Who is the main character of the Metal Gear Solid series?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

#2 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

solid

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The games are named after Solid Snake so I'd go for that. Kind of funny though because he's been the MC of less games since they added the "Solid" to the title.

#4 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

#5 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Metal Gear

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

While I like Big Boss more Solid Snake is the main character.

#7 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

The games are named after Solid Snake so I'd go for that. Kind of funny though because he's been the MC of less games since they added the "Solid" to the title.

The games aren't named after "Solid" Snake, the Solid refers to the series using 3D geometry, "solid" environments.

#8 Posted by EpicBenjamin (624 posts) -

Biggie Boss.

#9 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Solid Snake.

#10 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

If you know anything about the series....

It started with solid snake. Metal gear- Metal Gear 2- Solid snake, Metal gear solid 1-4. Plus the spin offs like the gbc game, and the 2 psp games.

Big boss is a good character, but even with all the games hes in, the only ones that explore the actual character are 3 and 4. Turns heel in the first game, and is barely in the sequel, metal gear 2. Sure hes the star in peace walker, but they don't really talk about....himself much at all. Seems like every game with solid snake has some major character development. Metal gear 2 was absolutely huge, and even bigger in metal gear solid. Turns into a badass in mgs2, and into a tragedy in metal gear solid 4. Which that tragedy is what makes the series. From metal gear, to metal gear solid 4. There is always some big tragedy with the character, that we don't really see with big boss but a handful of times.

In short? Definately solid snake, unless a few more big boss games come out and actually explore the character a bit more. Peace walkers a great game, but not a great story. Portable ops tried to do it....but couldn't quite hit the mark.

#11 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

Well The Boss is the central character. Without the misinterpretation of her ideals, Big Boss would have never spiraled out of face with the government. And Zero would have never tried to "get back" at Big Boss by cloning him. Without The Boss, Big Boss would never have become the worlds greatest mercenary, and never would have had any offspring.

Therefore, Big Boss. He carries the most weight within the series. Whereas Solid Snake has always been a follower, Big Boss is a leader.

"Son, or should I call you... Brother?" *EPIC BROHUG*

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -

The cardboard box. That's what Metal Gear is all about: A down-on-its-luck box getting the chance to prove to the world that there's more to life than being full of objects. People get too hung up on that guy that helps the box get from place to place.

#13 Posted by DeF (4848 posts) -

david hayter's voice.

#14 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

Nanomachines are the true star.

#15 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Liquidus said:

@Jack268 said:

The games aren't named after "Solid" Snake, the Solid refers to the series using 3D geometry, "solid" environments.

I thought the games were named after Solid Snakes fight with all Metal Gears. Especially since he wasn't introduced till the first Metal Gear Solid.

#16 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

@Liquidus said:

@Jack268 said:

I thought the games were named after Solid Snakes fight with all Metal Gears. Especially since he wasn't introduced till the first Metal Gear Solid.

Solid Snake was the main character in Metal Gear 1 and 2 on the MSX.

#17 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@Liquidus: @thechronodarkness: The Metal Gear games are not a part of the Metal Gear Solid series.

#18 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -

@msavo said:

While I like Big Boss more Solid Snake is the main character.
#19 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Well Solid Snake was the main character in MGS1, a third of MGS2, non-existent in MGS3 and Peace Walker and was the main character in MGS4. The only common denominator in all of them is...

@DeF said:

david hayter's voice.

#20 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

Metal Gear??

#21 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Liquidus: @thechronodarkness: The Metal Gear games are not a part of the Metal Gear Solid series.

How so? The stories of MG1 and MG2 are referenced and part of the canon in the later MGS games. Just because it they don't have Solid in the title as well, doesn't make them separate. Besides, what does this have to do with who is the main character?

#22 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

Snake.

#23 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

No doubt, Snake.

#24 Posted by FateOfNever (1826 posts) -

@Liquidus said:

@Hizang said:

How so? The stories of MG1 and MG2 are referenced and part of the canon in the later MGS games. Just because it they don't have Solid in the title as well, doesn't make them separate. Besides, what does this have to do with who is the main character?

That doesn't make those games specifically part of the series, however.

Take, for example, Megaman. This is the most direct series to compare this situation to. Megaman has multiple series - Megaman, Megaman X, Megaman Zero, Megaman ZX, Megaman Battle-Network, Megaman Legends. However, would you say that Megaman and Megaman Zero are part of the same specific series? Megaman X directly references parts of story from the original Megaman series, and Zero references the X series, therefore, are Megaman and Megaman Zero part of the same specific series? They loosely have some of the main characters, they take place in the same universe, but they're still fundamentally all different series of games within the same universe. I mean, if I asked who is the main character of Megaman X, would you say "Megaman. Because he was in Megaman 1-10 which is more games than any other character has been a main character from X-X6."?

#25 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@Liquidus: The Metal Gear games are apart of there own series, its why MGS1 is not MGS3. I asked who is the main character of the Metal Gear Solid Franchise, these games are MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGSPO, MGSPW.

That is what it has to do with the question I asked.

#26 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Liquidus: The Metal Gear games are apart of there own series, its why MGS1 is not MGS3. I asked who is the main character of the Metal Gear Solid Franchise, these games are MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGSPO, MGSPW.

That is what it has to do with the question I asked.

They're not but sure, you can pretend they are if you're feel that way. Regardless, Solid Snake is the main character of the series as a whole.

#27 Posted by JustKamToo (681 posts) -

The cutscenes

#28 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Solid Snake I guess. Even though he was only the main character in 2 of the 6 games.

#29 Edited by Dixego (384 posts) -

I'm going for Ocelot.

He appears in:

Metal Gear Solid

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

So, yeah.

Edit: I haven't played any of the portable games, so I can't say if he appears in any of those.

Edit2: I originally wrote "I'm going for Liquid"; It's correct now.

#30 Posted by aceofspudz (937 posts) -

Hideo Kojima

#31 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

Ocelot is the main character.

I thought this was well known.

#32 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

Big Boss.

#33 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

The DARPA chief

#34 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

@rentfn said:

Metal Gear??

IT CANT BE?!?!?

#35 Posted by MaddogExplosive (16 posts) -

Yep, this:

@DeF said:

david hayter's voice.

#36 Posted by DocHaus (1324 posts) -

David Hayter's voice and nanomachines. Together.

#37 Posted by SpaceRunaway (861 posts) -

Snake is the main character.  Doesn't matter which one.

#38 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I'm going to go with Ocelot.

#39 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Liquidus said:

@pw2566ch said:

@Liquidus said:

@Jack268 said:

Solid Snake was the main character in Metal Gear 1 and 2 on the MSX.

Ok. Then I totally have my characters mixed up. Because I thought the Big Boss version of Snake was in Metal Gear 1 & 2. Maybe I should play those games before I speak up.

#40 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

I think it's actually a tribute to writing of the Metal Gear series, that this is even a question for some people.

my vote is for Solid if I'm forced to choose, but I'm not sure it really matters. The story itself is the main star in my opinion

I wish more franchises had the depth of story/universe like Metal Gear has.

#41 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -

Otacon, DUH

but in all seriousnes, Solid Snake

#42 Posted by Tophat666 (229 posts) -

@BoG said:

I'm going to go with Ocelot.

#43 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

The guy on the cover.

#44 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Otacon.

#45 Posted by FLStyle (4649 posts) -

Ocelot for me, he has the most impact across the most games.

#46 Posted by supermonkey122 (815 posts) -

Snake

#47 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

Jumping in with the typical answer. It's obviously Metal Gear.

Just like that guy called Halo in the Spartan suit on those Halo games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.