volgin?
- What does "V has come to" mean?
Characters we know are in it:
- Naked Snake / Big Boss: Returns as the main protagonist. This time he around he has a robot arm and a horn of bone and debris.
- Ishmael: A new character supposedly voiced by Keifer Sutherland. He is the bandaged man.
- The Burned Man: Possibly the main antagonist. Little is known about him.
- Paz: One of the prisoners held at Camp Omega.
- Master Miller: Snake's second in command.
Characters we're pretty sure are in it:
- Revolver Ocelot: The man riding the white horse, saving Snake.
- Psycho Mantis: The young person with the gas mask and red hair is Psycho Manits.
- Volgin: Due to the pattern of his pants, the burning man in the elevator is believed to be him.