Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

New Metal Gear Solid Collection confirmed for PS3

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So a few days ago there was a rumor of a new collection coming to PS3 based on a picture of a Korean ratings board that Kojima himself tweeted out. Well, its confirmed. No price or date but this is Konami's official statement on the matter:

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the METAL GEAR SOLID franchise, this PlayStation®3 exclusive package will include METAL GEAR SOLID, METAL GEAR SOLID 2: HD Edition, METAL GEAR SOLID 3: HD Edition (which includes the original MSX versions of METAL GEAR and METAL GEAR 2), METAL GEAR SOLID: Peace Walker HD Edition, METAL GEAR SOLID: VR MISSIONS and METAL GEAR SOLID 4: Trophy Edition. In addition, the collection will also include two Ashley Wood digital graphic novels.

Thinking I might have to get this just for a collectors item although having a physical copy of MGS1 again would be nice along with VR Missions disc. I really loved playing the Cyborg Ninja missions in that game. - Source

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Man... what do I have to do for an Xbox version of this. Still, hell of a collection of games.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

It's really good I didn't buy that HD Collection.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really interested in the digital novels actually. Ashley Wood's work in PeaceWalker was fantastic. I was initially skeptical of the motion comic bit but it totally works to that games advantage.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Cool for those who haven't already owned the series yet, I guess this is a good time for people interested in the series to jump in ready for Ground Zeroes.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, for those keeping track this is like... the 3rd "Collection" as they did this one back in the PS2 days too.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm a little bummed that it's the PS1 version of MGS, and not (the better looking) Twin Snakes, but I know the challenges in getting that on a non-Nintendo platform are probably not worth it, so I'm not surprised.

Still kinda cool though. Kinda.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By EuanDewar
    Loading Video...

wasn't the 25th anniversary a year ago

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

How could they leave out Portable Ops?

I kid, I kid.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Oh wow, VR/Special Missions too?! No joke, that is genuinely one of my favourite MGS games... I've still got my original copy mind, but it'd be nice to have it much more easily accessible on my PS3. Though I've also already bought the original HD collection and since I still do own them all anyway... I dunno, maybe once it's cheap enough down the line.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I'm a little bummed that it's the PS1 version of MGS, and not (the better looking) Twin Snakes, but I know the challenges in getting that on a non-Nintendo platform are probably not worth it, so I'm not surprised.

Better looking maybe, but the voice acting is definitely weaker overall and the way the cutscenes were directed fit poorly with the tone of the game. I'd be cool if both where there in the pack, but out of the two I'd say its worth people play the original rather than Twin Snakes.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @mooseymcman said:

Better looking maybe, but the voice acting is definitely weaker overall and the way the cutscenes were directed fit poorly with the tone of the game. I'd be cool if both where there in the pack, but out of the two I'd say its worth people play the original rather than Twin Snakes.

I know I'm in the minority on The Twin Snakes, but that was the one I played, and that's the one I would rather see.

Also, the voice acting is totally fine if you don't have the original to compare it to. I should say that I still have never played the PS1 version.

And the cutscenes fit perfectly fine. Don't say it doesn't fit the mood, the following games featured stuff like a man in a robot suit with tentacles shooting giant robots with explosive rounds out of a P90. (Yeah yeah, different game with different tone, etc.). If anything, I'd say that with the direction the series ended up taking after MGS1, the cutscenes in Twin Snakes fit it better (I assume you mean the over the top nature of the action in them).

But, hey, opinions! I'll be arguing my pro-Twin Snakes and my Uncharted 3 is better than Uncharted 2 agenda to the end of my days!

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This should have been the original HD collection, not buying another one.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been meaning to go back and play through the MGS games again, so this is pretty perfect. Definitely glad I didn't buy that HD collection now.

And the cutscenes fit perfectly fine. Don't say it doesn't fit the mood, the following games featured stuff like a man in a robot suit with tentacles shooting giant robots with explosive rounds out of a P90. (Yeah yeah, different game with different tone, etc.). If anything, I'd say that with the direction the series ended up taking after MGS1, the cutscenes in Twin Snakes fit it better (I assume you mean the over the top nature of the action in them).

It's not so much that the cut-scenes are over the top, but more that they just don't fit. Having Raiden performing backflips to avoid missiles or cling to the ceiling like Spider-man might make sense, but Solid Snake doing these things? And lot of the lines of dialogue from the original that were fantastically over the top are just delivered completely flatly, like the voice actors just didn't care about what they were doing.

I'm happy they went with the original Playstation version over Twin Snakes.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

All I'm saying is that if there was an HD re-release of The Twin Snakes, on say, the Wii U, and I had a Wii U, I would buy it.

And probably be one of two or three people who would.

Anyway, unless this thing is super cheap, I think I'll just buy Peace Walker HD on its own to get my Metal Gear fix until whenever it is that Ground Zeroes and/or MGSV comes out. Never mind that I already own it on PSP.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

I own MGS on PSN and I have the HD collection. All I'm missing is MGS4 but I've played it already. If I didn't own any of them I'd for sure get this though. It's an awesome collection.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all over this. I'm a little disappointed that it's not quite complete (they should have thrown Portable Ops in there while they were at it), but still, day 1.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer

Where is Portable Ops? The narrative jump from MGS3 to Peace Walker makes no sense without it. It would be like watching Buffy season 1 then going straight into Angel season 4.

EDIT: Yeah, what the fuck, VR missions but no Portable Ops?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@demoskinos: Wasn't the first collection on the PS2 just the individual MGS1, 2, and 3 in a box set? That's not quite the same thing.

Though honestly, this is what the first MGS HD collection should have been.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Tiiiiiiight. VR Missions is awesome.

Is this an HD Metal Gear Solid 1....? Or just the PS1 MGS on PS3? Seems like a strange outlier here. Not that I'd want Twin Snakes (shudder)...

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By oraknabo

Here's hoping they get this working on the PS4 for launch. I'm really interested in a collection like this, especially because I missed 4, but I'll probably never own a PS3. There are definite issues with porting 4 to a new processor, but since they've working on this entire collection to come out this year, maybe they had the time to do it.

Unless Microsoft blows me away with their news, I'll probably getting the PS4 this time around.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this an HD Metal Gear Solid 1....? Or just the PS1 MGS on PS3? Seems like a strange outlier here. Not that I'd want Twin Snakes (shudder)...

I think VR Missions and MGS 1 are straight up PS One Discs Then probably a 3rd with the HD versions of 2,3 and Peacewalker. No lie... VR Missions is a main motivator to get this. It be great to have one nice looking box to put on my shelf with all the games.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SuperWristBands

I already have the collection on the X360, as well as MGS4 and the collection they released for the PS2 (which includes a copy of MGS1 for the PSX... what an odd bundle). Even with all that, I probably would have purchased this if it had Portable Ops.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cameron

All of these games were out a year and a half ago when they put out the HD collection. This just seems dirty. I could see if it was five years later and on a new platform, but just over a year... come on Konami. Oh well, I guess business is business.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@geraltitude said:

I think VR Missions and MGS 1 are straight up PS One Discs Then probably a 3rd with the HD versions of 2,3 and Peacewalker. No lie... VR Missions is a main motivator to get this. It be great to have one nice looking box to put on my shelf with all the games.

Oh for sure - I'd be getting this collection just for VR Missions & Peacewalker (and yeah, the nice box they come in). Let's say we take a moment out to appreciate the incredible simplicity and beauty of the original VR missions box and disc.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By szlifier

What a money grab. You can be damn sure it's gonna be just a code for MGS1.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By musubi

@szlifier: Well this is obviously targeted at hardcore fans. So I don't see the problem here. Hardcore fans will buy it and be happy and the rest of everyone will ignore it.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I already own multiple copies of most of the games in that collection (who the hell needs 2 copies of MGS1, 3 of MGS2 and 4 copies of MGS:3? this guy!), with the exception of the VR missions and the graphic novels, and i will probably still buy this. I have a problem!

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

They're finally releasing the second Digital Graphic Novel? That's pretty weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a shitload of Metal Gear.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bigjeffrey

I wish i could play this on the xbox, now i need to go buy a ps3 from craigslist. Uhhh human interaction.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why people are having a problem with this. It's a great deal for people who haven't jumped on board yet. Just like the God of War Saga pack. Nothing wrong with just getting everything together in one place. If you already have the stuff, so what, just means one less thing to buy.

That being said, I hope they release the digital graphic novels on PSN individually. I would by the crap out of those. I have DGN1 on the PSP, but DGN2 never came out here, so I would love to play it.

Too bad they'll never get Twin Snakes in HD. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why, and never expect them to. But, it would still be awesome.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already own multiple copies of most of the games in that collection (who the hell needs 2 copies of MGS1, 3 of MGS2 and 4 copies of MGS:3? this guy!), with the exception of the VR missions and the graphic novels, and i will probably still buy this. I have a problem!

I've bought every damn version of every Ninja Gaiden game ever released so... I'm pretty much with you there in sucker-ville.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't see the point, they are about to release a new console that doesn't play PS3 games.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

PlayStation Blog just posted some info on the US release. $50 is not bad at all for everything that comes with it, probably wait till it drops to $40 and snatch it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Glad I've never played any of those games besides MGS 1 (didn't even beat it though)! Seems like a good time for me to jump on board, but what about Reveangence? Does that not deserve a spot?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Metal Gear game I ever played was number 4. Haven't finished it or played it a long time. Definitely going to pick this collection up

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
    Loading Video...

What Metal Gear fan are thinking right now when they heard the news...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.