Destructoid won't even finish it.

• 103 results
#1 Posted by gike987 (1770 posts) -
http://www.destructoid.com/not-review-metro-2033-168418.phtml

Jim Sterling made this post in the comment section:
" If Anthony had used the knife next, he'd have died even quicker.
This game is horrendously broken. If anything, ending where Anthony did and not putting a score on was a mercy to the game. This is kinder than 4A Games even deserves. "

So is the shooting mechanics that broken or is it just Destructoid trolling again?
#2 Posted by xyzygy (10065 posts) -

From everyone I heard the game is smooth and works great. Also, it's not a shooter in the same way that MW2 and BC2 are - it's more like Bioshock. Story driven.

#3 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Who cares? Destructoid sucks.

#4 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -

Really liked the game. Shooting felt fine, maybe a little slow but it seemed to pack weight to it...makes it feel like every shot counts.
#5 Posted by SteveV (182 posts) -

Destructoid has kinda fallen apart lately. Seems the community over there are getting fed up with the bullshit articles they write, and the constant "defense-posts".

#6 Posted by Hamst3r (4554 posts) -

I've gotten pretty far in the game and it's quite good. :P

#7 Posted by Allprox (554 posts) -

I don't see a problem here. If he didn't finish it and then reviewed then I could understand the problem, but he has admitted that he didn't finish it and so he's not going to review it. He clearly didn't like the game and so stopped playing it. Would you force Jeff or Brad to review a game they didn't like and then ridicule them for not liking it. It's better this way than the alternative.

#8 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" Who cares? Destructoid sucks. "
Exactly. If I wanted the opinion of a bunch of twats, I'd start reading The Daily Mail.
#9 Posted by gike987 (1770 posts) -
@Noodlearms said:
" Really liked the game. Shooting felt fine, maybe a little slow but it seemed to pack weight to it...makes it feel like every shot counts. "
Sounds good. I don't like the unnaturally accurate weapons in arcade shooters as much as more realistic ones. But I don't want them to go over the top with bullet sponges and weapons unable to hit a wall.
#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" From everyone I heard the game is smooth and works great. Also, it's not a shooter in the same way that MW2 and BC2 are - it's more like Bioshock. Story driven. "
Only issues ive heard about are dumb AI and some crappy textures on the 360 versions (When outside. Inside looks real nice) Other then that. It just sounds like the reviewer did not wanna finish the game so just posted that in his defense. 
#11 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

From the Quick Look Giant Bomb did the console version of the game seemed to have horrid screen tearing issues. But the PC version seems to be playable from what I gather.

Just more Destructoid trash ;)

#12 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

All they want are page views.  They're basicallly all children over there.  I've never heard of a rational reaction coming from destructoid on anything.
#13 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

ive played about 4 hour. The shooting isnt as sharp as COD etc but its accurate enough. I think alot of the complaints about the feel of the shooting come from the fact that enemies soak up quite a few bullets. This is something that is caused by the game having to make normal ammo less effective than the pristine ammo in the game. I found when i played about using the pristine ammo the shooting immediately felt alot sharper. 

All in all though destructoids stance is ridiculous the shooting is no where near bad enough to take that stance and the atmosphere/story makes up for the shortfall in the shooting

#14 Edited by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -
@Allprox said:

" I don't see a problem here. If he didn't finish it and then reviewed then I could understand the problem, but he has admitted that he didn't finish it and so he's not going to review it. He clearly didn't like the game and so stopped playing it. Would you force Jeff or Brad to review a game they didn't like and then ridicule them for not liking it. It's better this way than the alternative. "

Perhaps the route Ryan should've taken with Dante's Inferno?

Regardless, too many good reviews, real ones, for me to worry about what Sterling thinks.
#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

Destructoid just trolls. They saw how many clicks per day Kotaku has from mistranslating shit, so they removed the leash from Sterling. If Kotaku can be an attention whore, Destructoid totally can too.

#16 Posted by Bane (439 posts) -

Never been to Destructoid before reading this "not review" so their opinion ranks who cares/10.  It's good to know I haven't been missing anything though.

#17 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

Anthony Burch wrote that article. Anthony Burch is a self righteous, indie-gaming obsessed, bitch.  Just look at his horrible horrible rev rants where he criticizes major releases like mass effect 2 and acts like he is the first person in the world to come up with certain game design ideas.  He likes to do that thing that Leigh Alexander also does (infamous annoying Bombcast lady) where they primarily comment on the metaphysics and psychology of gaming and not about gameplay or whether games are actually fun. In short you should ignore everything Mr. Burch says.

#18 Posted by FirePrince (1765 posts) -

"There's a right way to play Metro 2033, presumably, but I honestly have no idea what it is. Other reviewers seem to have found a way to enjoy the game, but I'm at a loss. I want to like Metro 2033, and I want to understand how I'm supposed to play it, but I can't.    " 
Use the buttons on the controller,moron.Destructoid can somethimes be so annoying.
#19 Posted by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

I always felt like game reviewers should be good at games.

#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@gike987: Trolling.
#21 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

If you watch the Quick Look, Dave used a shotgun at close range and the guy didn't flinch. I haven't played the game, but I did find that odd. I read Destructiod and like some of their articles. Giant Bomb wasn't working properly one day and I created an account there, but I've never posted. I don't have a problem with someone stating they quit the game and will not review it.

#22 Posted by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @nanikore said:
" Who cares? Destructoid sucks. "
Exactly. If I wanted the opinion of a bunch of twats, I'd start reading The Daily Mail. "
You got that right.
#23 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -

The game is too hard for him, I guess. I kinda laughed at his "approach" to the situation he outlined. He was going to sneak up on a guy, then shoot him with one of the loudest guns in the game? Why? So that he could attract the attention of the group of bandits he mentioned, and expect to be able to wipe them out single-handedly? What I gather from it is that he's being asked to think too much about how to play the game and feeling a little butthurt that the game won't hold his hand every step of the way.

As for running out of ammo: I finished the game with about 80 bullets in my assault rifle, only a clip in my pistol, a handful of shotgun shells, 5 throwing knives and 8 explosives (grenades and sticky grenades). However, I also had conserved nearly all my military grade ammo (had at least a couple of hundred bullets at the end - I think more than 500), because you find plenty of good weapons in the game that you aren't really forced to buy any.

#24 Posted by Metal_Mills (3033 posts) -

They gave AvP a 9/10 and that game had borderline broken controls and melee combat.

#25 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

Metro 2033 might be the best game I've played this year.

#26 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

So why did this have to be a thread over here at Giant Bomb?

#27 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" They gave AvP a 9/10 and that game had borderline broken controls and melee combat. "
Really?  Damn, I love the AvP game but it does not deserve more than a 7, an 8 if you're being really generous.

Anyways, on topic:  It sounds like this dude is pretty bad at shooters that don't hold his hand, why would he use stealth with a loud ass assault rifle?

I'm really looking forward to the game.  I love STALKER but it seems a little too open-world for its own good.  The open-worldy-ness to it kind of detracts from the game when you have to spend 30 minutes traveling empty terrain.  So if Metro 2033 is a lot like STALKER, but pretty linear (kind of wish it was open world, but not much empty terrain,but meh), I think I would definitely enjoy it.  It's too bad that I don't have the money to get it right now :(  Hopefully Gamefly sends it my way.
#28 Posted by Cirdain (3111 posts) -

BS the reviewer is just awful at playing the game I'm playing on hardcore and it's not that hard.

#29 Posted by Milkman (17193 posts) -

Further extending the joke that is Destructoid. Pathetic.

#30 Posted by JoshLarson (68 posts) -

I wish I could say to my boss "yeah, I'm not really feeling this assignment so I won't be completing it". Life would be much simpler then.
#31 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Dude sucks.

#32 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
#33 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -
#34 Posted by RAD5brandon (14 posts) -

DESTRUCTOID SUCKS DESTRUCTOID SUCKS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

#35 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Destructoid is retarded. "
All I see is angry nerds getting mad at someone for saying it would be cool if Travis Touchdown was L4D2.
#36 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

I love the irony of so many of the posts in this thread. Elitists bashing elitists for being elitist. GB is so much better because our posters aren't self-righteous pricks who think they're better than everyone else. Oh wait.

I realize that perpetuating hate can be somehow therapeutic on the Internet, but seriously, get over yourselves.

#37 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Destructoid, and Jim Sterling, are a ridiculous publication. They try to make "fun" of the hate they get, and come off innocent -- even though they purposely troll every game that has generated any semblance of interest.

EDIT: Also didn't they score Assassin's Creed II a 5/10? All opinion aside, ACII is a better game than "average".

#38 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@hinderk said:

" @TheMustacheHero said:

All I see is angry nerds getting mad at someone for saying it would be cool if Travis Touchdown was L4D2. "
No, he suggested that Valve puts a community made mod, that uses characters from a different genre and franchise ON THE 360. 
THAT IS RETARDED!
#39 Edited by RAD5brandon (14 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:

" Destructoid, and Jim Sterling, are a ridiculous publication. They try to make "fun" of the hate they get, and come off innocent -- even though they purposely troll every game that has generated any semblance of interest.  EDIT: Also didn't they score Assassin's Creed II a 5/10? All opinion aside, ACII is a better game than "average". "

A 4.5. The internet nearly exploded that day
#40 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@SteveVice said:
" Destructoid has kinda fallen apart lately. Seems the community over there are getting fed up with the bullshit articles they write, and the constant "defense-posts". "
Kind of like how people rage on this site every other day because the crew says something they don't agree with?  Welcome to the internet.  You're not on the outside looking in.  You're just spying from across a pond.
#41 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero:  He never said it would happen.He just said it would be cool(and it would).

Also why is ON THE 360 underlined?
#42 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Destructoid is garbage.

#43 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:
"EDIT: Also didn't they score Assassin's Creed II a 5/10? All opinion aside, ACII is a better game than "average". "
I'm so glad people like you get to review games.
#44 Posted by SkyMasterson (33 posts) -

ugh Destructoid, I'm not even gonna go there and give them a page view. They really are attention whores. Sure they have some good articles from time to time but mostly it seems like they love to be on the opposite side of popular opinion, just to get traffic and be hip.
#45 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@hinderk said:
" @TheMustacheHero:  He never said it would happen.He just said it would be cool(and it would).  Also why is ON THE 360 underlined? "
Because it shows emphasis of his stupidity, and if you don't realize how stupid he was for even saying that then you should just drop the discussion because that would mean you're worse than him.
#46 Posted by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -
@hinderk said:
" @TheMustacheHero:  He never said it would happen.He just said it would be cool(and it would).  Also why is ON THE 360 underlined? "
I'm guessing it's a combination of the fact that Valve develops for PC first and foremost, and secondly, NMH is a nintendo game.
#47 Posted by ComixZone (92 posts) -

Eff Destructoid - if they aren't going to put in the effort to properly review something, then they should stop attempting to review anything.

#48 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -
@ThatFrood:  Isn't there a 360 port of NMH?
#49 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
All I see is you and CowMuffins making yourselves look like complete jackasses. 
#50 Posted by Trilogy (2682 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" Anthony Burch wrote that article. Anthony Burch is a self righteous, indie-gaming obsessed, bitch.  Just look at his horrible horrible rev rants where he criticizes major releases like mass effect 2 and acts like he is the first person in the world to come up with certain game design ideas.  He likes to do that thing that Leigh Alexander also does (infamous annoying Bombcast lady) where they primarily comment on the metaphysics and psychology of gaming and not about gameplay or whether games are actually fun. In short you should ignore everything Mr. Burch says. "
You sure know how to sell a guy against someone. I was pretty indifferent on this until I read your post. Sounds like a real dickhead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.