Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Shotguns... useless?

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gosukiller

I've played my fair share of shooters. My favorite close range weapon has always been the shotgun. Werther it's sprinting up to a guy or running away from a monster, the shotgun has always been the most reliable weapon of choice for that burst-damage we all so crave.

My issue with this game? The shotgun is useless. Perhaps I'm not getting the right shotgun, but the 2-barrel and 5-shots shotguns just don't do their job. My handgun and assault rifle both do way more damage. In any other game a full shotgun shot or two would kill 99% of the normal enemies, but in this game, it just doesn't work that way.

Sorry if my rant got a bit long.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

When you come across hordes of enemies, I found the 5 barrel shotgun to be much more effective than the pistol or assault rifle. In the Cursed mission (where you blow up the tunnel) the respawning mutants were going down with two hits from the shotgun, sometimes three blasts being enough to take down two enemies. It also reloads a lot faster than the other weapons. The two barrel on the other hand, is largely ineffective.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Cirdain

I'm playing hardcore do not buy the VNM gun

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By CraigAA1028

When dealing with most enemies, the revolver does seem to be most effective. 2 shots typically on normal. Shotgun takes two or three, but i think the assault rifle is most useless. It'll help me in a pinch, but it's never my first choice. Granted, I still only have the first rifle so maybe that'll change.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By torus

Revolver is the most effective, especially with the addons, until you get the Kalash with the laser dot. Also, headshots can kill in 1 or 2 hits with the pistol.

CrimsonMachete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By CrimsonMachete

My experience with the 4-shot (or is it 5?) shotgun is mostly positive, with occasional one shot kills on the nosalis mutants, and normally 2 shots is enough to put one down.  One negative is that the full reload time once empty can be a pain if you are getting swarmed.  What I like best about it is the sound; on my 5.1 system cranked up each shot is like an explosion coming out of the subwoofer....pure awesome. ;)

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The Double-barrel shotgun is pretty effective and extremely close range, but it seems like the hit detection from that thing is occasionally  awful. I've shot many enemies at point blank range and somehow did not hit them. Still, it's a really fun and sometimes satisfying weapon to use thanks to the sound effects combined with the reloading animation.

The auto-shotgun, what little I've used of it, it pretty awesome, though. Has decent range on it and packs a good punch.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Bane

Hmm, the automatic shotty is my go-to weapon against mutants.  The reload animations alone make it worth using.   I do wish we could right-click aim it for a little more accuracy since I found the melee attack pretty useless.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.