Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Running the MGS gauntlet

XCell9200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By XCell9200

Yes, I'm going to do it. At least I think I am. I downloaded the original Metal Gear Solid on the PSN and played through it over the last couple days, and now I think I'm going to play through 2 and 3 before buying 4 for my new ps3.

I forgot how much I like the story in these games. I also forgot how much harder the original MGS is than the second one, which I've already played to completion three or four times. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I've never touched Snake Eater, despite owning it for quite a long time.

I've finished #1, so I guess I may as well give my opinion. Truthfully, the game hasn't aged well in a lot of places. The aiming is just fucking terrible. Without being able to look down a gun sight in first person view, its really hard to gain any sort of advantage in a firefight. Since you're regularly put up against 3 or 4 opponents in confined locations (especially elevators), it really feels unfair at certain points. And what's with the gun attached to the jeep during the escape at the end of the game? Could that thing possibly swivel any slower as I get torn to pieces? Another bad memory that this playthrough brought to light was when I deliberately chose a particular weapon and then somehow was given a different one. There were too many times when I selected (dude, I fucking selected) the machine gun, and the game would change it to a grenade, or some C4, or pretty much anything other than what I wanted. It's a really annoying glitch, and makes the game feel clunky. Finally, the backtracking is such a bitch. The whole game feels like one step forward and two steps back, even at the end. I realize that the game was originally put out on CD ROMs and backtracking may be a necessary evil to conserve disc space, but honestly, taking 15 minutes to backtrack to find a sniper rifle, or to heat up / cool down a keycard isn't fun. Oh, and I should get the cooler bonus (the stealth suit) for saving the chick, not for letting her die. Infinite ammo does significantly less for me in a game where I'm supposed to avoid combat.

As for strong points, well, you know them. The story was pretty epic for the time, even though there are far too many cheesy and overly dramatic lines. The graphics are still serviceable even today, excluding the character models. And of course there's the great feel of a Metal Gear Solid game, where the tension is always high and you find yourself gripping the controller a little too tightly without realizing it. I thoroughly enjoyed playing through this game again, but I'm glad to be moving on. I probably won't revisit this one again down the road. Oh, and for my trouble, the game gave me the codename "Elephant" at the scoring screen at the end.

XCell9200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By XCell9200

Yes, I'm going to do it. At least I think I am. I downloaded the original Metal Gear Solid on the PSN and played through it over the last couple days, and now I think I'm going to play through 2 and 3 before buying 4 for my new ps3.

I forgot how much I like the story in these games. I also forgot how much harder the original MGS is than the second one, which I've already played to completion three or four times. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I've never touched Snake Eater, despite owning it for quite a long time.

I've finished #1, so I guess I may as well give my opinion. Truthfully, the game hasn't aged well in a lot of places. The aiming is just fucking terrible. Without being able to look down a gun sight in first person view, its really hard to gain any sort of advantage in a firefight. Since you're regularly put up against 3 or 4 opponents in confined locations (especially elevators), it really feels unfair at certain points. And what's with the gun attached to the jeep during the escape at the end of the game? Could that thing possibly swivel any slower as I get torn to pieces? Another bad memory that this playthrough brought to light was when I deliberately chose a particular weapon and then somehow was given a different one. There were too many times when I selected (dude, I fucking selected) the machine gun, and the game would change it to a grenade, or some C4, or pretty much anything other than what I wanted. It's a really annoying glitch, and makes the game feel clunky. Finally, the backtracking is such a bitch. The whole game feels like one step forward and two steps back, even at the end. I realize that the game was originally put out on CD ROMs and backtracking may be a necessary evil to conserve disc space, but honestly, taking 15 minutes to backtrack to find a sniper rifle, or to heat up / cool down a keycard isn't fun. Oh, and I should get the cooler bonus (the stealth suit) for saving the chick, not for letting her die. Infinite ammo does significantly less for me in a game where I'm supposed to avoid combat.

As for strong points, well, you know them. The story was pretty epic for the time, even though there are far too many cheesy and overly dramatic lines. The graphics are still serviceable even today, excluding the character models. And of course there's the great feel of a Metal Gear Solid game, where the tension is always high and you find yourself gripping the controller a little too tightly without realizing it. I thoroughly enjoyed playing through this game again, but I'm glad to be moving on. I probably won't revisit this one again down the road. Oh, and for my trouble, the game gave me the codename "Elephant" at the scoring screen at the end.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By badsmalltalker

Good luck! Although if you've never played MGS2 before, prepare yourself.  Its a total mindfuck.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I've never played more than an hour or two of any metal gear game. I want to play the original now as well.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

As I recall, there isn't a "stealth suit," at least not any more than what Snake is wearing to begin with.  After you beat the game three times, getting both the stealth camo and the bandanna, there are significant costume changes.  Snake sports a Bond-like Tux, Meryl gets Snake's original sneaking suit, and Grey Fox's exoskeleton is different colors (Red and Blue, i think).   

Anyway's have fun playing through MGS 3, it's pretty awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.