Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Should I keep going?

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Hey folks. So i've been trying to push myself through Metro 2033 and i've just reached the bandit station where they've taken Bourbon prisoner. I'm just having no fun at all. It's so strange, because anything survival-based, atmospheric and story-focused is great on my books (STALKER: Call of Pripyat ranks as one of my favourite games), but between the extremely flimsy stealth mechanics and omniscient bullet-sponge AI I just don't know if I can keep going. Contrary to what everybody else seems to have said about the game, I don't at all feel like my bullets have a weight to them.

So should I push through? Are the early sections just kind of a slog? Or is this indicative enough of the rest of the game that I should just quit now? Like I said, this style of game seems right up my alley, but i'm banging my head against a wall here and it's killing me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Or you can just ignore stealth and shoot everyone. That's that I mostly did, even with the later nasty enemies you aren't "supposed" to fight. If you find enemies bullet spongy, I would suggest dropping the difficulty and then shooting them. Pro-tip, shotguns are beastly up close and also ammo efficient, no one survives a point blank face-full of buckshot. And for larger game there is even an automatic shotgun ho-ho-ho.

There is only 2 proper "stealth" sections in the game anyway the rail crossing with both factions on it (i forget the name) and like 1 outside with a bunch of doglike bastards. And really even those you can just shoot your way through.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought the end game was the best part of Metro 2033. If you haven't been enjoying yourself so far though, I doubt continuing will change your mind.

If you haven't played Metro Last Light yet, it's leaps and bounds better than Metro 2033. The story, mechanics, graphics & engine are all much MUCH better. In fact, Last Light is my GOTY so far.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

@pimblycharles: Eh, personally I actually liked Last Light less. The stealth was made just laughably easy with super oblivious AI and you have several instant kill, practically infinite methods, with almost every area made artificially stealthable. Graphically while LL is technically better, the 2033 at the time that it came out was a technological wonder, while LL is just a marginal upgrade from that. And as for story that's super subjective, but again I like 2033 more, it was less in your face about it i guess which i liked. Plus the fact that LL dismissed the ending I chose as non cannon also didn't help :P

But I also understand why people liked LL more then 2033. I just had less issues with 2033 to begin with, so that also alters my perception of the two games.

thefeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought the end game was the best part of Metro 2033. If you haven't been enjoying yourself so far though, I doubt continuing will change your mind.

If you haven't played Metro Last Light yet, it's leaps and bounds better than Metro 2033. The story, mechanics, graphics & engine are all much MUCH better. In fact, Last Light is my GOTY so far.

I agree with pc. Such a pretty game..The story is a bit outlandish for sure but hey its a video game...I also really didn't stealth play either. I killed everything that moved...

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hatking

I'm going to take some bourbon prisoner. In my mouth.

Yes, keep playing. It's a pretty good game. My favorite bits are probably in the last twenty minutes.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

i am of a few who didn't like Metro 2033 (Last Light is pretty great, however). 2033 had the atmosphere but the gameplay was a real drag, i managed to get through it, and it has its moments but all in all i don't see why that game gets the praise that it does.

i don't remember if you can adjust the difficult, but it may be worth it to lower it and blaze through the game that way.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@pimblycharles: Eh, personally I actually liked Last Light less. The stealth was made just laughably easy with super oblivious AI and you have several instant kill, practically infinite methods, with almost every area made artificially stealthable. Graphically while LL is technically better, the 2033 at the time that it came out was a technological wonder, while LL is just a marginal upgrade from that. And as for story that's super subjective, but again I like 2033 more, it was less in your face about it i guess which i liked. Plus the fact that LL dismissed the ending I chose as non cannon also didn't help :P

But I also understand why people liked LL more then 2033. I just had less issues with 2033 to begin with, so that also alters my perception of the two games.

Yeah I agree. Whilst Last Light was a step forward if you like boring, super easy combat scenarios, the atmosphere was almost entirely missing, and the story just became a lazy humans vs humans thing instead.

stage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should play on Ranger Easy (assuming it's available?) if you want to get away from the bullet sponges. A much better experience. And yes, you should keep going!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.