Kojima confirms Metal Gear Solid 5, wants it to be like DX:HR

• 103 results
#1 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

http://gematsu.com/2012/06/kojima-confirms-metal-gear-solid-5

Kojima confirms Metal Gear Solid 5
"We have not yet finished with Solid Snake," says Kojima.
by Sal Romano [@salromano] at 10:08 AM EDT, June 20, 2012 .

Kojima Productions boss Hideo Kojima has confirmed development on Metal Gear Solid 5 to the twentieth issue (June / July) of the French IG Magazine.
“There will be a Metal Gear Solid 5 with the new FOX Engine,” confirmed Kojima (via Google Translate), “but what we’ve shown was not gameplay, or anything like that. It was only a demo that we had developed internally and released because the lighting and interactions with the environment had fooled everyone.”
Kojima continued: “About Metal Gear Solid 5, I can tell you two things. There will be much question of infiltration, espionage, and convincing people to give you “a favor” like in the last Metal Gear Solid. I liked the idea of ​​social interactions in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but we will see. And if I say more, the female ninja public relations officer, who is behind the door, I will be carved up into pieces. So it’s better that we meet again when the time comes to talk about Metal Gear Solid 5.”
Kojima also touched upon Metal Gear Rising, reiterating that it is not a Solid Snake title, but rather an offshoot that does something new.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance never claimed to be a Metal Gear Solid. This is not a game about our beloved Solid Snake. It is a spinoff that tries something different. We have not yet finished with Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots.”

On the upside, uh... Okami HD?

#2 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

Okami HD looks super awesome!

Oh, and MGS5 is neat I guess.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

Not unexpected but I do love me some metal gear solid

#4 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

I love Kojima and Metal Gear Solid, but can we be done with Solid Snake? He had a good send-off, let's have a new guy.

Anyway, I hope it's better than MGS4 and returns to stealth.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

Also your title is a little misleading, he doesn't say he wants it to be like deus ex, he just likes some of the ideas. Nothing wrong with that

#6 Posted by freedo (71 posts) -

You know what... sure, why not? I'm down for some more Metal Goddamn Gear. I want Kojima to move on just as much as the next guy, but fuck it.

#7 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

i don;t remember these "favours"

#8 Posted by Tesla (1852 posts) -

A new MGS? Comparison to Deus Ex?! I need to go change my pants now.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

Kinda stinks that Konami wants Kojima to keep making Metal Gear games. I really want to see him doing something completely new.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

There will be much question of espionage, and you will be sucked.

#11 Posted by cloudnineboya (692 posts) -

that's three games now i need to get my ps3 back for.: journey. tomba. okami. always wanted to play okami just never got round to doing it.
more MGS..sweeet.

#12 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Wtf they'll do with him?

#13 Posted by Encephalon (1176 posts) -

Whatever. Snake should've eaten that goddamned bullet.

#14 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Wtf they'll do with him?

Probably upload his nanomachines to a 20 billion terabyte server on a satellite and give him electronic brain control of every metal gear on Earth. Or the moon. Or something.

#15 Posted by M_Shini (548 posts) -

Kinda didn't think they do another mgs, mgs4 was a good end to him. I'm guessing it wont be old snake, least that dude should go on vacation for the rest of his life he kinda deserves it.

Side note what other games has kojima done, either in past or recently other than Metal Gear stuff, can he do other stuff well or hasn't he had the chance yet.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

@M_Shini said:

Side note what other games has kojima done, either in past or recently other than Metal Gear stuff, can he do other stuff well or hasn't he had the chance yet.

Zone of the Enders has always been his baby, but the ludicrous production process of MGS4 and the fact that he's only one dude prevented him from focusing on his true love of giant robots in space kicking the shit out of each other.

#17 Posted by hidys (1028 posts) -

@Encephalon said:

This is the way that MGS4 SHOULD HAVE FUCKING ENDED.

#18 Posted by TheHT (10288 posts) -

It's not too late for him to kill Snake. Kojima can just change the ending in DLC.

#19 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -

Are we gonna play as elderly Snake?

#20 Posted by cyberhugger (24 posts) -

every game should be like deus ex man the freedom,the player choice interactivtey not a 4 hour campaign shooter (call of duty)

#21 Posted by Brendan (7521 posts) -

They should just pull a Dune and have some sort of ghola plot where they reincarnate Snake with a new body and improve him nanomachines sumthin.

#22 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

@Brendan said:

They should just pull a Dune and have some sort of ghola plot where they reincarnate Snake with a new body and improve him nanomachines sumthin.

THE SPICE MUST FLOW

#23 Edited by UltorOscariot (164 posts) -

The space between 2 and 4 would be a nice place for a new title. I bet it won't be a sequel to 4 in terms of advancing the story.

#24 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@Brendan said:

THE SPICE MUST FLOW

FOLLOW THE SPICE TRAILS. What should really have happened at the end of MGS4 is Snake should have been killed, but because nanomachines he is reincarnated into a megamachine which is actually a Metal Gear which is actually nanomachines controlled by Ocelot's arm because nanomachines and then nanomachines nanomachines, Sunny's egg recipes, nanomachines nanomachines, egg timer.

#25 Posted by Liquidus (939 posts) -

Ugh, can we please be done with Solid Snake? What else is there to tell? It can't possibly take place after MGS4.

#26 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -

A young snake in a Deus Ex skin would be awesome.

#27 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Is he being held an gunpoint to produce these, or something? Every time I read an interview, it's always like, "yeah, I wanted the last one to be the last one, but we're doing another one."

#28 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

I thought he had announced ZOE3 to run on Fox Engine?

#29 Posted by Voxus (282 posts) -

METAL GEAR??

#30 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I don't mind playing as Solid Snake once more. What the fuck is it with people who want good things to end? I'd rather play as Old Snake or Solid Snake clone version 2.0 than getting another Raiden joke.

#31 Edited by ddensel (372 posts) -

Xbox owners miss out again with Okami HD.... Getting kind of sick of Microsoft's restrictive XBLA practices. First Oddworld: Stanger's Wrath, now this.

Anyway, Metal Gear 5 sounds pretty cool. Kojima knows what he's doing.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (13878 posts) -

I feel bad for Kojima. The man wants to make something other than Metal Gear games. And at this point he is trapped either he makes Metal Gear games and retains creative control of the story he has helped craft for the last dozen years or he moves on and watches Konami continue to pound out Metal Gear without his input probably destroying its appeal in the process. Just look at what happened with Peace Walker. At first he was supposed to be hands off of that project then ended up working on it anyways.

#33 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I'd like if he just remade the original Metal Gear with modern tech.

#34 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Kojima should relocate to Montreal and work on the next Deus Ex game!

#35 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Is he being held an gunpoint to produce these, or something? Every time I read an interview, it's always like, "yeah, I wanted the last one to be the last one, but we're doing another one."

They might as well be- they see too much $ with the franchise- so... Put two and two together, and this situation isn't surprising in the slightest.

As such, I figured there would be an MGS 5. Regarding Solid Snake though- lets hope for one of the following:

1. The story takes place before MGS 4.

2. They pull another set of MGS 2 style shenanigans for marketing purposes. :P

#36 Posted by NegativeCero (2927 posts) -

@hidys said:

@Encephalon said:

I was about to ask about chances Snake will be in this game (never played 4). Knowing Kojima, he'll drum up some reason for a Solid Snake-esque character voiced by David Hayter to be in the game. Clone maybe?

#37 Edited by BoOzak (839 posts) -

I really hope it doesnt star Solid Snake that would be pointless, especially after the hour long epilogue at the end of 4. I would like some explantion as to why Big Boss ended up the way he did because Snake Eater & Peace Walker didnt do a very good job at it. (The end of Peace Walker.. WTF!!)

Honestly I prefered DX:HR to MGS3&4. There's just something more awesome about infiltrating secret complexes than roaming around the jungle or Iraq or wherever.

#38 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@NegativeCero said:

@hidys said:

@Encephalon said:

I was about to ask about chances Snake will be in this game (never played 4). Knowing Kojima, he'll drum up some reason for a Solid Snake-esque character voiced by David Hayter to be in the game. Clone maybe?

Clones have worked so far
#39 Posted by Im_a_Wizard (51 posts) -

Maybe they just make another clone of him. Or some cyborg version, like Raiden, except focused on stealth. Robot Stealth Tactics.

#40 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

I'm glad, I'll play any Kojima game.

Also, this is Kojima we're talking about and Metal Gear no less, of course there is going to be some bait-and-switch or it will be set in the past, that's just how he do.

#41 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Just gonna put this out there...

Adam Jensen > Solid Snake

#42 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

@nail1080 said:

Just gonna put this out there...

Adam Jensen > Solid Snake

#43 Posted by bonbolapti (1590 posts) -

"We have not yet finished with Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."

I love that line.

#44 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

Dying since first game.

Still alive

#45 Posted by Zleunamme (609 posts) -

The Solid Snake storyline is done. MGS4 did a good job of wrapping thing up. I was hoping that MGS5 connects Peace Walker to the very first Metal Gear. Or that it takes place in the same universe with different characters. I think this is just hype to sell the magazine like the other print interviews that Kojima has given. I'm just tired of the countdowns leading to another countdowns. I will be happy when I'm able to buy the game off a shelf.

#46 Posted by CounterShock (419 posts) -

Awww man, I was hoping we were done with Solid. Is this confirmation that MGS5 is a Solid game? Because that Diamond Dogs art they put out had Big Boss in it. Unless this game takes place between Peace Walker and Metal Gear, when they weren't fighting yet.

#47 Posted by supamon (1327 posts) -

@Trav said:

@dudeglove said:

@Brendan said:

THE SPICE MUST FLOW

FOLLOW THE SPICE TRAILS.

FEAR IS THE MIND-KILLER.

I feel sorry Hideo Kojima but I definitely wouldn't mind another MGS. The question would be whether the next installment would be after MGS4 or after Peace Walker. If it's after MGS4 I guess Snake would be in a mentoring role for a new protagonist.

#48 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

All I know about Kojima is that his online fans are the most angry, rude and hostile people you can engage in a conversation with. :(

#49 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@hidys said:

@Encephalon said:

Fucking Indeed.

#50 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

I thought he had announced ZOE3 to run on Fox Engine?

The Fox Engine! Damn, I almost forgot about that one! Did they announce any other games for it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.