Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Metal Gear Solid: Finale (some spoilers...

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By sagesebas

...but hey I'm probably the last person to play this game, right?)

Yeah I fell my first time through this part 

So after taking a break from playing Metal Gear Solid and getting engrossed in Minecraft, I finally finished Metal Gear Solid. What a great game; my playtime clocked in around 13 hours, I think I left it on sitting for maybe an hour or so. The boss battles were great, they never felt frustratingly hard, yet they were challenging and took me a few tries to get, maybe that's because I was playing on easy, but I felt that the difficulty for me was just right. The stealth was fun as well, although I probably did a bit more killing than is normal. Whenever I hear about a stealth game there is an inevitable groan that follows, maybe this is due to me playing the early Splinter Cell games, where you lose once you are spotted. I feel like the system implemented in this game is highly effective, the two timers allow you the opportunity to still continue once you get spotted but definitely makes the game more challenging.  

Sneakin my way through, well kinda     

The story in the game was great as well, and how it unfolds in the last few hours is particularly interesting, with Master being Liquid, and Gray Fox being Deepthroat, which was a particularly awesome moment for me, and worthy of a fist pump. The themes in the game are also really interesting, Nuclear war, DNA, and fate determined by genetics. All something at the time that wasn't explored much in videogames. Also the auteur approach to videogames must have been at the time very new, and still is something that isn't explored too much even today, besides people like Will Wright, Sid Meyer, and Ken Levine. Overall it was a great game, the pacing felt right, characters were strong, and the cutscenes never seemed pretentious, or overtly long. I very much look forward to the rest of the series.  

Pretty hot chick right? Wait that's a dude, damn.  And yes I know who the main protagonist of MGS2 is.
          Pretty hot chick right? Wait that's a dude, damn.  And yes I know who the main protagonist of MGS2 is.

Stay tuned for the start of my Sons of Liberty blog, which I will most likely start after around two hours into that game. 
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sagesebas

...but hey I'm probably the last person to play this game, right?)

So after taking a break from playing Metal Gear Solid and getting engrossed in Minecraft, I finally finished Metal Gear Solid. What a great game; my playtime clocked in around 13 hours, I think I left it on sitting for maybe an hour or so. The boss battles were great, they never felt frustratingly hard, yet they were challenging and took me a few tries to get, maybe that's because I was playing on easy, but I felt that the difficulty for me was just right. The stealth was fun as well, although I probably did a bit more killing than is normal. Whenever I hear about a stealth game there is an inevitable groan that follows, maybe this is due to me playing the early Splinter Cell games, where you lose once you are spotted. I feel like the system implemented in this game is highly effective, the two timers allow you the opportunity to still continue once you get spotted but definitely makes the game more challenging.  

The story in the game was great as well, and how it unfolds in the last few hours is particularly interesting, with Master being Liquid, and Gray Fox being Deepthroat, which was a particularly awesome moment for me, and worthy of a fist pump. The themes in the game are also really interesting, Nuclear war, DNA, and fate determined by genetics. All something at the time that wasn't explored much in videogames. Also the auteur approach to videogames must have been at the time very new, and still is something that isn't explored too much even today, besides people like Will Wright, Sid Meyer, and Ken Levine. Overall it was a great game, the pacing felt right, characters were strong, and the cutscenes never seemed pretentious, or overtly long. I very much look forward to the rest of the series.  

Stay tuned for the start of my Sons of Liberty blog, which I will most likely start after around two hours into that game. 
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By ReyGitano

When my cousin first got this game, opened that manual, and saw Raiden, he said "cool, I get to play as a hot chick"... we don't bring it up anymore.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sagesebas
    @SlashseveN303: That isn't even bad, I had gone weeks thinking Rising starred a hot chick, and then I learned I was wrong, very wrong.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sagesebas

If anyone has suggestions or tips on whats to come in the next game or your own experience with this fine game, that'd be greatly appreciated. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @sagesebas said:

" If anyone has suggestions or tips on whats to come in the next game or your own experience with this fine game, that'd be greatly appreciated.  "

Make sure you have a lot of time to play that game.  I remember the cutscenes being longer than the first but it's hard to remember. 

Lets see what else I remember
    There be spoilers

I may have gotten these wrong since it's been a while.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Gabriel

I always play through the metal gear games killing people, Tranqing people doesn't interest me.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By yoctoyotta

Hey, right on man, I agree, MGS is still a brilliant game despite its age. I played through it again not to long ago after having played it around the time it originally was released. I remembered loving it back in the day, but figured my fond memories of the mostly isometric game play were clouded by the decade that had passed. It was really a delight to see it's still an awesome game to play through with a story that seems crystal clear in comparison to the continued MGS2/4 saga.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jasta
    @sagesebas said:
    " If anyone has suggestions or tips on whats to come in the next game or your own experience with this fine game, that'd be greatly appreciated.  "
    If there are things in any of the games that you did not understand, its all explained in MGS4 with the greatest of detail. Make sure you have plenty time to play it, because alot of cutscenes are 15 -30 minutes long and the things you may have heard about the ending being over an hour long are entirely true.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sagesebas

Cool thanks alot, I still haven't started it cause I got a little busy but, from what I've heard MGS1 and MGS3 are more singular stories while two and four branch out and create more of a mythos if that's right.  

Also I never got the silencer. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sagesebas said:
    " Cool thanks alot, I still haven't started it cause I got a little busy but, from what I've heard MGS1 and MGS3 are more singular stories while two and four branch out and create more of a mythos if that's right.   Also I never got the silencer.  "
    I did this a few months ago (played through all of them for the first time [cept 4, which I had already played through twice]).  MGS1 is hardest to beat, MGS2 is least favorite storywise, but definite step up gameplay wise, MGS3 is fucking amazing, great story +semi-modern gameplay (best theme song EVER), MGS4 is a masterpiece.  They go up in quality as far as I am concerned.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By j_drace

MGS is probably the best single player franchise in the history of gaming.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By wrighteous86
    @SethPhotopoulos: There is a razor in MGS2?  Mind blown.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By schizogony

OP's favorite adjective: "great"

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sagesebas
    @schizogony: I wrote this very casually so, I'll try to tone down my overuse of certain adjectives.  

EDIT Not being sarcastic, and rereading it, it does come up a lot, and is slightly funny

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.