NEW Metal gear game has just been shown: "Ground Zeroes"

#1 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -

This is from Konami's official Metal gear 25th Anniversary Event. Running on their new FOX Engine. AAAAH! 

@kazamatsuri 12:08 AM
Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes demo was truly amazing, running on a PC at current-gen specs. Wow. #mg25

John Ricciardi ‏@johntv
Well other ppl talking about it so...next MG shown, and it looks F'ing HOT. Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes #foxengine #mgs25 #openworld #want

Update again: NEW official picture from konami.jp  

Reads: From "FOX", two phantoms were born.

#2 Edited by Fjordson (2433 posts) -

Everyone is saying it looked amazing. Fuck me sideways, Kojima already has me hyped. Open-world? Night time atmosphere? Shown on a PC?

#3 Posted by AuthenticM (3806 posts) -

I am fucking PUMPED HOLY SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ahem. Seriously. I am excited.

#4 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

I WANT TO SEEEEEEE!

#5 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Wait, are they saying there's a day-night cycle and weather like an actual open world game? Or that it seems open and that the demo they showed happened to be set at night while it was raining?

#6 Edited by Fjordson (2433 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Wait, are they saying there's a day-night cycle and weather like an actual open world game? Or that it seems open and that the demo they showed happened to be set at night while it was raining?

We've known for a while now that Kojima is working on an actual open-world game, so this is probably that.

#7 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

CANNOT FUCKING WAIT TO SEE THIS, MORE CAPS.

Also, Ground Zeroes is a pretty absurd name, and very fitting for a Kojima/MG game.

#8 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Fjordson said:

@MrKlorox said:

We've known for a while now that Kojima is working on an actual open-world game, so this is probably that.

That's good to hear. One of the things I said seems far more likely than the other without that piece of information.
#9 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

I expect second hand footage of this by the time I wake up tomorrow. GET ON IT INTERNET!

#10 Posted by TheHT (11839 posts) -

!

#11 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
@MiniPato said:

I expect second hand footage of this by the time I wake up tomorrow. GET ON IT INTERNET!

They forbid pictures during the trailer. SOMEONE always gets SOMETHING though. Gotta believe. 
#12 Edited by SharkEthic (1064 posts) -

@TheHT said:

!

I see what you did there, well done sir.

Edit: The sound actually played in my head.

#13 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

@TheHT said:

!

Yup, perfect response. Close it up, folks.

#14 Posted by Soap (3646 posts) -

@TheHT said:

!

/thread

#15 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3091 posts) -

Ground Zeroes is a stupid name.

#16 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

This is from Konami's official Metal gear 25th Anniversary Event. Running on their new FOX Engine. AAAAH!

@kazamatsuri 12:08 AM
Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes demo was truly amazing, running on a PC at current-gen specs. Wow. #mg25

John Ricciardi ‏@johntv
Well other ppl talking about it so...next MG shown, and it looks F'ing HOT. Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes #foxengine #mgs25 #openworld #want

Update: GAAAAH OFFICIAL PICTURE!!

Damn, Big Boss is in more games than Solid Snake now. Still hyped though.

#17 Posted by SpiderCabaret (31 posts) -

Punched my ticket for the hype train. I'm always down for more Big Boss.

#18 Posted by Ghostiet (5345 posts) -
@MiniPato
Are we sure it's Big Boss? Maybe they're touching upon the Philanthropy before MGS2.
#19 Posted by ThunderSlash (1971 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@MiniPato: Are we sure it's Big Boss? Maybe they're touching upon the Philanthropy before MGS2.

There is a Militaires Sans Frontieres patch on his shoulder.

#20 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@MiniPato: Are we sure it's Big Boss? Maybe they're touching upon the Philanthropy before MGS2.

That patch and uniform are defintely from Peace Walker.

#21 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

GET HYPE

#22 Posted by Fjordson (2433 posts) -

From Konami's website:

From "FOX", two phantoms were born.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5345 posts) -
@ThunderSlash
@MiniPato
Yeah, didn't notice that.
#24 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
@Fjordson: Just saw it, thanks!
#25 Edited by Fjordson (2433 posts) -

- Current-gen game confirmed, demo was on PC.

- Story hints in the script include "soldiers who cannot return home", "Paz" and "Mother Base".

Seems to be some confusion over the name. Either Ground Zero or "Ground Zeroes".

#26 Posted by probablytuna (3832 posts) -

Sign me the fuck up.

#27 Posted by Mnemoidian (962 posts) -

As much as I was hoping we'd be hearing something about something Zone of the Enders related before another Metal Gear game, this is really exciting.

First thought there was something odd about that image - but I think it's just that I'm used to it being very obvious which snake we're talking about from seeing their faces (eyepatch or not/solid eye), and the NV-goggles threw me off (and I think you can see the eyepatch-strap behind the goggles anyway?)

Two phantoms sounds like it will be focusing on the split between Big Boss and Zero? Though that may be later...

Not sure if there's anything in that image that could hint at what year the game takes place in? What with all the cloning, nano machines, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if (though I'm not getting a "futuristic" vibe from that image). I guess it's in the Peace Walker era - somewhere between 1974 (Peacewalker) and late 80s (founding of Outer Heaven).

Either way, yeah!

#28 Posted by anywhereilay (175 posts) -

...Please, let this be the last one. It sounds good and all, but I kinda want to see a new IP. I don't know how much more plot convolution I can take.

#29 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Will buy! Just give me a date!

#30 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

@Mnemoidian said:

As much as I was hoping we'd be hearing something about something Zone of the Enders related before another Metal Gear game, this is really exciting.

First thought there was something odd about that image - but I think it's just that I'm used to it being very obvious which snake we're talking about from seeing their faces (eyepatch or not/solid eye), and the NV-goggles threw me off (and I think you can see the eyepatch-strap behind the goggles anyway?)

Here's another image that clearly shows the eyepatch strap.

Is it me or does he look younger in that picture? Hard to tell when you can't see the rest of his face.

#31 Posted by Mnemoidian (962 posts) -

@MiniPato: Thanks - yeah, it's much clearer there.

And yeah, his apparent youth threw me off as well, but it might just be the higher resolution of the image (used to PSP Big Boss :P). Either way, the MSF being founded in 1972 (2 years before Peace Walker), doesn't leave much room for being younger.

Unless he spent a lot of time after Peace Walker at a spa? :)

#32 Posted by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

Don't care... I'm hyped for anything MGS so bring it on! Big Boss as well.

#33 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

The phrase on that poster is "Kept you waiting". That seems odd, since Peace Walker came out what, 2 years ago? And Big Boss, if that is him, looks considerably younger.

#34 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Damn I will be listening to 8-4 podcast if he was there.

#35 Edited by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

@anywhereilay said:

...Please, let this be the last one. It sounds good and all, but I kinda want to see a new IP. I don't know how much more plot convolution I can take.

No way, the MGS franchise earns Konami to damn much to have Kojima make a new IP. And to be fair, Kojima himself seems reluctant to let others take over the development of MGS games. If anything, we might see another Zone of Enders game next gen but he'll still be doing MGS.

#36 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

said:

Ground Zeroes is a stupid name.

Actually, this is right. I rescind my previous statement about it merely being absurd; Ground Zeroes is a stupid name.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Oh shit, good point. Now I actually have a reason to listen to that.

#37 Posted by TheHT (11839 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

lol i imagine their next podcast will get a LOT of new listeners.

#38 Posted by N7 (3683 posts) -

Spaghetti keeps falling from my pocket!! I knew he was working on an open-world MGS game, but fuck! I had forgotten about the 25th anniversary. All of my hype. ALL OF IT.

#39 Posted by WebScud (118 posts) -

Based on the tagline, I'm guessing gameplay will be split between Solid Snake and Liquid Snake or it's all about Les Enfants Terribles as it's happening.

#40 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

HOLY SHIZNET!!!!!!!!!

All we had to do was believe..

We you believe you can achieve anything....

#41 Posted by CODA117 (30 posts) -

O__O.....Must....have!

#42 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Oh god, this sounds awesome!

#43 Edited by Jasta (2217 posts) -

It'll be intended for this generation, right?

EDIT: Never mind, it is.

#44 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11421 posts) -

SO EXCITED!

And yeah, that's Big Boss. You can see the strap from his eye-patch in the space between those goggles and his hair.

#45 Posted by Maajin (1092 posts) -

Is it me or Big Boss is looking more and more like Che Guevara?

#46 Posted by N7 (3683 posts) -

"The scene starts in a remote military base with heavy rain. The camera is following a shadowy figure in a business suit and hat accompanied by a number of well-armed soldiers and guard dogs as he converses with a little boy in a cage. He throws a portable music player after some dialogue and the boy proceeded to use it. The rest of the scene was playing "Here's To You" from the film "Sacco e Vanzetti" (also on Metal Gear Solid 4) as the man in a coat rides off to an airfield before taking off on a helicopter to an undisclosed location. Before erasing the "XOF" emblem off of the helicopter, he took out his hat and speaks about what transpired in very vague words. His face and head was all burned-up and scarred with no hair; at this point in time, we have no idea who he is. He proceeded to toss away all a stash of mini "XOF" emblems as he flew off with the rest of the soldiers."

"Series creator Hideo Kojima then took centrestage and showed off the title's gameplay for a few minutes. We see Snake do what he does best: go in a prone state and sneak around (no Octocam this time; just old-fashioned crawling and hiding), as well as going into aiming mode in third person shooting a nearby guard at a security post. We should also mention that the demo gave out a sandbox open-world vibe; the military base itself felt expansive and huge, and Snake can summon a helicopter to bring him around as well as drive a jeep to go from point A to B. Kojima did state that he wishes to add a new spin to the stealth genre; even when you're discovered, you can use all the means and tools to escape rather than see a "game over" screen. "

#47 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

I don't like the name, but I'm pumped to see this!

!

#48 Posted by Demoskinos (15188 posts) -

I'll be more excited when I ya know...get to see the game running in motion.

#49 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

This Playstation game was demoed on a PC? Nice.

#50 Posted by Harpell (183 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic

This Playstation game was demoed on a PC? Nice.

Supposedly it will be on 360 as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.