Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Where do you think this will end in the timeline?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There is always something said at the end of the credits in the MGS games, and I kinda hope the last thing we hear is Big Boss saying "This is Big Boss...Infiltrate the enemy's base Outer Heaven and destroy the ultimate weapon, Metal Gear"

I'm not sure where else they could end it, we are already getting pretty close to that point in the timeline.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I bet it will end with a straight up remake of MG1. Tie the entire series together.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Play as him in this state, or play as snake, and kill him as the final boss.

verydeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the after credits scene will be audio of the birth of one of the clones!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't really think a face-off against Big Boss would work, especially if it's just the MG1 fight considering he just comes back and Snake has to fight him again. I dunno, you could do it I guess, it'd just feel kinda....dumb as a final boss.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is revealed that we have discovered the secret of travelling through time, and the entire Metal Gear series was Frog Fractions 2.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think a face-off against Big Boss would work, especially if it's just the MG1 fight considering he just comes back and Snake has to fight him again. I dunno, you could do it I guess, it'd just feel kinda....dumb as a final boss.

It would be really cool if they made it similar to the final boss fight of MGS3.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quarters

I am pretty confident that it will somehow be tied into MG1 and MG2. Kojima's been making too big a deal about possible "inconsistencies" when it comes to timeline details. I really think that TPP is going to end up being about Les Enfants Terrible. I think they will make it happen during the coma caused in Ground Zeroes, instead of it taking place in 1972. It would especially make sense, considering the rumored involvement of Liquid Snake. So yeah, I figure post credits or something will show a little Solid Snake. Maybe not full on remake territory though. Just a hint. Honestly, I think that remakes of Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 will be how Kojima finally ends his role in the series. I feel like it's the only logical conclusion. Just go full circle, tie everything together the way it needs to be, then his work is finally done. It just feels like everything is building towards that.

In a dream scenario, MG1 and MG2 would be the same game. Just make MG1 a Tanker/Virtuous Mission/Ground Zeroes style prologue, then make Metal Gear 2 the main course. Feels like a logical, realistic way to make it happen.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering you build a base and it's open world, I doubt it will go beyond the 80s.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope the game does end with remakes of MG1 and 2, but I definitely wouldn't get my hopes up.

But man that would be awesome.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

Considering you build a base and it's open world, I doubt it will go beyond the 80s.

I dunno. Assassin's Creed 2 was open world and ended with a completely seperate mission set years after the rest of the game.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

If The Pantom Pain does not have David Hayter as Solid Snake opposite Kiefer Sutherland as Big Boss, Kojima done fucked up.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I just don't like it when games do the whole Zelda thing where post-game always takes place before the last mission.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@verydeadly: At this point in the timeline, didn't the Les Enfants Terrible already happen?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corevi

@djmoo: Yes. It would have happened while Big Boss was in his decade long coma. That's why most people think Eli is Liquid.

@kasaioni: Unless they decide to have a complete nonending then the post game will have to be before the final mission since that version of Outer Heaven doesn't stay around forever. Hell Peace Walker had the post game set before the final boss just so you have Paz to boost your food.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kasaioni
    @corevi said:

@djmoo: Yes. It would have happened while Big Boss was in his decade long coma. That's why most people think Eli is Liquid.

That's wrong. The Les Enfants Terribles project happened in 1972, two years before Peace Walker. Solid and Liquid are already born before MSF. This is confirmed by the final tape you get after S ranking all the missions in Peace Walker. The reason most people think Eli is Liquid is because he looks like Liquid. In the Japanese version of MGS1, Liquid said the Big Boss was left sterile after an injury from battle, not in a coma, when they started the project.

Obvious very big spoilers.

Loading Video...

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Oh snap, I was never able to unlock that phone call. Was that Ocelot talking to Zero?

verydeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kasaioni
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

I was going to say it can't, or shouldn't end with the twins being born, since that already happened prior to Peace Walker, but that was already covered... As for the end though, I don't know. We'll see. I'm excited.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters: Yeah, that makes sense to me, and would be kind of awesome, also unique.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Miller seems to be heavily involved in the plot and possibly the "root" of Big Boss's evil, so I would be surprised if the end of the game has a flash-forward to Alaska in 2005 and shows his murder at the hands of either Ocelot or Liquid, since they're also both key players in Phantom Pain.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the after credits scene will be audio of the birth of one of the clones!

Clones are already born at this point in the time line.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The year it all began.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni:

The final nail in the coffin for Eli being Young Liquid is the writing and picture on his jacket. First line is in English, "Never be Game Over", which would be appropriate given how Liquid seems to be infinitely tenacious.

Second line is in Japanese kanji, and translates to "Liquid Man/Person".

The picture is that of a pig with an eye patch over the right eye.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I want to see it end with a battle between Big Boss and Solid Snake. Barechested. On a smoking metal gear.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Whaaaaat?! Ok I need to do some serious research. Despite having played through PW, I feel like I missed out on so much either because I didn't beat everything or just because I forgot.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By csl316

I have no idea. I know what I would hope it ends with.

"We have obtained the Metatron ore."

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I definitely want to see the snake eat its tale... but perhaps too soon.

If it was me I'd have the last mission of the game basically be INTRUDE N313, but you play it from Big Boss' side, and at the end of the game fight Snake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone have an explanation for the whale and flaming unicorn from this trailer yet though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtKs79IMhRo

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone have an explanation for the whale and flaming unicorn from this trailer yet though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtKs79IMhRo

Either Big Boss losing it, what with waking up from a 9 year coma and all, or young Psycho Mantis playing mind games.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's explained away as Young Psycho Mantis, I'm booting Kojima down some stairs. PTSD or nothing, son.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, I don't think it will end where most people hope it will (the beginning of the original Metal Gear).

Honestly, with Kojima at the helm, I have no fucking clue.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Ghostiet

I'd say with Big Boss sending Solid Snake on his first mission. There's just too much weird shit about Hayter's absence, plus that would be a very effective way to put a bow on the series and perhaps set up those MG1&2 remakes that Kojima wants someone to make one day.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It will end just like FF7 Crisis Core--with the intro to the next game in the series. So it will probably be Solid Snake swimming up to Outer Heaven.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with you guys, in that I'm holding out hope that they pull an MGS2, and have a sudden character switch where you play as young Solid Snake for the second half of the game. It would be the greatest troll move of Kojima, to pull an elaborate fakeout by "not using" David Hayter, only to have the second half of the game be some modern reimagining of original Metal Gear.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Steadying

@dudeglove: That's not until they give The Boss her own game.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It ends with unlocking a secret mode that lets you babysit the Les Enfants Terribles as lil babies. Sort of like the chao garden in Sonic Adventure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.