Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Thinking out loud: Metal Gear Solid 5: Let sleeping Snake's lie.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

Edited By Mikey2D
    He's served his purpose - but let Solid Snake finally rest

I like many have found various pieces of news / rumours regarding the possiblity of Hideo Kojima working on Metal Gear Solid 5. Having thought about the idea of an MGS 5 I personally would say 'no thanks' to the idea in some respects.

My main reason for being a negative nelly is due to the fact that Metal Gear Solid 4 was billed as Snake's final mission. It was a chance for a gaming generation to have a last hurrah and to say goodbye to a sneaking / stealth legend and the master of 'the old cardboard box trick' - Solid Snake. The problem with this idea however was that they didn't deliver. Our experience was cut short by a bait and switch, what could of been a truely epic ending for a gaming icon was destroyed by the fear of change. This is a phenomenon that occurs heavily in TV shows. The cop show that tries to change the format and have the main character in jail only to have him out before the hour is up...why not go for something different, have them in for a full series - change the format and keep it fresh? Instead with MGS 4 it was left open for what we are now hearing rumours of - Metal Gear Solid 5.

I do not want to see Solid Snake return. I do not want to see him even older, even more chewed out and a shadow of his former self. If we had to continue this franchise - stop with Snake and give me a new protagonist. Advance the MGS universe 20-30 years and have the main protagonist be Meryl and Johnny's son. You could still have some familiar faces show up if necessary. But put in some new mechanics, some fresh ideas and go easy on the cutscenes. Don't get me wrong - I liked MGS 4 just fine and the cutscenes were amazingly produced, but maybe consider adopting a bit more player participation.

Alpha Protocol was at its core very flawed, but it had a fantastic conversation system that you needed to stay involved with cutscenes to use. This could offer the chance to have a bit more say in how your character would react to situations in a new MGS - perhaps even branch the storyline off to offer greater replay value.

All in all I just don't want to see Kojima say something along the lines of 'I'm stepping down - I won't be part of this." only to push those who take the reigns away cause they're not doing quite what he'd like with the franchise. If you have to do this again Hideo - go big or go home. Make something unique and original and just mix it up a little. Don't be afraid to change the format like everyone else.

How does everyone else feel about a potential MGS 5? Do you have any ideas on how to keep it fresh? Or would you like nothing more then to see the world of MGS left well and truely alone.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mikey2D

I like many have found various pieces of news / rumours regarding the possiblity of Hideo Kojima working on Metal Gear Solid 5. Having thought about the idea of an MGS 5 I personally would say 'no thanks' to the idea in some respects.

My main reason for being a negative nelly is due to the fact that Metal Gear Solid 4 was billed as Snake's final mission. It was a chance for a gaming generation to have a last hurrah and to say goodbye to a sneaking / stealth legend and the master of 'the old cardboard box trick' - Solid Snake. The problem with this idea however was that they didn't deliver. Our experience was cut short by a bait and switch, what could of been a truely epic ending for a gaming icon was destroyed by the fear of change. This is a phenomenon that occurs heavily in TV shows. The cop show that tries to change the format and have the main character in jail only to have him out before the hour is up...why not go for something different, have them in for a full series - change the format and keep it fresh? Instead with MGS 4 it was left open for what we are now hearing rumours of - Metal Gear Solid 5.

I do not want to see Solid Snake return. I do not want to see him even older, even more chewed out and a shadow of his former self. If we had to continue this franchise - stop with Snake and give me a new protagonist. Advance the MGS universe 20-30 years and have the main protagonist be Meryl and Johnny's son. You could still have some familiar faces show up if necessary. But put in some new mechanics, some fresh ideas and go easy on the cutscenes. Don't get me wrong - I liked MGS 4 just fine and the cutscenes were amazingly produced, but maybe consider adopting a bit more player participation.

Alpha Protocol was at its core very flawed, but it had a fantastic conversation system that you needed to stay involved with cutscenes to use. This could offer the chance to have a bit more say in how your character would react to situations in a new MGS - perhaps even branch the storyline off to offer greater replay value.

All in all I just don't want to see Kojima say something along the lines of 'I'm stepping down - I won't be part of this." only to push those who take the reigns away cause they're not doing quite what he'd like with the franchise. If you have to do this again Hideo - go big or go home. Make something unique and original and just mix it up a little. Don't be afraid to change the format like everyone else.

How does everyone else feel about a potential MGS 5? Do you have any ideas on how to keep it fresh? Or would you like nothing more then to see the world of MGS left well and truely alone.

LaboratoryCoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LaboratoryCoat

I would love to see a Metal Gear Solid game where you play as The Boss during World War II.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mikey2D

@LaboratoryCoat: That too sounds really good. I'd just really like to see the series move in a new area with a new main character if the series carries on. The boss would make for a great character :)

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Mikey2D: I think it's fairly obvious with how Kojima operates and how Metal Gear Solid 4 wrapped up that Snake's story is truly over.

I don't even think Big Boss would be viable for Kojima either.

Also adding a WRPG conversation system is not what these games are about. Then again it's not like Metal Gear Solid 5 is coming out.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NegativeCero

Totally agree. I think this franchise needs a change for it to continue going. I kind of wish Kojima would take a break and finally give us Zone of the Enders 3.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By N7

Aside from announcing Peace Walker 2 almost two years ago, and from the fact that they're continuing the Big Boss story into his mercenary years, and the founding of Outer Heaven, I don't think we're seeing the end of it, and rightfully so.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By krisgebis

If I had any say in what to change in MGS, there would't be anything left for the fans of the series, so I won't try to push Kojima or anyone else to make those changes.

How about translating Snatcher and rereleasing it on XBLA and PSN? Then maybe make a sequel for that one. Never tried it, but it really looks interesting.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mikey2D

If all else fails - lets just put jet packs in MGS.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikeGosot
    @NegativeCero said:

Totally agree. I think this franchise needs a change for it to continue going. I kind of wish Kojima would take a break and finally give us Zone of the Enders 3.

He announced for 3DS, i think. Feel free to correct me.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soldierg654342

Snake should have offed himself. The ending of MGS4 took the piss out of his character arc.

I don't want MGS5. I think the best thing to do would be to start a new Metal Gear series with new mechanics and new characters. There's a lot of shit going on in that universe, it's not like there aren't any stories left to tell.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mikey2D

@SoldierG654342 said:

Snake should have offed himself. The ending of MGS4 took the piss out of his character arc.

Totally agree

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By solidejake

I want a Metal Gear Ac!d 3. Those were fun!

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kandycane2029

@N7 said:

Aside from announcing Peace Walker 2 almost two years ago, and from the fact that they're continuing the Big Boss story into his mercenary years, and the founding of Outer Heaven, I don't think we're seeing the end of it, and rightfully so.

I wouldn't mind seeing them take the story into Big Boss' mercenary years. I haven't played Peace Walker yet, but after playing Portable Ops, I've been waiting to play a game where Big Boss finally snaps.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By N7
    @Kandycane2029 said:

@N7 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them take the story into Big Boss' mercenary years. I haven't played Peace Walker yet, but after playing Portable Ops, I've been waiting to play a game where Big Boss finally snaps.

Well, I don't know how far you've gotten into the series, so I'll block this off into a spoiler block. 

EDIT: for some reason, the second half of your post wasn't there before I replied, so you might not want to read this at all, as it goes pretty spoiler heavy into both MGS4 and Peace Walker. In fact, it's the biggest spoiler you'll ever read. And Portable Ops is pretty insignificant, really. That game is the step-child of the series BY FAR.

And even a bigger spoiler for the hidden ending of Peace Walker.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kandycane2029

I've played all of the games (many times) except Peace Walker, which I finally own thanks to the HD collection. Though, it has been a few years since I played through MGS4, so that first spoiler block was great refresher. I won't read the other two until I finish PW because I've managed to stay far away from spoilers this long.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp

@rebgav said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Then again it's not like Metal Gear Solid 5 is coming out.

I think that the Metal Gear name is probably more valuable to Konami than Kojima is.

Konami will surely release The Metal Gear, but I don't think there's going to be a MGS5. Too many people didn't play MGS4, and a port to the 360 in this day and age wouldn't go over too well.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NegativeCero

@MikeGosot said:

@NegativeCero said:

I wouldn't call that picture a confirmation, but I've never actually seen that story. But that kind of bums me out. I want ZoE to get the HD treatment and production values on par with the MGS games.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Cornman89

I agree. I wouldn't want Kojima to drag Snake back for another game. He should've blown his goddamned brains out three years ago. In fact, that's why I don't want him to return in future Metal Gear games: so I can pretend that that happened.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeGosot
    @NegativeCero said:

@MikeGosot said:

@NegativeCero said:

I wouldn't call that picture a confirmation, but I've never actually seen that story. But that kind of bums me out. I want ZoE to get the HD treatment and production values on par with the MGS games.

All that i've saw was the picture, but anyway, if he makes ZoE for the 3DS and that sells well, maybe we will get "ZoE: Now in HD and with a big budget, Motherfuckers".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.