Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Timelapse in Stealth Games!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I've been mulling over this idea for a couple of months. Like in 4X Space Games, I believe timelapse is needed to make really complex stealth games run at a fun pace, and make pattern recognition something I still actually want to do.

I've been a Grand Master Ninja in Tenchu 1. I had the patience of a mountain. These days, my patience holds 'til my first fuck-up. And really waiting for the perfect opportunity? Nah, ain't got that in me anymore.

I wonder if MGS 5's trailer hinted at a timelapse feature. And I just wanted to put this out there, so it's been said. Timelapse for your stealth games man! Think about it.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By DoctorDanger99

Mgs five will be amazing. Hands down. That trailer was the best thing I've seen in awhile. I cannot wait to play this on anything but the Xbone.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

It did kinda look like it was a hint at that when he was smoking.
    What better way to wait for the perfect moment to take that sniper shot. Standing in clear view smoking a cigaret.

Looked pretty cool though

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fun in theory but I really don't wanna sit for three hours waiting to play the game. Ah who am I kidding? It's metal gear. It's one of the few games capable of making me feel like I'm 13 years old again.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Whoops I thought this was the MGS5 general thread.

I think a time lapse feature could be cool, but I'm way more interested in the idea that if I begin a mission at 12 AM it'll be midnight in the game, and that means the guards will be fewer since most of them are sleeping. It's the right brand of crazy Kojima brings to games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Wuddel

@seppli said:

I wonder if MGS 5's trailer hinted at a timelapse feature. And I just wanted to put this out there, so it's been said. Timelapse for your stealth games man! Think about it.

This was almost guaranteed only for presentation purposes. Timelapse in general will I think trivialize the pattern recognition part of stealth games. The gut feeling approach you take on either hanging back and analyze or roll with the punches. Racing games style rewinds might be the way to go.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OldManLight

yeah i get the impression from today's trailer that there may be certain "missions" that would be easier under the cover of darkness, maybe you'll be able to "wait X number of hours" bethesda RPG style to take on some missions at different times of day. Trailer looked amazing, can wait to see it running on Xbox 360 and PS3.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I HIGHLY doubt that timelapse will be a feature in the game. If for no other reason, I can't see dedicating a button to something like that on controllers.

I think the fast forwarding in the trailer was just Kojima's version of "In the interest of time."

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I HIGHLY doubt that timelapse will be a feature in the game. If for no other reason, I can't see dedicating a button to something like that on controllers.

I think the fast forwarding in the trailer was just Kojima's version of "In the interest of time."

I thought we were talking about where we see Big Boss smoking a cigaret and the time on the watch fast forwards.
    But if it were the cuts we saw then yeah, those were obviously just "fancy"(they were terrible) edits to the video

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@mooseymcman said:

I thought we were talking about where we see Big Boss smoking a cigaret and the time on the watch fast forwards.

But if it were the cuts we saw then yeah, those were obviously just "fancy"(they were terrible) edits to the video

If that's the case, then Kojima would just be stealing mechanics from SWERY 65 and Deadly Premonition.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Popogeejo

Doesn't that miss the point? Stealth games are paced very intentionally. if they wanted they could just make the games play faster (smaller rooms/sections, shorter or more telegraphed patrols). The long waits are very intentional. The build up tension and make the sense of accomplishment when you get past them that much sweeter. Patient players who take the time to learn the patterns get rewarded by not being shot to shit while impatient players get to roll by gut feelings and running and gunning when things go wrong should the game allow for this and MGS totally will.

If you need timelapse (or, as it really seems to be; fast forwarding) then your level is probably poorly designed or you're playing the wrong genre and should jump into an action game.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zeforgotten

@zeforgotten said:

@mooseymcman said:

If that's the case, then Kojima would just be stealing mechanics from SWERY 65 and Deadly Premonition.

Meh, I've been alive for almost 26 years and I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I played an original game.. Well aside from the obvious like Pong, I guess. but other than that.
    And people love Swery and his games, now all Kojima needs to do is steal the rest of the mechanics from Deadly Premonition and a Wall crawling boss fight and MGSV will be the best thing in the world!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

Duuuude! I would play the shit out of a time travel stealth game! Imagine you can fast forward whenever you're stuck waiting for your opportunity, you can freeze time to plan out your moves, and maybe even have some limited rewind ability to make up for dumb mistakes and allow you to experiment a little better. There could be special paradox moves where multiple versions of you from different points in time take down a bunch of dudes simultaneously. Or like fields of energy that have different effects on time but only relative to their location. Maybe the whole reason you are being stealthy is because you are from the future, and if anybody saw you it could drastically alter the timeline! This game should exist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.