Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Opening scene (SPOILERS)

• 107 results
    FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FinalForm

Character creation!? Keifers voicing both of us!!! WHATS GOING ON!!!!!

Hideo you... Crafty sucker

EDIT: hey guys, let's try to keep the spoilers confined to the prologue and speculation based on that.

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw a good portion of this section through trailers and I was still pleasantly surprised.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By probablytuna

That fucking switcheroo.

TROJIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    TROJIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Never in a million years would I imagine myself sitting at a character creation screen in a Metal Gear game.

El_Funko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that one got me good. Well played, Kojima

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This section is going into my" moments to experience for the first time again " category. My brother was watching me play it and he was intrigued ( he's not a videogame person at all)

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Y'all are assuming it's all a joke. I figured it was a character creator for the multiplayer.

Now that I think about it, I guess I was hoodwinked.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FinalForm

Still don't know what's going on. I mean in pretty sure I'm playing as Big Boss but... Who knows lol

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Nah, you're probably right, given that later on in the game you can go back and make changes to this Avatar.

That said, i was geniunely caught off guard by that and spent way to much time trying to find a set of presets that makes me look at least close to Big Boss. Clever Guy, that Hideo.

That said, yeah. Two Kiefers? (un)Quiet trying to kill BB? Probably-Psycho-Mantis trying to help AND kill BB? Awuh?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Your new name is Ahab, do you understand?"
    KOJIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

No Caption Provided

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That opening was probably one of the most WTF openings to a game ever, I'm extremely excited to find out what's going on.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By stonyman65

I feel bad for the nurse and doctor who got choked out with the garrote. That was brutal. I mean, dozens of people getting massacred in a hallway was fucking brutal too, but damn.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

@adequatelyprepared: Yeah, yeah, the protagonist of Moby Dick, a mad man chasing a big white whale.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'm kind of happy that my theory of possibly dozens of more BB clones might be right... Or it might be wrong?

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Ishmael died from the POV of BB right?

Multiple times.

But at the same time Ishmael cannot be explained away by him being just a hallucination because of what he does and how he interacts with the world, especially when it comes to the ambulance rescue and fighting Quiet.

So BB is hallucinating, but in a really, really weird way.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

Multiple times.

But at the same time Ishmael cannot be explained away by him being just a hallucination because of what he does and how we interacts with the world, especially when it comes to the ambulance rescue and fighting Quiet.

You sure those interactions weren't partly hallucinations, too? How much of that scene was actually real?

I hope they return to that in some way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been more hyped to play a game. What a ride that was already my jaw dropped multiple times.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FinalForm

So do you guys think we're playing as the real BIg Boss? I think Im starting to doubt it. Just from stuff Ocelot is saying at the start. I thought maybe Ishmael was BB but he seems to have both eyes, when even after being reassembled in mgs4 BB still had the eyepatch...

I do hope if we're not BB that we do get control of him at some point. Lol it's MGS2 all over again!!

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Can we all agree to keep spoilers in this thread confined to just the opening hour of the game?

I'm getting major "I'm not playing as Big Boss" vibes. The character creator, the doctor holding up that picture of Big Boss, Kaz and Morpho makes me kind think I'm actually Morpho? Keifer voicing Ishmael... I don't know what the fuck is going on.

About that character creator... I don't remember, but did they not show your new face you just created in the mirror? And then a minute later it was back to regular Big Boss face? Or did it not change and I didn't notice because the face I made was so similar to Big Boss? And that was just implying that's how you will look after surgery, but obviously got interrupted? I was confused.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Part of me was thinking Ishmael was basically a Tyler Durden situation. When BB asks him who are you he says something to the affect of "I'm you" now a lot of people also said that that couldn't be because of how he interacts with the world but lets not forget in Fight Club the Narrator IS Tyler sometimes the actions of Tyler in Fight Club ARE the Narrator and he is imagining Tyler doing things that he is actually doing. Same goes for BB and Ishmael. I think the big hole in that theory is though that Ishmael seems way to informed of the goings on for it to just be BB.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I like this explanation. Maybe Ishmael was the more assertive and motivated part of Big Bosses personality trying to pull him through this situation. We also see Ishmael pull off a pretty impressive headshot peeking around the corner super quickly. Very professional like

Mode7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of me was thinking Ishmael was basically a Tyler Durden situation. When BB asks him who are you he says something to the affect of "I'm you"

I think the line was "You're talking to yourself"

Pretty amazing opening.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@mode7: Yep now that you say it that was the line.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechakirby: So it did happen! When I finished the character creator I knew that I saw my avatars face in the mirror! But because it was only for a second before it switched back to BB's face, I thought I was seeing things.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FinalForm

Surgery was clearly interrupted, we know that. The doctor showed us BB and told us "this is how you've looked your whole life, but tomorrow will be different" (paraphrasing) but listen to what Ocelot's saying. "Get used to your new body" and his talk with you at the start of the first mission.

The whole "return as Big Boss" and "that's how Kaz would want it" sounds like your taking on BB's persona.

Now that I think of it, assuming that most of that stuff was hallucinations. Why would someone other than BB see Volgin? There's no way that wasn't volgin

It's all very conflicting. Can't wait

to get off work and play!!

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: Very confusing. Maybe that should have been handled in a more "video gamey" kind of way than it was. Unless the story is going to explain that whole thing, I'm assuming that's for MGO.

Mode7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surgery was clearly interrupted, we know that. The doctor showed us BB and told us "this is how you've looked your whole life, but tomorrow will be different" (paraphrasing) but listen to what Ocelot's saying. "Get used to your new body" and his talk with you at the start of the first mission.

The whole "return as Big Boss" and "that's how Kaz would want it" sounds like your taking on BB's persona.

It's all very conflicting. Can't wait to get off work and play!!

Later (but still very early on) on one of the tapes they are talking about Big Boss being a hero to soldiers around the world but that they won't know your face. I don't know if that was just a throwaway line or if they are suggesting that you aren't Big Boss. Maybe you don't look the way you think you look. Still very early in the game, most likely wrong.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Sessh

I think the question of if the Avatar is real/was ever there can be explained by Big Boss hallucinating because of the shrapnel. Ishmael I think gets mentioned by Ocelot too, so I don't think he's also just a figment of Big Boss's imagination.

Anyway it's a great and well done opening scene and it's full on Metal Gear with close-ups of breasts, a dude peeing his pants and attacking guards acting like morons. (They never see him in the crowd? They take forever to find him hiding in the corpses and stop shooting the corpses just when they arrive at his hiding spot? What?)

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By Jinoru

@mechakirby: It definitely changed to resemble what you had picked. I'd picked one of the greyed out eyes and it stuck.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Ishmael is a hallucination (maybe a form of split personality) particularly because in the scene where you hide under the bed and you see the dude get shot in the head. Ishmael tackles you and pulls you under the bed, its VERY loud and like 6 feet away from the guard, no way he didn't see or hear that.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jinoru: that's supposed to be BB's blind eye from what I can tell. He never lost it, just damaged it in MGS3, I imagine that's why its like that.

Actually the doctor never mentions a blind eye from the crash, and it would be a dumb coincidence if morpho or maybe that medic was blind too... Hmm

As for not looking the way we think we do, Kaz recognizes BB, they do talk about his eyes for a second but I think he can see. I haven't played far enough past that to know if it's later addressed, and that's getting out of the prologue stuff anyway

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Humanity

I kind of assumed they literally changed your face.. and now you have a different one, but for the benefit of the player and the game you keep seeing Big Boss while everyone else sees the new face.

it might be nothing but later on in the game you rescue a certain character who doesn't recognize you but when you start speaking and they hear your voice they suddenly say "Snake..?!" Like you would assume that he would recognize your face even though 9 years have gone by.

Also I just naturally assumed the man in the face bandages is Ocelot all the time because he says "you're pretty good" when you first start to shoot, and when the ambulance crashes and you come to he's gone so the wounds can't have been fatal.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@humanity: The thing with "You're pretty good" is that Big Boss is the one who said it first to Ocelot, back in Tselinoyarsk

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've lived in Dhekelia and can confirm that the hospital had plenty of fire horses.

Seriously though, it's super awesome that a place I lived is the opening to the game! Hopefully more will be revealed about this area later on but it's definitely got my hooked already!

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By OldManLight

i'm so confused about the prologue. is the fire dude supposed to be Volgin? is the child psycho mantis? what's with the giant fiery whale and the other Moby Dick references like "Ahab" and "Ishmael"? Also the out of place character creator that seems to go nowhere. I love it but i'm so confused by it all at the same time.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the fact that the most normal part of that prologue was the explanation of the horn in venom snake's head.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I ran into not one but two glitches in the opening, this one was my favorite:

Loading Video...

Also what's Kevin Bacon from X Men First Class doing in my Metal Gear game?

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FinalForm

The idea that the Big Boss from Metal Gear isn't the real BB doesn't sit right. That would be a massive retcon and also be super lame. I guess it's possible, but we shall see.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Petiew

@suntoria said:

So yeah, I think Ishmael is actually Big Boss. As for who Ahab is, it can only be two other people based off the helicopter theory: Chico or the doctor guy. (Now for the long run, does that mean Metal Gear's Big Boss is actually this other guy? That's a pretty hefty ret-con).

Oops misread that. There's the pilot as well.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hunkulese

@suntoria: Why would it have to be someone from the chopper?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I think you play as Big Boss and Ahab and Ishmael are two parts of his personality. That's as far as my theory goes! :)

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Fawkes
    @petiew said:
    @suntoria said:

So yeah, I think Ishmael is actually Big Boss. As for who Ahab is, it can only be two other people based off the helicopter theory: Chico or the doctor guy. (Now for the long run, does that mean Metal Gear's Big Boss is actually this other guy? That's a pretty hefty ret-con).

Oops misread that. There's the pilot as well.

I think the photos the doctor shows you of your old life both have Big Boss, Kaz, and a helicopter pilot. And one photo has another MSF dude as well.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FinalForm

@geraltitude: I like the idea of that. Ahab wanting revenge and eventually becoming the villain of the MSX games. Ishmael, the noble side of BB we know from Snake Eater and Peace walker.

I don't know that I believe that to be the case but it matches the Moby Dick symbolism pretty well.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bceagles128

Anybody who says there aren't enough cutscenes in this game deserves a smack to the head. The goddamn game starts with a fucking 30 minute cutscene. LET ME PLAY THE GAME

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ravelle

@infantpipoc said:

@adequatelyprepared: Yeah, yeah, the protagonist of Moby Dick, a mad man chasing a big white whale.

Ishmael is also from Moby Dick and Kojima Productions went under the name Moby Dick Games in the first teaser trailer. Also Firey Space Wales.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Multiple times.

But at the same time Ishmael cannot be explained away by him being just a hallucination because of what he does and how he interacts with the world, especially when it comes to the ambulance rescue and fighting Quiet.

I assumed it was a Fight Club like hallucination.

FinalForm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FinalForm

Redid the opening just now and when you go to create a character the doctor says "what you look like, however..." And cuts off. Also quiet says "the patient in the next bed saw my face" before trying to kill you. I think it's worth pointing out that our character does not have the snake shaped scar that Big Boss had in Peacewalker

Judging from that I can assume we are not BB, but for whatever reason we see ourselves that way, probably form the debris in the brain. Quiet was there to kill Ishmael who is the real Big Boss.

Maybe it's Morpho and BB was the last face he saw before the debris or coma hit.... I don't know. this is nuts.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So who gave their actual name and birthdate? I did, as I figured it will tie into some late game weirdness a la MGS2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.