Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Great game, missed potential?

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gosukiller

Just finished the game. I had a great time, I feared for a STALKER clone, I'm happy to say I was wrong. Not to say that the stalker games are bad games per se, but this title does exceed my expectations.
    Now onto the disappointments or rather, missed oppertunities. 

First one will be a minor spoiler, nothing game breaking, but just my complaint with not using a  great concept more.

Secondly, without spoilers, close combat. I have already made a thread about shotguns, so I wont complain about them here. Your alternative are knife attacks. What I would've liked to see were combat moves. Like if I get the drop on somebody, I want to be able to perform a special move, instead of just clicking on the guys head and putting a knife in it. This should apply to Human NPCs and low-health/wounded monsters. I know this is probably a personal gripe, but still worth mentioning.

Third and lastly, the Dark Ones. I'll go into spoiler territory again.

That's pretty much it. I played it on the PC and the game looks awesome. Not Crysis-awesome, but something else entirely. I would not mind playing more horror-games like this. The way they keep you hungry for ammo was very well executed, making me sometimes run blindly to the next small coridor, to escape the hordes of baddies.

Four stars out of Five.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Alphiehyr

That was pretty quick. How long was the game? Were there any side missions?

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gosukiller
    @Alphiehyr said:
    " That was pretty quick. How long was the game? Were there any side missions? "
    No side missions, 100% pure story-driven. Took me about 9-10 hours to get through the game.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @gosukiller said:
    " @Alphiehyr said:
    No side missions, 100% pure story-driven. Took me about 9-10 hours to get through the game. "
    Ive seen some gameplay. I am..well not that impressed. It seems a small step back words from the stalker games..course I loved clear sky. Bugs and all. 
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gosukiller
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @gosukiller said:

" @Alphiehyr said:
    No side missions, 100% pure story-driven. Took me about 9-10 hours to get through the game. "
    Ive seen some gameplay. I am..well not that impressed. It seems a small step back words from the stalker games..course I loved clear sky. Bugs and all.  "
    I'm not the greatest fan of open-world games, so I vastly prefer this over STALKER games. On the same page, when I go outside in this game, it's a bummer. The inside enviroments have a great atmosphere, this is not really the case for the outside.
    I played Call of Pripriat 2 weeks ago from start-to-finish, and the ending really was a real letdown. The ending to this one was refreshingly good. 
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @gosukiller said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @gosukiller said:
    " @Alphiehyr said:
    Ive seen some gameplay. I am..well not that impressed. It seems a small step back words from the stalker games..course I loved clear sky. Bugs and all.  "
    I'm not the greatest fan of open-world games, so I vastly prefer this over STALKER games. On the same page, when I go outside in this game, it's a bummer.  I played Call of Pripriat 2 weeks ago from start-to-finish, and the ending really was a real letdown. The ending to this one was refreshingly good.  "
    I did like how they did the sort of retro weapons. Pumping and what not. The trading of gas masks filters. 
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @gosukiller said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @gosukiller said:
    " @Alphiehyr said:
    I'm not the greatest fan of open-world games, so I vastly prefer this over STALKER games. On the same page, when I go outside in this game, it's a bummer.  I played Call of Pripriat 2 weeks ago from start-to-finish, and the ending really was a real letdown. The ending to this one was refreshingly good.  "
    I did like how they did the sort of retro weapons. Pumping and what not. The trading of gas masks filters.  "

Dmitri: I sell you my filter! Only 12 bullets
    Sergei: Did you cough in it?
    Dmitri: A few times..
    Sergei: Here you go. 
    *2 weeks later*
    *Sergei dies from lunger bacteria disease. Most likely caused by inhaling bacteria from a used filter.* 
    *4 days later*
    *Dmitri outside the station scavenging equipment from the dead*
    Dmitri: Hey! I found my filter. Time to resell it.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @gosukiller:
    the game closely follows the book if you read the book you would know everything about the game. i guess they decided to stick close to the book, the ghosts arent scary at all (just me?), and i also find it alot of fun to jam my knife into a dudes head or throw a knife into it. i guess the your buddy when goin through the catacombs was in the book and they wanted to keep him there in the game yea it kind ruins the fear but whatevs the dude was sick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.