Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Anybody think its weird the degree they've rewritten Miller?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

So originally McDonnell Miller (or Master Miller, or Kazuhira Miller) was introduced as some kind of drill sergeant guy that Snake used to train with or something. Then you learn in MGS1 that he was murdered in his home and Liquid has been posing as him the whole time.

That's a super weird, ignoble end for a guy they have since retconned to be this really important figure in Big Boss' life, from the MSF days with Mother Base to all of the events in Phantom Pain that we assume will lead to the creation of Outer Heaven.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

MGS mythos doesn't hold up at all under any degree of inspection. But, Miller is awesome in Peacewalker.

Avatar image for exiledastronaut
    ExiledAstronaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ExiledAstronaut

It does seem kind of weird, maybe they'll just retcon that part too and give him a more fitting death.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I don't know seems fine to me. I'm not sure how he was rewritten like you suggest.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

I don't know seems fine to me. I'm not sure how he was rewritten like you suggest.

I guess they didn't necessarily rewrite his personality, but in MGS1 (and MG2) he is this bit character who is then randomly killed off as a twist, in just about the same manner as the DARPA chief. And I'll be interested to see how Kaz Miller distances himself from Big Boss or something, because evidently everybody still trusts Miller after Big Boss turns evil in Metal Gear 1.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bocam
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BisonHero
    Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figure if Eli ends up being Liquid in TPP, it will have foreshadowing for him killing Miller in the future.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@fredchuckdave said:

MGS mythos doesn't hold up at all under any degree of inspection. But, Miller is awesome in Peacewalker.

I'm not questioning you, but this is usually the opinion of people who haven't done even the slightest bit of inspection and jumped on the assumption and MGS hate bandwagon.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wouldn't say they've rewritten Miller, they've just expanded his backstory. Kaz is a pretty knowledgeable dude exactly like Master Miller and he helped train Solid Snake alongside Big Boss so it's believable that him and Big Boss have some history together that we never learned about.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they've successfully retconned the character to be more interesting. I fully support it, as he has been a welcome presence in Peace Walker and now MGS V.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Not really. Miller being a part of Big Boss's life in one way is compatible with having a different role in Snake's life decades later.

If anything, reading about how Miller says that Big Boss is a monster and urges Snake to defeat him in Metal Gear 2 makes me super curious about what'll happen in MGS V, unless they save that stuff for later.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: There's definitely a guy that looks like Miller in the trailers for Phantom Pain that I'm pretty sure isn't Miller.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@bisonhero: I still think Kazuhira Miller and McDonnel Miller are long lost brothers.

I'm probably wrong though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: When Kaz gets his arm and leg chopped the fuck off in Afghanistan, they attach those limbs to somebody else, and that guy is McDonnel Miller, and absorbs the memories and abilities of Kaz. Nanomachines.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew Kaz lost an arm, but I didn't know he lost a leg too. According to the wiki, he also loses an eye. I feel like Phantom Pain is gonna hammer the message of "Torture is bad" by mutilating every single character in the game. It'll be the Phantom Pain equivalent of Paz in Peace Walker with how she loves peace, her name means peace, and how she studied peace at the University of Peace.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BisonHero

@minipato said:

It'll be the Phantom Pain equivalent of Paz in Peace Walker with how she loves peace, her name means peace, and how she studied peace at the University of Peace.

Metal Gear: known for its subtlety.

But yeah, Kaz gets real messed up.

No Caption Provided

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

I knew Kaz lost an arm, but I didn't know he lost a leg too. According to the wiki, he also loses an eye. I feel like Phantom Pain is gonna hammer the message of "Torture is bad" by mutilating every single character in the game. It'll be the Phantom Pain equivalent of Paz in Peace Walker with how she loves peace, her name means peace, and how she studied peace at the University of Peace.

Kaz very clearly has no eyes in the E3 Phantom Pain trailer from last year.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

@minipato said:

Kaz very clearly has no eyes in the E3 Phantom Pain trailer from last year.

Is that confirmed anywhere? I'm pretty sure maybe just his right eye is missing at most? You can see the light glinting off his left eye for sure right before Snake puts sunglasses back on Miller. I just thought one of his eyes was swollen shut from beatings.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That kind of thing tends to be a pretty common occurrence when people start expanding fictional universes, I think. Building on what's there instead of inserting some random new guy makes it seem more connected, even if it doesn't always make the most sense.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@bisonhero: Huh, I was pretty sure he lost both. Let me go check the trailer.

EDIT: I still think he's lost both eyes, but we'll see in the final game.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aetheldod

No I dont mind think it is being retconned , we will have to wait on what happens in phantom pain.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, I kind of like how his death was sort of " in the background. " I'm not sure why, but after spending so much time with the character in Big Boss' adventures, it makes it feel more personal when you actually do find out he's dead and all the new characters are just sorta like " eh, whatever. ".......Even though we didn't really know Miller back when MGS was released. I dunno, it's really hard to explain what I'm trying to say here.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

that's the biggest problem with Peace Walker, Miller and Emmerich making just CONVENIENT APPEARANCES that look more like Star Wars Episode 1 "Darth Vader created C3PO" logic. But, I mean I like Kaz's character.... and I kinda can believe he is miller, except if they want to do some bullshit "there's another miller" because we are talking about a series where Big Boss' name is Jack and John.

And beside Miller's personality can only truly be read in MG2 Solid Snake and not MGS1 where it's Liquid in disquise the whole time, insert Cam Clark voice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.