Thoughts on it sharing similar mechanics to Peace Walker?

#1 Posted by projectino (30 posts) -

I've been a long time Metal Gear fan since the original on nes, and have completed every single game(yes this includes ghost babel and the ac!d series). Now as I've gotten older my interest in most games have definitely decreased over time, but I was very excited for MGS5. That is, until this E3 when I learned it has a lot of the same mechanics as Peace Walker with the base building and pokemon-like mercenary collecting.

Peace walker is easily my least favorite game in the series, mainly for the micromanaging aspects of the game, so this recent news has killed a lot of hype for the only game I've look forward to in years. I just want to know peoples thoughts on that aspect of Peace Walker and how they think it will be incorporated into MGS5.

Sorry if this is worded strangely I'm typing this on my iPhone cause I don't actually own a working PC and haven't for 3 years now. :p

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11275 posts) -

I'm excited, because I really liked all that stuff in Peace Walker. That said, you could largely ignore most of that stuff in Peace Walker, and I assume it'll be the same case in MGSV.

#3 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Dude, it might have some of the same mechanics, but have you seen the gameplay for TPP? It's way different, homie

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4847 posts) -

The main difference between MGS5 and Peace Walker is that MGS5 is a single player game focused on a single player experience. Peace Walker was developed for and inspired by the Monster Hunter crowd. No such crowd exists on the home console market.

Wait for a demo or bail out, I guess. All I know is that I had a great time with Peace Walker and I'm excited to see Ground Zeroes gameplay mashed up with Peace Walker's base building mechanics.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15009 posts) -

I'm fine with it. The base management stuff in Peace Walker was great and a lot of fun and lent to giving that game a ton of replay value hunting down rare soldiers and finding secrets within the levels.

#6 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11275 posts) -

I can see why you might feel a little sheepish about Peace Walker mechanics being rammed in, but those mechanics won't be baad.

#7 Posted by cmblasko (1281 posts) -

I loved Peace Walker so I'm really glad that they have decided to retain and refine the base management aspects for Phantom Pain.

#8 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5706 posts) -

Peacewalker is awesome so obviously more Peacewalker is good.

#9 Posted by liquiddragon (245 posts) -

peace walker was ton of fun and ground zeroes already played like pw 2.0 so all this totally make sense.
for me, pw had the worst story so hopefully pp won't replicate that aspect.

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (9307 posts) -

Makes sense. Peace Walker was almost the next main Metal Gear, but they didn't allow a portable title to be called MGSV. So now he is making MGSV on consoles and taking directly from the things he liked in Peace Walker.

The story follows right from Peace Walker, and it's logical that how Big Boss was conducting his war would carry over into MGSV. This is the direct sequel to PW; so, of course it would borrow a lot from that. Seems like it's combining the best of PW with the best of the console MGS games.

I like that Kojima seems genuinely excited about making this game.

#11 Edited by TruthTellah (9307 posts) -

I can see why you might feel a little sheepish about Peace Walker mechanics being rammed in, but those mechanics won't be baad.

#12 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I'm not really a Metal Gear fan but I liked #1 and loved Peace Walker. I thought the base building and recruitment stuff was really cool. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how they add to it. I think it will have much more in there for you to like though even if you aren't into the base stuff.

#13 Posted by StarvingGamer (8370 posts) -

Maybe the fact that the base in MGS5 is an actual location, not just a series of menus, will help you manage your feelings about managing it? Also I imagine it won't be quite as central to your progression as it was in Peace Walker so you might be able to largely ignore it. That's just my assumption, I could be wrong.

Personally, I loved all the base stuff in Peace Walker.

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (5293 posts) -

Definitely the best reply anyone could have given to this.

#15 Edited by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

This is exactly what I wanted from a new MGS.

I'm so excited now. Peace Walker was awesome.

#16 Posted by nasp (353 posts) -

i think its awesome.taking the cool stuff from peace walker and putting a good metal gear solid story together is great.peace walker had cool stuff,but i didnt think the story was good.plus the gameplay looks way better.so im liking what this game is turning into.

#17 Posted by pinner458 (807 posts) -

I'm not impressed, I used to listen to IGN's Podcast beyond for a long time (before discovering the Bombcast) and Greg Miller would always state that Peace Walker was irrefutably the best game of all time (he still attests to this). Since I never owned a PSP I was excited to play it when it was included in the HD collection, I figured that even though it probably wasn't the greatest game ever made it must be a pretty good game if Greg liked it so much. I can hardly remember a time when I was so disappointed by a game as much as when I played through Peace Walkers tutorial. I pushed on for another 5 hours and despised the quest/mission like structure. Everything about the mechanics in that game suck, it's barely even MGS, and the RPG/simulation elements were so dull. Seeing similar systems in MGS V seriously concerns me. Automatically hiding bodies by balloon lift removes so many of the stealth elements. Sure you don't have to do that but it doesn't sit right with me.

#18 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1169 posts) -

Yeah, okay, I'm done.

Gonna take a break from this whole internet thing for a couple days.

#19 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11275 posts) -

@gunstarred: @gunstarred:

@viciousbearmauling said:

@mooseymcman said:

Yeah, okay, I'm done.

Gonna take a break from this whole internet thing for a couple days.

:D

#20 Posted by ThunderSlash (1822 posts) -

As long as it doesn't have the serious boss grinding that Peace Walker had, I'm fine with it.

#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11904 posts) -

Base building wasn't the part of peace walker I had a problem with. It was more... Everything else.

#22 Posted by sub_o (904 posts) -

Peacewalker is my favourite MGS due to the ability to manage mother base, research rail guns, fultoning Kikuchi Yumi.

So yeah, it depends on your preference, and I think Kojima enjoyed the mother base aspect of it too. As the matter of fact, I'm really looking forward to Phantom Pain.

#23 Posted by Bane122 (799 posts) -

I'm actually pretty excited by it. The base management and recruiting stuff were my favorite parts of PW. Using the fulton on sleeping dudes never got old.

#24 Edited by sub_o (904 posts) -

@bane122 said:

I'm actually pretty excited by it. The base management and recruiting stuff were my favorite parts of PW. Using the fulton on sleeping dudes never got old.

Man, imagine if you could tether the Fulton balloons like the grappling hook in Just Cause 2. That would be hilarious.

#25 Posted by probablytuna (3726 posts) -

I enjoyed the hell out of Peace Walker and I look forward to building the motherbase in The Phantom Pain.

#26 Posted by Bane122 (799 posts) -

@sub_o: Especially now that we know sheep are involved. It would be incredible.

#27 Edited by BatmanBatman (408 posts) -

I haven't played Peace Walker, so I don't have an opinion about these mechanics as of now. On the other hand, extracting sheeps via parachute is an opinion I can start to constitute.

#28 Posted by Solidfox (60 posts) -

I don't know if I should hug you, or hurt you.

Peace Walker was my least favorite of the Metal Gears as well. I didn't really like the way the game was structured and I wasn't really into micromanaging all my dudes. The best part about that, was they had a "Just do whatever" command and it put all your dudes where they'd be best at. So it wasn't too bad, but I still didn't like it all that much. Honestly there are a few more reasons for me to be worried about that game than a few mechanics from a PSP game that I didn't like all too much. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

#29 Edited by csl316 (8938 posts) -

Peace Walker is the only one I didn't finish. I like MGS because it's so narrative driven, but missions in Peace Walker felt less important to me. More of a sandbox feel that makes you gather resources and do side missions. Problem is those side missions didn't seem urgent, just optional quests to pad out the game.

It's why Ground Zeroes didn't resonate with me. You have a simple goal, but the map's designed to let you screw around. I have no reason to go to the other side of the map, but I can if I want to... for some reason?

Now, I played the MGS2 demo dozens of times to just mess around. MGS3 had some wide open spaces allowing for more tactics. But both of these games felt more focused. Exploring a space along the critical path didn't feel like padding, but a fun way to approach a meticulously designed scenario in a different way. I was going toward an objective, but I had options along the way. It's why I loved Halo: CE so much.

I dunno, I beat Ground Zeroes twice and didn't feel compelled to go away from the main objective. I worry that with more PW elements, I won't feel compelled to jump into base building or the other optional stuff, either.

I want to see the rise of Outer Heaven. That's the part that I'm in for 1000%. I hope people that jump into that optional stuff get what they're looking for, too.

#30 Edited by Corevi (3934 posts) -

I love Peace Walker, it's my third favourite Metal Gear game (3 and Rising beat it). All the weapon tech stuff gets super crazy in late game, where you are making giant slingshots that shoot people, a stealth camo gun that makes people invisible when you shoot them and an rpg that fires fultons. Really looking forward to it.

#31 Posted by Ezekiel (479 posts) -

I don't like Peace Walker either. The mission structure and micromanagement destroyed the pacing and made the game a chore. I agree with csl316, two posts above.

#32 Edited by NTM (7476 posts) -

I have finished all MGS' as well other than the side stuff which is non-canon, and have but didn't finish Rising either. Anyways, I personally enjoyed Peace Walker, and the managing of soldiers didn't bother me in Peace Walker (I didn't love it, but it didn't bother me that much), it was a huge turn off to me in Portable Ops though. The one thing I disliked most about Peace Walker was, what I guess people consider the RPG element, which was upgrading your weapons.

The weapons upgrade wasn't bad in and of itself, but just how long it took you to upgrade them really padded out the length longer than the game actually needed to be so it felt grindy. One can argue that you should just play it cooperatively, but I never did that, nor did I ever want to. Something I've heard people say is that Peace Walker is less important than the other ones, and that's actually far from the truth, but yeah, I can understand some not wanting to get through it, it takes time to really get the hang of it and enjoy it.

#33 Posted by NTM (7476 posts) -

@solidfox said:

@mooseymcman said:

I don't know if I should hug you, or hurt you.

Peace Walker was my least favorite of the Metal Gears as well. I didn't really like the way the game was structured and I wasn't really into micromanaging all my dudes. The best part about that, was they had a "Just do whatever" command and it put all your dudes where they'd be best at. So it wasn't too bad, but I still didn't like it all that much. Honestly there are a few more reasons for me to be worried about that game than a few mechanics from a PSP game that I didn't like all too much. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

I don't think Peace Walker put your guys where they'd be best. They put all of them into combat from what I remember.

#34 Posted by crithon (3322 posts) -

I thought the micromanagement in Peace walker was handled excellently. Like just reading the stats were super quick to learn which guy does what. Just building up that army and feeling that pride when you hired a squad of DUDE, who can take on tanks and helicopters better then Big Boss is AWESOME.

#35 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (734 posts) -

You are history's greatest monster.

#36 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (286 posts) -
@crithon said:

I thought the micromanagement in Peace walker was handled excellently. Like just reading the stats were super quick to learn which guy does what. Just building up that army and feeling that pride when you hired a squad of DUDE, who can take on tanks and helicopters better then Big Boss is AWESOME.

I agree. The only thing I didn't like about the way it was implemented in Peace Walker was that it was pretty much regulated solely through menus. MGS5 is turning it up a notch being able to go back to Mother Base and having more tangible methods of seeing your base grow and how it will interplay with your playstyle.

@mooseymcman said:

You are history's greatest monster.

He's Nuclear.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.