Metal Gear Solid movie official

• 65 results
#1 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

Avi Arad producing.

This is going to be great ! Believe !

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Well it will be better than the story in the games pretty much by default

#3 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

So is that movie just going to be the length of two cutscenes?

#4 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

Damn you beat me to it..

I dunno, it depends on how involved Kojima is in the final product, because I think in order for the essence of MGS to be there it has to come from him direct..

And then as Patrick Klepek said on twitter "Avi Arad producing the Metal Gear movie. The last game movie he was responsible for? 1993's Double Dragon."

#5 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

THIS WILL NEVER COME OUT

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2667 posts) -

Ah yes, this is probably going to be... awful. But hey, who knows, maybe I will be surprised.

Even though the cutscenes in the Metal Gear Solid games can feel like a movie at times, I somehow doubt that it would translate well or even work in an actual movie.

#7 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

It had better be CGI. I certainly won't be willing to watch a live action Metal Gear, especially if Snake is Japanese.

#8 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

How could you possible fit all of Metal Gear Solid into 2 hours or less? It's going to feel like a trailer or something.

#9 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Wait... what!!!???

WHAT!?

What is happening!? Is this real of is it just a fantasy? Caught in a landslide.... Yeah... I don't know any of the other lyrics other than humming... oh... yeah! THUNDERBOLTS AND LIGHTNING VERY VERY FRIGHTENING!!!

But seriously. WAT!?

Who is actually making this? Just wondering... if it isn't Joss Whedon we are officially fucked at this point.

Oh boy, just checked the guys name out... he was partially involved with The Hulk... 2003 version... everyone! PANIC!

#10 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

wat.

wat.

And Mark Wahlberg will play Solid Snake, and Hugh Grant will play Otacon.

#11 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@mandude said:

How could you possible fit all of Metal Gear Solid into 2 hours or less? It's going to feel like a trailer or something.

Well... I know it can be about four hours long if you skip all the gameplay. It is possible with some clever editing. But if this isn't the first MGS games plot this movie is literally fucked completely.

Unless it takes place in the two MSX system games. Which, although unlikely, might be pretty damn awesome.

#12 Posted by Gnubberen (785 posts) -

Just get Sean Bean as Liquid and we will be fine...

#13 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@mandude said:

Well... I know it can be about four hours long if you skip all the gameplay. It is possible with some clever editing. But if this isn't the first MGS games plot this movie is literally fucked completely.

Unless it takes place in the two MSX system games. Which, although unlikely, might be pretty damn awesome.

It'll either be a re-imagining or Kojima always said that if there was a film, it wouldn't be snake it'd be something completely different

#14 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

Avi Arad producing does not have any bearing on the quality of the movie. He's just a business man who gets deal made out. Before a script and a director is announced, we have no idea how this is going to turn out.

#15 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

@Jay444111 said:

@mandude said:

It'll either be a re-imagining or Kojima always said that if there was a film, it wouldn't be snake it'd be something completely different

It needs to be CGI... I don't care how little money it gets that way. I will fucking start a kickstarter of upwards of two million fucking dollars if we can get noticed... David Hayter is the only Snake... the only one. Any other person playing Snake would suck... automatically. Unless... we dub over their voice... hmmm...

#16 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

@Jay444111: What about Christian Bale doing his Batman voice the whole movie.. huh.. huh.. yeah

#17 Edited by Marz (5672 posts) -

Is Hugh Jackman solid snake? if not... then i can't imagine another person portraying snake facial feature wise.

#18 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

@Jay444111: What about Christian Bale doing his Batman voice the whole movie.. huh.. huh.. yeah

You know... that guy could probably do it... sadly.

Actually. Give him a bandanna and he could easily look like him. I am giving a huge possibility on this one.

#19 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

@Marz: Eric Bana

#20 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

@Jay444111: Well he did volunteer himself during an interview for Public Enemies

#21 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

hmm maybe, does he have a good raspy voice?

#22 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

@Jay444111: Well he did volunteer himself during an interview for Public Enemies

Well... holy shit in a batman cape! That looks like... 85% the way Snake does! Holy crap! They NEED to call him now... They NEED to now... I will be dissapointed if this doesn't happen. But I would be happier if it was a CGI movie with David Hayter voicing snake and also writing the screenplay. (Yeah, David Hayter writes movies! He wroth WATCHMEN, it was such a good script that Alan fucking Moore said that it was the best adaption of his work by far. Snyder even defended the fuck out of it.)

#23 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

@Marz said:

@AuthenticM said:

hmm maybe, does he have a good raspy voice?

Hell. Yes.

#24 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

I have bad feeling about this.

#25 Posted by Hunter5024 (5980 posts) -

There's already like a ton of Metal Gear movies guys.

#26 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

@FlemmingM said:

Just get Sean Bean as Liquid and we will be fine...

Good choice. He would actually be a pretty damn good fit for that.

#27 Posted by Panelhopper (233 posts) -

My vote for casting would be hugh jackman, but david hayter has to be consultated on the casting at the very least(he is also a minor film producer, which is helpful)

#28 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

Ever since I saw this:

I always imagined that guy as Solid Snake in a movie. I mean, he looks like David Hayter and even kinda sounds like David Hayter. So if David Hayter isn't up to it, get this guy.

#29 Posted by Milkman (17341 posts) -

From the producer of other great video game movies like Uncharted, Mass Effect and inFamous.  

Wait...

#30 Posted by FLStyle (4925 posts) -

@Marz said:

Is Hugh Jackman solid snake? if not... then i can't imagine another person portraying snake facial feature wise.

That's actually the head of Big Boss lazily put onto Solid Snake's body for Super Smash Bros. but I get your point.

#31 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

Eric Bana played Bruce Banner in HULK, which Avi Arad was a part of. This reality is likely now.

#32 Posted by Svenzon (731 posts) -

I hope Sean Connery comes out of retirement to play Big Boss.

#33 Posted by CaLe (4056 posts) -

They missed the boat.

#34 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

@Jay444111: Well his Watchmen script was heavilly re-written.. but you should track down a copy of Guyver: Dark Hero, he stars in it

@CaLe: Well that would be a full circle, the inspiration -> the character -> the inspiration being the character

#35 Posted by CaLe (4056 posts) -

@Genkkaku: I didn't know that was the inspiration. Sure makes a lot of sense now that I think about it though.

#36 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

@CaLe: Haha yeah, I had to look into it after playing MGS2 and hearing the name Iriquois Plisken (which it turns out Iriquois means snake).. But Kurt Russell in his Prime would have made a killer Snake..

Well there's always Big Boss/ Solidus / Old Snake

#37 Posted by Humanity (10137 posts) -

The english voice actor for Snake looks just like him although he is a voice actor so his actual acting skills might be horrible.

#38 Posted by WebScud (118 posts) -

The idea of a movie based on a Japanese game that was heavily influenced by American movies is amusing.

#39 Posted by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

Oh shit, this is not....

I don't know man

#40 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

@Humanity:

#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:

THIS WILL NEVER COME OUT

Why you gotta be such a buzz kill, Mr. buzz_killington? 

...you're totally right.
#42 Posted by Korolev (1728 posts) -

This probably won't come out - realize that they've just announced their intent to make a film - they haven't even started thinking of the Cast - Kojima just threw out names he would like to see in his film (although why the hell he thinks Mark "Marky-Mark" Wahlberg is a good choice is beyond me).

Almost certainly won't come out. If it does, it should be CGI.

#43 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

Considering how much trouble video game movies have being made I'm going to say this won't happen.

#44 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4897 posts) -

It'd be kinda nice if they used Hayter's script from 2004-2006 for an MGS movie. You know, the one described as "Apocalypse Now for the digital age."

Shit, just get Hayter to write it. Dude knows his craft.

#45 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
I see you like to watch the Hangover?
#46 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Well, if it does come out (see: Uncharted, Halo), I hope it's good.

#47 Posted by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

So is that movie just going to be the length of two cutscenes?

Dude you are so full of it with your metal gear slander! If this movie has a good 2-2.5 hour run time you know it will only equal the length of 1.25-1.5 MG cut scenes tops!

Seriously though I think it can work, there has been some fan movies already that while campy and silly were pretty fun.

#48 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

Well, time to roll out my standard video game movie response: I have pretty low hopes for this thing, but on the plus side it will probably never get made.

#49 Posted by optimusprime223 (399 posts) -

I love that film...especially the final battle, Guyver Zornoid!

But, I don't think Hayter can pull off Snake in a full acting role, and not Bana either, Bale maybe...

#50 Edited by doosmacleod (189 posts) -

He's a down-on-his-luck Next-Generation Genome Soldier! "Oh no not again! (Fart sound)" She's a rookie helping out a secret agent! Can the two of them find love in the frozen battlefield? Jack Black is... METAL GEAR SASAKI!

Rated PG. Adult Themes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.