Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

I play old games (Metal Gear Solid)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's finally time for us to reach the long, arduous, and drawn out conclusion to my Metal Gear Solid 1-3 review blog thingies. Obviously today we are going to look at Metal Gear Solid 1 (released in 1998 for the PS1), because that one was the hardest to play and therefore the last one I finished despite being the first in the series. Here are my MGS2 and MGS3 Reviews for those who missed them, but enough of that, on to the criticism!

The story of Metal Gear Solid isn't nearly as batshit crazy as that of MGS2 or even MGS3. What it is however, is a somewhat predictable (now at least. In 1998 I'm sure

This is actually the box art I got with the MGS Essentials collection
    it was mindblowing, but I was too busy sucking at Ocarina of Time to care at that point) affair that raised the bar for how game stories are told. Obviously I had been spoilerized before playing the game, but it's painfully obvious now that Master Miller is really Liquid and Naomi Hunter is out to get you for some wrong you may or may not have committed. However, the cutscene quality for that time period is excellent as is the voice acting (Although I find Mei Ling's voice to be borderline racially offensive, and Otacon is still annoying). Let me just tell it straight at this point. You already know the story and how it ends. All that really matters for this blog is my opinion, and I would say that while it is still great as far as the low standards of video games go, it isn't a giant upraised middle finger or a weird period piece like the other two games, which rates it lower in my book. Also, since I don't have any other game data on my PS1 memory card there is no Psycho Mantis telling me that I like Castlevania or Suikoden. :(

As for the gameplay... Remember how I said that the stealth in Metal Gear Solid 2 was both clunky and gamey as hell? Well MGS 1 is worse. First and most obviously is the lack of the first person aim, which means I can't cheese my way through by head-shotting everyone with a tranquilizer pistol. Then we can talk about how Snake has a tiny health bar that gets bigger after boss fights, but it doesn't really matter because if you get spotted you are good as dead. In other words, Metal Gear Solid is very much a 1998 game and I would rather play The Twin Snakes (heresy I know) because that game is pretty much a MGS2 total conversion mod for MGS1 and therefore adds all the stuff that made those games bearable. 

In conclusion (this is a short one), I found Metal Gear Solid to be difficult to play through. There are certain elements that really irk me, and while I enjoyed the story, I enjoyed the PS2 games' stories a lot more. While this certainly is excusable when you consider both the console it was on and the time it came out, as well as the impact of what it has done for video games in general, I personally wouldn't play it again since I lack nostalgia for it. I would play Twin Snakes. 

Next Up: I don't know at this point. Mass Effect 2 is coming out next week and that will probably take me a while to finish. Maybe I will do a feature on all the games that I didn't finish like Fallout 2 and Disgaea. Then again, I do have that copy of Jade Empire that I have played for a total of 10 minutes... Hmmm....
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's finally time for us to reach the long, arduous, and drawn out conclusion to my Metal Gear Solid 1-3 review blog thingies. Obviously today we are going to look at Metal Gear Solid 1 (released in 1998 for the PS1), because that one was the hardest to play and therefore the last one I finished despite being the first in the series. Here are my MGS2 and MGS3 Reviews for those who missed them, but enough of that, on to the criticism!

The story of Metal Gear Solid isn't nearly as batshit crazy as that of MGS2 or even MGS3. What it is however, is a somewhat predictable (now at least. In 1998 I'm sure

it was mindblowing, but I was too busy sucking at Ocarina of Time to care at that point) affair that raised the bar for how game stories are told. Obviously I had been spoilerized before playing the game, but it's painfully obvious now that Master Miller is really Liquid and Naomi Hunter is out to get you for some wrong you may or may not have committed. However, the cutscene quality for that time period is excellent as is the voice acting (Although I find Mei Ling's voice to be borderline racially offensive, and Otacon is still annoying). Let me just tell it straight at this point. You already know the story and how it ends. All that really matters for this blog is my opinion, and I would say that while it is still great as far as the low standards of video games go, it isn't a giant upraised middle finger or a weird period piece like the other two games, which rates it lower in my book. Also, since I don't have any other game data on my PS1 memory card there is no Psycho Mantis telling me that I like Castlevania or Suikoden. :(

As for the gameplay... Remember how I said that the stealth in Metal Gear Solid 2 was both clunky and gamey as hell? Well MGS 1 is worse. First and most obviously is the lack of the first person aim, which means I can't cheese my way through by head-shotting everyone with a tranquilizer pistol. Then we can talk about how Snake has a tiny health bar that gets bigger after boss fights, but it doesn't really matter because if you get spotted you are good as dead. In other words, Metal Gear Solid is very much a 1998 game and I would rather play The Twin Snakes (heresy I know) because that game is pretty much a MGS2 total conversion mod for MGS1 and therefore adds all the stuff that made those games bearable. 

In conclusion (this is a short one), I found Metal Gear Solid to be difficult to play through. There are certain elements that really irk me, and while I enjoyed the story, I enjoyed the PS2 games' stories a lot more. While this certainly is excusable when you consider both the console it was on and the time it came out, as well as the impact of what it has done for video games in general, I personally wouldn't play it again since I lack nostalgia for it. I would play Twin Snakes. 

Next Up: I don't know at this point. Mass Effect 2 is coming out next week and that will probably take me a while to finish. Maybe I will do a feature on all the games that I didn't finish like Fallout 2 and Disgaea. Then again, I do have that copy of Jade Empire that I have played for a total of 10 minutes... Hmmm....
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I never finished the original MGS on the PlayStation. I got further along in the remake Twin Snakes. Actually, as much as I liked the Metal Gear franchise, I've never finished any of them.

NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks

MGS1 is the best one :( I completed it on extreme when I was like 9 o.o :D

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

Just because Mei Ling had an accent it's offensive? What kind of accent was she supposed to have? Indian?

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By L33tfella_H

The original Metal Gear Solid is one of my favourite games of all time, and this is a hard decision, and some people will disagree, but i belive this is the best of the series with 3 closely following.

Sure there are mechanics that probably don't work too good for the new generation. I played Twin Snakes AFTER playing the original, and it just doesn't feel the same, if you think the plot for that game is super cliché now, just imagine it with 60% more bullet time and snake dodging giant fucking rocks, or maybe jumping on MISSLES. 

for all the crazy shit that happens in the original MGS (a man who can disguise as any person and goes so far as to drain his own blood for theirs, a cyborg ninja and let's not forget a psychic who can float, read your mind and your memory card. Also, giant fucking mech with nuclear launch capability), it never gets AS over the top as Twin Snakes makes it appear. At some point, the only benefit the developers saw from re-imagining MGS with newer tech, was the ability to make him look like Dante from DMC.

Now i never played MGS when it first came out, hell, i played it in 2006 and finished it for the first time then (i had by that point finished MGS2 though) It's a game that tried to be like a hollywood action movie, from top notch presentation to voice acting that wasn't cringeworthy, setpieces every 15 or so minutes. Now MGS isn't the longest game either, for a 2 Disc game, i've managed to finish that game in 2 hours and 29 minutes. But that was on my 3rd run, so i guess by then i knew all the tricks that game had up it's sleeve.

Overall, maybe going in reverse order wasn't the best decision to make, or maybe you really don't see what other's see in the original (wheter it just be nostalgia or anything else), but that first MGS is a pinnacle for what a game could be at the time, and it also at the same time doesn't forget that it's a game at the same time, which some people like and some people don't like (there are people who like MGS for the gameplay, for the story, or both).

Also, do you really prefer the Mei-Ling from Twin Snakes over the Mei-Ling from the original?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

So, you like to play Castlevania? No? What the hell's wrong with you? It's a good game, and this is totally not an in-game advertisement.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @L33tfella_H: Yeah, I must admit that going in reverse order probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but remember that my Metal Gear Solid experience began with Twin Snakes (which I got a few years ago), which already makes me a heathen in the eyes of the Metal Gear fan community. Basically the main point of this blog thing is that while I can appreciate Metal Gear Solid 1 from both a "what this did to games as a whole" and a "This game came out in 1998" level, on a pure entertainment level it isn't quite as good as the other two games. Perhaps I am being nitpicky, but I don't have the nostalgia to hold me up, which is why I prefer The Twin Snakes. I hope you understand.

@LiquidPrince: I said borderline offensive. Meaning that it sounded a little too cartoony for my ears, which I found to clash with the otherwise serious tone of the game. I dealt with it, but it obviously irritated me enough to mention it in my post. Maybe if it was a little more... repressed? I don't know.

@Video_Game_King: I do like to play Castlevania. Sadly Psycho Mantis has been shown to be unable to read hard drives, which is why he didn't notice it on my Xbox 360.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

i dont see how Mei Ling's voice is offensive.  I have heard a worse accent on my co workers who are actually from china.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By wwfundertaker

MGS is my all time favourite out of all Metal Gear games.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Cerza

The great tragedy of that era is that it hasn't aged well in any regard and it's games are almost universally unplayable today. Games from the late 90's were a stepping stone and nothing more. That said you really had to be there to appreciate them. MGS1 was amazing when it came out. I remember getting it for Christmas in 98 and being so blown away I played through it 4 times. Twin Snakes was alright, but it didn't feel the same. It lacked the dirty gritty feel of the original release. It was too clean. I don't follow you with Mei Ling being borderline offensive. I thought she was fine.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @ArbitraryWater: 

So, you like to hide information from me. Nobody hides information from P-*gets force killed by Darth Vader*

I'm guessing it was because there could only be one gas-mask-wearing mind reader around.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Video_Game_King: It's also a reference to how when you encounter Mantis in MGS4 he has trouble reading your hard drive (and making your controller rumble if you have a sixaxis instead of a dualshock).

@Cerza: I can agree with you there, although I find that Ocarina of Time is still playable for the most part (although it might just be the nostalgia talking). Of course that has more to do with how far the Zelda franchise has progressed since that point than the actual content of the game...
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @ArbitraryWater: 

I don't own a PS3, so I wouldn't know that. I'd get one, but I don't have anywhere near the money needed to get it and the games I'd probably get for it.
    therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By therabidfrog

Man I just played that game for the first time this year, and I dropped just short of despising it. The story was so over wrought and insanely dumb. It was more like a mini game collection set to a mellow drama written by a mentally ill child. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.