Anyone read the book?

#1 Posted by Evil_Alaska (294 posts) -

I was wondering if anyone had read the english version of the book, and if so is it worth tracking down?

#2 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

I've gotten my copy but I haven't read it yet. It's been collecting dust lately. I've heard it's really good - probably the reason why it's a hit in Russia.

#3 Posted by NukePuke (31 posts) -

I didn't know there was a version in english.

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

I haven't read it myself, but I've heard that the translation is pretty poor. 

#5 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" I haven't read it myself, but I've heard that the translation is pretty poor.  "
That's a shame, I was hoping to pick it up this summer.
#6 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

I've had a look at it, the translation isn't good. I haven't read far enough to determine whether the setting/plot/characters make up for it or not, but I'll look into it.

#7 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

It was a good read but there's not a whole lot of talking between characters, Artyom is alone a lot of the time, the book also spends a lot of time telling stories and trying to build the atmosphere. Honestly the translation was decent enough, can't recall any point where it was an issue. If you enjoyed the games story I would recommend picking it up, it expands it a lot.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

People said the witcher books were translated poorly but I still enjoyed them... still can't find a copy that's not 20 bucks though, so I need to wait a while

#9 Posted by BurningVegas (22 posts) -

Where did you all get the English version of the book from? I have the German translated version of the book and was looking for an English version to read and compare translation qualities. All of the Barnes and Nobles around me do not carry it and most of the online prices I have found are rather expensive. Any suggestions are appreciated.
#10 Posted by Driadon (3012 posts) -

I read it and enjoyed it greatly. There's a few oddities with the translation, but if you have a basic understanding of how most Slavic languages are structured, and see what they did in an attempt to mimic the rhythm, it makes sense.

@BurningVegas: I'm not quite sure where you're located, but I found it for not a bad price on the U.S., Canadian, and UK Amazon stores. It also seems that a new print of it just got sent out April 11th, so your shortage could be because that is on it's way.
#11 Posted by BurningVegas (22 posts) -

@Driadon: I had looked on Amazon some time ago, but I was not willing to pay their price. At the time used copies where over $30/ I found a little used book store a few towns over from me and they are going to order me a copy for $16. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#12 Posted by sup909 (159 posts) -

@Driadon said:

I read it and enjoyed it greatly. There's a few oddities with the translation, but if you have a basic understanding of how most Slavic languages are structured, and see what they did in an attempt to mimic the rhythm, it makes sense.
@BurningVegas: I'm not quite sure where you're located, but I found it for not a bad price on the U.S., Canadian, and UK Amazon stores. It also seems that a new print of it just got sent out April 11th, so your shortage could be because that is on it's way.

The Kindle version is also a very reasonable $9.39

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.