Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

This game doesn't seem that well optimized..

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I'm playing through the game right now and with my current specs, during the fights with the mutants my FPS will drop to around 20, however when just walking it's at around 70. I'm using DX10, AAA, Texture filtering to AFx4, very high quality and PhysX advanced on. Should I perhaps turn advanced PhysX off? Any tweaks I can do to make it run better? Does it seem like this is the FPS it should be running at for a PC with this rig?

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

GTX 570

Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3

Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black, SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

Thanks

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Anisotropic filtering isn't very intensive. I always turn that up to 16x. Turn off any AA, and turn off PhysX. See how that is.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anisotropic filtering isn't very intensive. I always turn that up to 16x. Turn off any AA, and turn off PhysX. See how that is.

It doesn't seem like I can turn off AA, only set it to AAA or MSAAx4

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Yeah, this game is notorious for being poorly optimized. I know the PhysX does take a good part in the poor optimization, and with a 570 I would say it's a good idea to turn off AA. I just got an EVGA 660 GTX ti and I'm getting about 23 average fps with full settings (my setup isn't too different from yours just with a 2.93 Ghz i7 and a bit more RAM). It makes me sad because Last Light looks so good and it works pretty well!

In response to your AA thing, I believe you should be able to? If not just set it to AAA. Are you playing at 1920x1080?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@nekusakuraba: Try turning off SSAO if you can too. I dont remember the settings but google suggests you cant turn it off or that AAA is off. I'm not sure...

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earlessshrimp: I'm playing at 1650 x 1080. There is no option to turn AA off, unless you can somehow force it to be turned off.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's totally a system hog just like its predecessor.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

PhysX is the bane of our existance! :(

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I turned off Advanced PhsyX and basically found that here was no difference in the framerate when getting into fights. Anything else I should tweak? Is there a way to turn it off completely? I've never done that before...

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Hamst3r

How's it run at 720?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've just been dealing with the performance but I can't seem to get the game to actually play for more than 15 minutes without crashing! It just tell me that Metro 2033 has stopped working. Everything I verify the cache on Steam it says that it has found a file and replaced it. Every time.

I've also tried re installing several times and no luck. Anyone know what the problem could be?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.