PSA: This is what's going on with Metal Gear Solid V

#1 Edited by Reisz (1455 posts) -

For anyone confused by Kojima Productions splitting Metal Gear Solid V into two games, here's the breakdown:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

ground ze·ro

noun

• a site of devastation, disaster or attack.
  • a starting point or base for some activity.

Taking place directly after the events of Peace Walker, Big Boss goes on a Mission, it rains, there's jeep stealth and everything goes bad for everyone. Ground Zeroes looks to be more straight military stealth action with slightly less Metal Gear flamboyance. Big Boss is hospitalised in the aftermath.

Release date: TBA-spring 2014

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

phantom pain

• the sensation of pain in a part of the body that has been removed.

Taking place several years after the events of Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain begins with an emaciated Big Boss waking from a coma minus one left arm. Big Boss goes on a bunch of missions, there are horses, a day/night cycle, flying whales, Revolver Ocelots and bikini snipers. This is where all of the signature Metal Gear flamboyance comes in.

Release date: TBA 2014-2015

They are two seperate retail releases and both titles are in development for 360,PS3,XBO and PS4 with a PC port possible down the road.

It all seemed pretty clear to me but I've been playing since before Metal Gear got solid at all, so I'm already messed up.

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (35819 posts) -

@reisz said:

there are horses, a day/night cycle, flying whales, Revolver Ocelots and bikini snipers

You could've just said "Hideo Kojima".

#3 Posted by MB (11889 posts) -

@reisz: Moved to the MGS V forum...can you please review this topic before you post again? Thanks.

#4 Posted by xyzygy (9868 posts) -

Wait WTF so it's actually going to be split into two separate, boxed games? Really.... hm.

#5 Edited by Ramone (2954 posts) -

Weird. The only precedent I can remember for this sort of thing is GT prologue.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Wait WTF so it's actually going to be split into two separate, boxed games? Really.... hm.

I thiiiiiiiiiiiiink Ground Zeroes is downloadable only? Maybe? I read that in a comment somewhere.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I thiiiiiiiiiiiiink Ground Zeroes is downloadable only? Maybe? I read that in a comment somewhere.

Only on next-gen for whatever reason. There'll be a physical alternative for PS3/360.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10348 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

They confirmed today that Ground Zeroes is going to be downloadable and boxed for PS3 and 360, but downloadable only for PS4 and Xbox One. Though, there may also be a boxed version for next gen and they didn't mention that. Maybe.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14516 posts) -

I think I'll most likely end up buying this twice (once PS3 once PS4) but I'm really interested in seeing what the Fox Engine can do with the PS3 hardware.

#10 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1347 posts) -

Weird having them separated but it makes sense.

I hope MGS5:PP leads into the original Metal Gear games.....thus allowing Kojima to remake those games and finally realizing his original vision.

#11 Posted by RonGalaxy (2835 posts) -

I got into a slight argument with some folks over at kotaku who were sooo sure it was gonna be one package. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh wait, I don't want to pay 90 bucks for, essentially, 1 game... Oh MAAAAANNNN. Sometimes being right SUCKS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.