Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Metro 2033 ending? (Spoilers... obviously)

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spaceturtle

Was I the only one who though the ending was really weird? Did I miss something or did we never get an real answer to whom "the dark ones" where? The voice that constantly stopped the action and said all that weird stuff, what was that all about? Just an effect to create a creepy atmosphere perhaps? 

Also, I loved the game, but the ending really didn't deliver the "epic-ending" it was building up to, I think. Any thoughts on this?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Nothing will ever live up to your expectations, after all you are a fucking SPACE TURTLE HOLY SHIT. 

I ain't played it, but I'm tempted to pick it up.

Sankis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sankis

There's an alternate ending. I'm not entirely sure how to get it as I haven't gone for it yet, but I have a feeling it explains them a tiny bit more. I'm not 100%, though.

Plus, it's also based on a book. Assuming it's mentioned there, they may not have wanted to give everything out in the other project.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Baillie:
    You should pick it up! The best game I've played so far this year.

@Sankis:
    Sounds awesome! I hope you're right cause like I've said already, the ending does not do it for me. Sometimes its cool that some info is left out at the end to create a mystery around the story. But in Metro's case there is just too much missing, you know. At least thats how I feel about it.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88

I got the option for two endings when I got to the final part at the top of the tower. I don't know how it works for people who only got the one ending (missiles wipe out mutants and dark ones?), but I was standing on the top of the tower with my gun after shooting the alien in the weird dream world thingy, and had the option to either let the missile thing play out, or shoot the guidance laser thing off the tower, saving the dark ones as the voice over implies you should do. The guidance system lands beside a dark one standing at the foot of the tower and there's a little bit more conclusion to the story, but not much - you don't really find out any more about the nature of the dark ones or anything like that, you just realise you've done the right thing and Artyom concludes that the visions he was having were the dark ones trying to reach out to humanity. 

I personally liked the ending. The atmosphere and creepiness of the game itself was the center point of the game for me, not so much the mystery surrounding the dark ones.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FirePrince

I was dissapointed. 
    Dark Ones:We want to learn about you as much as you want to learn about us.Join us.Join us in the next step in evolution.We are not the enemy. 
    Humans:CHAERG!DESTROY ALL!!!!11!!!! 

Seriously,I thought that Artyom would join them anD become a Dark One.Or that the humans would embrace the evolution.They wanted to help Artyom,and never to hurt him.Yet he was the one who nuked them.Oh god.
    Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bane

I don't understand why, if the Dark Ones were truly interested in learning and peace, they attempt to KILL ME whenever we come into contact.  Why you gotta be like that?  Maybe if you tried to explain yourselves a little more instead of going for the jugular we wouldn't be attempting to missile your hole in the ground.  I was hoping to learn more after stopping the missiles, but no and to that end the ending was fairly anti-climactic.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FirePrince

@Bane:
    They never actually hurt you.Notice that they only stun you in the game.The pretty much madden or kill the others,but you are never attacked by one.I was hoping that Artyom was a link to peace with the Dark Ones.Nukes aren't peace.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bane
    @FirePrince: Yeah, that's true.  I was thinking of the end where if it catches you, you fall off the tower.  Even then they don't hurt me directly, though they must know what will happen after they stun me.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By pwnasaurus

cause all you guys fucked up :) gotta be a nice guy is all i'm saying get enlightened
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spaceturtle

I just thought of something... This might be stupid thou. But if there are different endings, maybe at the end, when your running through that labyrinth and those other places you are being chased by what I assume is a "dark one", right?. Instead of running from it, perhaps something different will happen if you run towards it? I will try it out. Again, that might just be stupid...

DTKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DTKT

So, did anyone manage to get the good ending?

If so, could you upload your files somewhere? I really want to have them! :D

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By borodin

I really liked the ending! I got the "bad" ending but I like how the game doesn't really represent it like good/bad, and also I was totally aware of what I was doing, if I'd wanted to know more about the dark ones or give them a chance I wouldn't have run away from them constantly in the psychic (or whatever) scenes, I wouldn't have shot that one at the end and I wouldn't have let the nukes land.  

But yeah I loved every minute of that game and I'm pretty tempted to jump back in again some time soon!

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bane

If you run toward the Dark One in the labyrinth - you die.  I tried it.

I've seen a list of about a dozen opportunities throughout the game for you to do a good deed.  If you do the good deed the screen will flash and a sound effect will play.  Since I didn't come across this list until after I beat the game I didn't realize at the time what that flash/sound notification was for, but it happened to me several times as I played.  I didn't take advantage of every opportunity, maybe half of them, and I unlocked the good ending.

If you've unlocked the good ending you don't have to end the game that way.  You can choose to go either way and if you reload your game after seeing one you can go the other way and see the other ending without having to play the game again.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fang273

I like the bad ending more than the good one. From what I've heard, the book also ends with the bad ending. Either way, great ending to a great game, definitely in my top 3 so far this year.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Griddler

Here is the alternate ending on Youtube in case anyone still wanted to see it

EDIT: This ending is so much better than the one I got, I had no clue there were two endings. I find it kinda annoying that I missed out on just because I didn't realise I could talk to the hooker, or I missed an audio tape, apparently these things will stop you getting the good ending.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By Cirdain
    @Sankis said:

" There's an alternate ending. I'm not entirely sure how to get it as I haven't gone for it yet, but I have a feeling it explains them a tiny bit more. I'm not 100%, though.  Plus, it's also based on a book. Assuming it's mentioned there, they may not have wanted to give everything out in the other project. "

@SPACETURTLE:
    @girdz:

Here's a list of things you need to do to get this ending:
    1. Chapter 1 Exhibition Station. A man will ask for a couple of bullets to buy some medicine for his son, give him the money.
    2. Chapter 2 Riga Station. There are beggars on the platform and near the prostitute. Give a bullet to at least one of them.
    3. Chapter 2 Market Station. Between the ammo exchange and the bar where Burbon is there will be a poor guy telling a story to a child, give him a bullet.
    4. Chapter 2 Dead City 1. Turn right at the end of the level. You'll find a hideout with a cassette recorder. Listen to the message.
    5. Chapter 4 Front Lines. Listen to the three soldiers at the red army command post. You must also save three red soldiers from fascist captivity or finish the level without killing anyone (it's impossible to do both).
    6. Chapter 4 Depot. After Pavel dies, explore the train and its inhabitans.
    7. Chapter 4 Defense. Take the tape from the dying captain.
    8. Chapter 4 Child. After saving Sasha, refuse to take the ammo as a reward.
    9. Chapter 4 Outpost. Send the S.O.S. signal using the transmitter on the roof of the Nazi outpost.
    10. Chapter 4 Black Station. Listen to the first two nazi guards. Finish the level without killing anyone.

You don't need to do every single "good deed", I think 6 or 7 will be enough.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Cirdain: 
    Oh, thanks! How did you figure this out exactly?
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By Cirdain
    @SPACETURTLE: Many long hours
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yinstarrunner

I like the "bad" ending a lot more than the "good" one.  The latter just feels so contrived to me.  Seems like Artyom forgot that the Dark Ones drove a huge amount of people from his home insane just because they can't communicate properly with humans at all.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FirePrince

Well I am not going back to do everything again,but damn,was the good ending better.This game seem to have dumped good and evil-If you spare a bullet,you get the achivement "The Realist" not "Evil Bastard".I thought you could save the Dark Ones and I really wanted to,but the game dictated the ending by my actions.Not giving a bullet means ending a race?Who the hell came up with this.Jesus,games should really stop judging like that.Anybody can change.You never know what's on their mind.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Griddler
    @Cirdain: Thanks, I'll probably replay the game and go for the good ending
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Cirdain: 
    Awesome! I approve.
    scnj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By scnj
    @fang273 said:
    " I like the bad ending more than the good one. From what I've heard, the book also ends with the bad ending. Either way, great ending to a great game, definitely in my top 3 so far this year. "
    The book ends with a mix of the two.

SPOILER 

Artyom realises that the Dark Ones are trying to communicate, but it's too late as the missile already launched 

END SPOILER
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By amir90
    @Cirdain:  

wow, I lost a lot of content, too bad =( 

edit: just saw the bad ending, I would actually call this one the good ending to be honest. 
    not a big loss, but that one actually answers a couple of questions.
    Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Liminality
    @FirePrince said:
    " Well I am not going back to do everything again,but damn,was the good ending better.This game seem to have dumped good and evil-If you spare a bullet,you get the achivement "The Realist" not "Evil Bastard".I thought you could save the Dark Ones and I really wanted to,but the game dictated the ending by my actions.Not giving a bullet means ending a race?Who the hell came up with this.Jesus,games should really stop judging like that.Anybody can change.You never know what's on their mind. "
    That's exactly what I just felt minutes ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.