Possible real-world connection here?

#1 Posted by indieslaw (333 posts) -

I was just browsing around wikipedia, and I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKNAOMI

MKNAOMI was the code name for a joint Department of Defense/CIA research program lasting from the 1950s through the 1970s. Unclassified information about the MKNAOMI program and the related Special Operations Division is scarce. It is generally reported to be a successor to the MKDELTA project and to have focused on biological projects including biological warfare agents—specifically, to store materials that could either incapacitate or kill a test subject and to develop devices for the diffusion of such materials

So, MK is a designation for the department where this project was run. That leaves, for this biological weapons research, NAOMI.

Given Naomi's role in the MG fiction (medical support, creator of FOXDIE) do you think this is a coincidence, or an intentional connection? I just came across this, thought it was interesting.

#2 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

not to mention if you rearrange the letters in MKNAOMI, you get KONAMI!... minus one m. goddamnit CIA.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10484 posts) -

The Metal Gear games are filled with all sorts of weird things like this, so yes, it's probably completely intentional.

#4 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

@videorob: You do know that practically everything in Metal Gear is tied in with historical fact, right?

For example, the GW virus by the Patriots is named after George Washington, one of America's FIRST patriots!

But seriously, it probably could be intentional. Who knows.

#5 Posted by indieslaw (333 posts) -

@killacam: DUDE!!!

@Wrighteous86: Yeah, sure, its part of why I love that series. I just thought it was interesting to stumble across this one. I don't think I've ever heard it discussed before.

Relatedly, the CIA in the 50s and 60s was messed up man. I came across this stuff because I saw the word MKULTRA and thought it was a Mortal Kombat thing, lol. (it isn't)

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

If you go to the CIA main computer and input the Konami code it turns into a transformer and attacks Canada. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.