Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Release Date: 1 Sep 2015, Collector's Edition Announced

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@frostyryan: Seriously. It comes with a freaking documentary! Depending on how good the documentary is, I'd say that's a lot better than anything else they could have offered.

@corevi That's the draw back of it coming to Steam and not just PC in general. At least Steam users will get this.

Loading Video...

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only part I'm interested in is that documentary, but I'm not going $100+ for it (or whatever they end up charging for it in Canada).

September release sounds good to me. I don't really have any other games coming out around that time I'm really interested in.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Standard Digital version for me.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#154  Edited By Corevi
    @dayve86 said:

September release sounds good to me. I don't really have any other games coming out around that time I'm really interested in.

Yup. Unless Persona 5 gets announced for September as well just to fuck with me I've got the entire month of video game playing time to devote to MGS5.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This lines up perfectly with metal gear scanlon. They have a hard deadline now. Got to get through 3,4 and ground zeros before the end of august.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Corevi

@pyrodactyl: And at least watch Peace Walker. It's super important!

If they do an LP of this game less than 3 months after release I will be kinda disappointed in them.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I will actually buy that collectors edition.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@nightriff: Well, based on everything we know for sure about the game, yes. But, the idea behind one of the Gray Fox theories (the one I prefer) is that this game is basically Assassin's Creed in that you are really playing as someone who is playing as someone else. Does that make sense? I think the idea is that Gray Fox is being fed information about Big Boss to hone him into an ultimate soldier.

The other Gray Fox theory, which I don't like at all and hope isn't true, is that you are playing as Gray Fox during the 1980s. Now, the reason I don't like that theory is that it allows for a, "Well, Big Boss wasn't really doing this, so here's what he was actually doing" twist or set up for MGS6. Whereas the other one could be an Assassin's Creed type thing where he's being given the exact information and stuff that Big Boss did in the 1980s.

Really though, I hope neither of those is the case, and you just play as Big Boss. But who knows! We'll find out in September either way.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@mooseymcman: Amen to that, can't fucking wait. Need to run through 3, 4 to refresh my memory and finally nail down PW. Who knows maybe play MG and MG2

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Corevi

@nightriff: Don't play MG1. It doesn't hold up at all. 2 does though. Really good game and the way you beat Big Boss is hilarious.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: I've never played more than 40 minutes or so of MG1, and none of MG2. I probably should play some more of them at some point, though.

But yeah, PW is rad. Well, it suffers from being made for the PSP originally, but there's a lot that I really like about it. And MGSV seems like it has all that stuff (base building and whatnot), which sounds RADDDDDD.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mooseymcman: I wasn't originally going to play PW, but there was a thread a month ago or so that was talking about how great it was + it is going to play into PP somehow I'm sure means I probably should play it before September 1st

@corevi: Even then I would like to see the games, like watching Jeff play it was fascinating and I potentially would like that experience (maybe I'll just watch a speed run of the game or something)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#163  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I can wait for 15 days... I can wait for 15 days... I can wait for 15 days....

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By kasaioni

@nightriff: The original MSX games are a bit obtuse. I actually like MG1. And MG2 almost feels like a modern-day indie game; it's awesome.

I'd be willing to co-op with anybody who needs help on playing Peace Walker and is on PS3.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Yeah, you need to play PW if you want to understand what's going on in GZ and MGSV proper. At least in terms of some of the set up, BB's relationship with Kaz, etc. Plus, it's just a good MGS story in its own right.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Interesting bit from the IGN interview:

Kojima says Snake has always been an extension of the player and he is focusing on that more this time rather than fleshing Snake out. In fact, he says Snake won't talk much at all. He wants other characters to flesh things out more. He referenced Mad Max 2 of all things.

So that is an answer to some of the conspiracy theory stuff about how talkative Snake is with Keifer doing the lines more. (Cue someone saying that's a smoke screen)

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought id let people know! If you're in the uk the collectors edition is up on game.co.uk ; it's a game exclusive, go snap up a pre-order before its too late!!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

this may be the most useful collector's edition ever
    this may be the most useful collector's edition ever

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima says Snake has always been an extension of the player and he is focusing on that more this time rather than fleshing Snake out. In fact, he says Snake won't talk much at all. He wants other characters to flesh things out more. He referenced Mad Max 2 of all things.

So that is an answer to some of the conspiracy theory stuff about how talkative Snake is with Keifer doing the lines more. (Cue someone saying that's a smoke screen)

Honestly, every character talks too damn much in Metal Gear games. I welcome Kojima's new-found sense of brevity with open arms.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: As long as the story comes across as clear as Metal Gear stories usually are, I don't mind.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@kasaioni said:

@kevin_cogneto: As long as the story comes across as clear as Metal Gear stories usually are, I don't mind.

It's not a Metal Gear game without a dramatic 10 minute monologue before each boss fight.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @kasaioni said:

It's not a Metal Gear game without a dramatic 10 minute monologue before each boss fight.

So MGS4 isn't a Metal Gear game? All the monologueing happens after the boss fights in that game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@corevi said:
    @humanity said:
    @kasaioni said:

So MGS4 isn't a Metal Gear game? All the monologueing happens after the boss fights in that game.

As long as someone is monologuing like a Shakespearean actor on stage I'm cool with it.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anywhere in Canada to buy the collectors edition yet?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: Doesn't look like it. EB doesn't even have the release date in the system yet.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@kevin_cogneto said:

@artisanbreads said:

Honestly, every character talks too damn much in Metal Gear games. I welcome Kojima's new-found sense of brevity with open arms.

Watching Metal Gear Scanlon I'm amazed how often Snake just says what the last person said as a question. It was something I noticed but not to the extent it goes on. If you cut that out that's seriously probably at least 33 percent less dialogue alone from Snake.

We will see about the other characters... he was only talking Snake there lol.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: “It’s basically ‘shut up Miller’ and Ocelot is ‘talks-a-lot’.” Troy Baker summarized. “Because we both just talk incessantly through this game. You’re going to get really tired of hearing us.”

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 weeks delay for PC, isn't bad, I can avoid the internet for that long.

No CE for PC has me a bit salty, but whatever, life goes on.

Bit disappointed that even MGS5 has fallen prey to Day One/CE DLC, but at least it's all mostly just cosmetics.

All in all, hyped for September.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Apparently there's a Special Edition that doesn't have the fancy Diamond Dogs box and robot arm statue, but it might be exclusive to Japan. I'd rather have this than getting the Collector's Edition since I have no room for statues and the box.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never bought a collector's edition of anything. This stupid game series seems like it might be the best time to try it out; I can see using that arm as a key holder.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, I may get the collectors edition. Fuck.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@corevi: You are right about the arm. I was hoping an art book.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@artisanbreads: “It’s basically ‘shut up Miller’ and Ocelot is ‘talks-a-lot’.” Troy Baker summarized. “Because we both just talk incessantly through this game. You’re going to get really tired of hearing us.”

Cool thanks for that info. So there will be lots of dialogue just seems like Snake is gonna be quieter.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By N7

@kasaioni said:

Cool thanks for that info. So there will be lots of dialogue just seems like Snake is gonna be quieter.

If Ground Zeroes is anything to go by, The Phantom Pain will be insanely annoying. All I wanted to do was tell Kaz to shut the fuck up, but he talks over everything. Guards will start talking about how they hid an item somewhHEY SNAKE IT'S ME, KAZ, JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE YOU DIDN'T FORGET HOW TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME. HAHA, COOL ALRIGHT WELL SEE YA LATER.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Doing S-Ranks in that game caused me to mute the t.v. so I didn't have to hear that asshole talk again. I would try a level and fail and have to restart and it was just constant noooooooiiiiiiiise from that voice box.
    Fingers crossed it's not as bad in Phantom pain as really Ground Zeroes was just like 'MGS: Tutorial: The Game." So maybe they over did that stuff just for that purpose.
    Then again it's not like the dialogue in any other MGS game was ever on the subtle/quiet side, sooo I guess hopes shouldn't be raised in that regard.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By N7

@zolroyce said:

@n7: Doing S-Ranks in that game caused me to mute the t.v. so I didn't have to hear that asshole talk again. I would try a level and fail and have to restart and it was just constant noooooooiiiiiiiise from that voice box.

Fingers crossed it's not as bad in Phantom pain as really Ground Zeroes was just like 'MGS: Tutorial: The Game." So maybe they over did that stuff just for that purpose.

Then again it's not like the dialogue in any other MGS game was ever on the subtle/quiet side, sooo I guess hopes shouldn't be raised in that regard.

We have the option to hit the codec button to shut them up(In The Phantom Pain), but hearing this talk about Snake being a silent protagonist, it's... worrying.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Apparently there's a Special Edition that doesn't have the fancy Diamond Dogs box and robot arm statue, but it might be exclusive to Japan. I'd rather have this than getting the Collector's Edition since I have no room for statues and the box.

No Caption Provided

I think the reason for this is because in Japan the robot arm is a full-scale replica instead of half-scale. The Special Edition without the hand is 9,980 Yen, (Roughly $100) and the Limited Edition is 29,800 Yen (Roughly $300). So the version with the half-scale hand abroad (or at least in America) costs as much as the version without the hand in Japan.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately for you Australian folks the collectors edition is $249.99

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.95 sorry

https://www.ebgames.com.au/ps4-202663-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain-Collectors-Edition-PlayStation-4

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By kasaioni

@zolroyce: Yeah, I can't find it, but they said that in TPP when you redo missions, that you don't have to listen to listen to the tutorlializing/etc codec stuff if you don't want to.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I just bought the collectors edition in Canada. First time I've ever bought a collectors edition. Was $155 here. >.>

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think I can only justify wasting money on a single collector's edition this year, and it's a toss up between The Witcher 3 and this one. So it comes down to whether I want a dumb griffon statue or a dumb robotic arm statue. Decisions, decisions.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: The robo arm is more practical. You can use it to hold stuff like your keys or your phone.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#199  Edited By Mitch0712

Where can I pre-order the Collector's Edition? I'm in the US.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitch0712: Doesn't seem to be available online anywhere but you can preorder it in person at a Gamestop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.