Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Metro 2033 - Reviews

• 75 results
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Binman88
    @Claude said:
    " I'm looking hard at getting this game. Most of the reviews say that the gun play is the one flaw, but I've found that's with a caveat. If you go in guns a blazing, you might not do well. It seems to be a thinking man's game. One review I read mentioned it was more like Bioshock and Half Life 2 and barely mentioned the STALKER series. That's intriguing as well. We'll see. "
    I haven't read any reviews, so I don't know what they mean about the gun play, but it could be the scarcity of ammo they're referring to. You really have to look everywhere to make sure you found all the ammo in a particular area before moving ahead. There's usually a little more than enough ammo to be found for each section, but you'll sometimes barely make it through a fight, running out of ammo halfway through and having to knife your way to victory. The game also rewards stealth though, so you can conserve ammo if you play smartly. I've yet to see if the stealth is limited to areas where the game is designed specifically for such tactics, or if it can be applied in any situation. I'm not very far into the game, but there's one section early on where the area is very obviously set up for a stealthy approach, allowing you to blow out gas lamps to darken the area and take down your enemies with throwing knives, silenced or pneumatic weapons - the pneumatic arrow gun thingy being the most enjoyable. You have to avoid walking into tripwires or walking on glass - each of which alert the enemy. For that particular mission I wasn't able to remain hidden for it's entirety, and I don't think it's actually possible; but once you are discovered, you can run and hide and manoeuvre yourself into a better position to take up the attack again.

The comparisons to STALKER are really only in the setting and atmosphere, and a few references to similarly named things in the game (like anomalies for instance). It seems so far more like Half Life and Half Life 2, in that you're being led on one linear journey throughout. I only played half way through Bioshock but I'd say the comparisons there are appropriate too, but only really for the same reasons as the Half Life comparisons.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By ProfessorEss

Great reviews and I still think the game looks great.

Problem is I had made up this idea in my head that this was gonna be an open, RPGish, Fallout 3 or Stalker kind of game.
    Finding out that is was actually more of a linear survival-horror game took a lot of oomph out of it for me.

Definitely not a deal-breaker, but with all the potential buyers out there, and coming soon I think I have to demote a linear FPS to rental/bargain price status unfortunately.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Linkyshinks: MetaCritic should not be listed as a review.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " Great reviews and I still think the game looks great.  Problem is I had made up this idea in my head that this was gonna be an open, RPGish, Fallout 3 or Stalker kind of game. Finding out that is was actually more of a linear survival-horror game took a lot of oomph out of it for me.  Definitely not a deal-breaker, but with all the potential buyers out there, and coming soon I think I have to demote a linear FPS to rental/bargain price status unfortunately. "
    Yeah, that is a real turn off for me. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " Great reviews and I still think the game looks great.  Problem is I had made up this idea in my head that this was gonna be an open, RPGish, Fallout 3 or Stalker kind of game. Finding out that is was actually more of a linear survival-horror game took a lot of oomph out of it for me.  Definitely not a deal-breaker, but with all the potential buyers out there, and coming soon I think I have to demote a linear FPS to rental/bargain price status unfortunately. "
    Yeah, that is a real turn off for me.  "
    For me that makes me want it even more, half the time in STALKER I was just running from place to place hoping I didn't randomly die not really having fun  unless I found a random band of mercs. In STALKER the best part for me was the crazy stuff you can find. If Metro takes that crazy stuff and puts it right in front of me I will be happy.
    Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Sn1PeR

So we did a clean driver reinstall and the problems seem to be fixed.  Decent performance now with tessellation on.  This game looks amazing!  I'm so glad they are still pushing the limits of graphics on pc games.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Binman88

A couple of gameplay videos I recorded last night (PC version), hope you don't mind me posting them here. I recorded them at Youtube-friendly resolution of 1280x720 at max settings, DX10, MSAA. At those settings the game runs very smoothly, maintaining 60FPS at best, dropping to the 40s and 50s at worst. At my native resolution of 1920x1200 it's a lot less smooth. I'm trying to find the right balance between detail and FPS at the moment. (videos are slightly darker than I recorded them at, I think due to the conversion method I used before uploading)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Linkyshinks

The Quick Look is on it's way - Dave Snider has spoken.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Binman88
    @Linkyshinks: Sweet. I hope it's Dave and Vinny.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Linkyshinks

They're saying it's typical Eastern Block - unique, but finicky...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By jakob187

I definitely wanna check this game out, but it's something that I'll need to set some serious time aside for.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By thatfrood

This game is the bee's fucking knees.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#63  Edited By Claude
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " The Quick Look is on it's way - Dave Snider has spoken. "
    The Quick Look will probably be from the PC version. If I buy it, it would have to be on the 360, but I've read it's pretty good on the 360 too. The last Quick Look they did on the PC, they turned the graphics down. I don't know why, but they did.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Claude said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    The Quick Look will probably be from the PC version. If I buy it, it would have to be on the 360, but I've read it's pretty good on the 360 too. The last Quick Look they did on the PC, they turned the graphics down. I don't know why, but they did. "

My 360 RRoD on my ass while I was playing Metro 2033 last night. It wasn't the game of course. I'll blog about it later, but needless to say, I'm not happy about it - I'm supposed to be reviewing the game for another site... 

No Caption Provided
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#65  Edited By Claude
    @Linkyshinks: 

That looks horrible. I hate these stories. I feel for you man.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Claude said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

The Quick Look will probably be from the PC version. If I buy it, it would have to be on the 360, but I've read it's pretty good on the 360 too. The last Quick Look they did on the PC, they turned the graphics down. I don't know why, but they did. "
    I remember them saying something about how they need steady FPS for their recording equipment. That's also the reason the can't disable vSync.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just finished it (on PC). Very polished, no bugs whatsoever encountered. Run great on Very High DX10 settings, without advanced physx enabled. Only had some big fps dips in certain short spots, and mostly outside action gameplay so it didn't affect the experience. The levels were really large with some room for exploration and the paths felt natural. At times you'd think you were exploring off the beaten path and  yet reach the end of the level. Loading was really speedy.

Great game. Extremely atmospheric. Great visuals (perhaps not as great as people say, still some weird character models and stuff). Great audio. I read there are two endings so I'll go back to it after I give it a rest for a while to get the other. It's right up there with the best single player FPS. Certain elements may not be great (hate some damage sponge enemies) but the game's more than the sum of its parts in the end. Personally I enjoyed it far more than Bioshock. If only STALKER was so polished and technically sound I would have loved it as well (games are nothing alike other than setting, just saying).

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By trophyhunter

I don't get it. This game looked really awful in the quicklook.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Al3xand3r

That's Quick Looks for you, lol.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70  Edited By trophyhunter

well also the part in all the reviews where they say the shooting is nearly broken.
    and this game is a shooter so that's a problem

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Al3xand3r

My guess is most didn't grasp the basics, like the difference between military grade and standard dirty ammo, or the guns you have to pump, etc. And they still rated it as the great game it is. Otherwise I don't see what can be described as broken, wherever you saw that. There are some damage sponge enemies later on as I mentioned which can be annoying but it's a brief section over the rest of the game. Otherwise, shooting works as in any other FPS with iron sights. And stealth works. If this is broken, so is every FPS ever. @Binman88:  Great videos! My next playthrough will have to be with more emphasis in stealth :-)

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Drebin_893

Gamespot gave the PC version an 8.0.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Just finished it (on PC). Very polished, no bugs whatsoever encountered. Run great on Very High DX10 settings, without advanced physx enabled. Only had some big fps dips in certain short spots, and mostly outside action gameplay so it didn't affect the experience. The levels were really large with some room for exploration and the paths felt natural. At times you'd think you were exploring off the beaten path and  yet reach the end of the level. Loading was really speedy. Great game. Extremely atmospheric. Great visuals (perhaps not as great as people say, still some weird character models and stuff). Great audio. I read there are two endings so I'll go back to it after I give it a rest for a while to get the other. It's right up there with the best single player FPS. Certain elements may not be great (hate some damage sponge enemies) but the game's more than the sum of its parts in the end. Personally I enjoyed it far more than Bioshock. If only STALKER was so polished and technically sound I would have loved it as well (games are nothing alike other than setting, just saying). "

What specs are you running on your PC?. A lot of people on the official forums are having issues running it on DX10 Very High despite having good specs. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Al3xand3r

@Linkyshinks said:

@Al3xand3r said:

Just finished it (on PC). Very polished, no bugs whatsoever encountered. Run great on Very High DX10 settings, without advanced physx enabled. Only had some big fps dips in certain short spots, and mostly outside action gameplay so it didn't affect the experience. The levels were really large with some room for exploration and the paths felt natural. At times you'd think you were exploring off the beaten path and  yet reach the end of the level. Loading was really speedy. Great game. Extremely atmospheric. Great visuals (perhaps not as great as people say, still some weird character models and stuff). Great audio. I read there are two endings so I'll go back to it after I give it a rest for a while to get the other. It's right up there with the best single player FPS. Certain elements may not be great (hate some damage sponge enemies) but the game's more than the sum of its parts in the end. Personally I enjoyed it far more than Bioshock. If only STALKER was so polished and technically sound I would have loved it as well (games are nothing alike other than setting, just saying).

What specs are you running on your PC?. A lot of people on the official forums are having issues running it on DX10 Very High despite having good specs.
    E8500, GTX285 (using the recalled drivers 196.75), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit. Not top of the line by far. But like I said, it was mostly smooth (on 1680x1050 with 4xAF and the AA setting set to AAA, whatever that is, it only had two settings, AAA and something else, no X strength - and I hate low fps in games, usually prefer lowering visuals tons to get better frame rate), with only the occasional drop in certain areas which didn't affect play, otherwise I would have dropped to high, it still looks great like that. Without the advanced physx setting as I said, that probably requires a quad core or a second Nvidia GPU (or those 2 in 1) to run well.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Al3xand3r

Here are a couple of random screens. I wanted to show the godrays which the creature's flapping affected but that obviously doesn't show well in screenshots. The other is just a random boring place, I only just installed FRAPS and loaded a save from my second playthrough. With FRAPS it showed my FPS ranged from 30 to 80+, though I was running it windowed at this point instead of fullscreen as in my first playthrough. With the nice motion blur it has on Very High 30 appears very smooth still, similar to Crysis. I didn't notice it going below 30 yet, but it probably does in the points I mentioned before, which doesn't affect gameplay. Overall I'm very pleased with the performance given my modest specifications and how good the game can look.

My gasmask was a little damaged hence the marks on the screen, and in the first screen the filter had almost run out, which makes you breath heavily and causes those distortions in the glass. You switch filter and then it goes back to normal with only the very edges distorted as in the second screen, or less.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.