THQ Registers Some Metro-Related Domains

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

News that Metro 2033 was getting a sequel called “Metro 2034broke in mid-2010, so it isn’t much of a surprise to see that publisher THQ is moving to secure domain names. What is surprising is these domain names are suggesting the first follow-up might not be Metro 2034.

THQ has registered, according to consistent Internet super sleuth @supererogatory, lastlightgame.com, the particularly descriptive metro2033lastlightgame and last, but not least, metrolastlight.com. If you throw all these domain names together into a game name that makes sense you get Metro 2033: Last Light. 

THQ core games VP Danny Bilson spilled the beans on Metro 2034 (or whatever it's eventually called) as far back as last E3, while discussing Metro 2033 with CVG. "We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034, the sequel," said Bilson.

While Metro 2033 was certainly good enough to warrant a sequel, it did have its share of issues--a point THQ is taking to heart for the next game. "The new one doesn't have any of those issues," Bilson told Joystiq in an interview earlier this year. "I green-lit the sequel before [Metro 2033] shipped, because I know what [developer 4A Games is] capable of--I knew how cool it was." 

Do these domains refer to Metro 2034, Metro 2033: Last Light or something else entirely? They could even be teasing a Metro 2033 follow-up expansion pack or a tie-in downloadable game similar to Dead Rising 2: Case Zero. Given that THQ has already announced they've green-lit the sequel, however, we know THQ is invested in the Metro brand.

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

News that Metro 2033 was getting a sequel called “Metro 2034broke in mid-2010, so it isn’t much of a surprise to see that publisher THQ is moving to secure domain names. What is surprising is these domain names are suggesting the first follow-up might not be Metro 2034.

THQ has registered, according to consistent Internet super sleuth @supererogatory, lastlightgame.com, the particularly descriptive metro2033lastlightgame and last, but not least, metrolastlight.com. If you throw all these domain names together into a game name that makes sense you get Metro 2033: Last Light. 

THQ core games VP Danny Bilson spilled the beans on Metro 2034 (or whatever it's eventually called) as far back as last E3, while discussing Metro 2033 with CVG. "We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034, the sequel," said Bilson.

While Metro 2033 was certainly good enough to warrant a sequel, it did have its share of issues--a point THQ is taking to heart for the next game. "The new one doesn't have any of those issues," Bilson told Joystiq in an interview earlier this year. "I green-lit the sequel before [Metro 2033] shipped, because I know what [developer 4A Games is] capable of--I knew how cool it was." 

Do these domains refer to Metro 2034, Metro 2033: Last Light or something else entirely? They could even be teasing a Metro 2033 follow-up expansion pack or a tie-in downloadable game similar to Dead Rising 2: Case Zero. Given that THQ has already announced they've green-lit the sequel, however, we know THQ is invested in the Metro brand.

#2 Edited by Bakumatsu (354 posts) -

could it be?

Edit: Yes it is. Finally.

#3 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

metro2033 was teh shit

#4 Posted by InertiaXr (21 posts) -

Headline says Metro 2044, but article says most likely 2034 as the next sequel?

#5 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

The first seemed ok for an eastern bloc game, colour me intrigued

#6 Posted by patrickklepek (3454 posts) -

Metro 2033 was one of my faves from last year. GHOST TRAIN.

Staff
#7 Posted by johncallahan (542 posts) -

Metro 2033 was one of the most overlooked (and subsequently one of my favorite) games of last year. Excited to see what this turns into. 

#8 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

Fire whoever made the faces.

#9 Posted by Sankis (64 posts) -

Metro 2033 was a pretty great game. The book was also fantastic.

#10 Posted by kilaen (16 posts) -

Loved Metro 2033, good stuff.

#11 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4622 posts) -

I've been playing through this recently, and this news gives me an erection.

#12 Posted by Sin4profit (2905 posts) -
@jonny126: @patrickklepek:  really? i thought it was kind of a drag when i played through it. Dunno what it was, the linear progression, the complete lack of hit confirmation when you shoot dudes, the obnoxious breathing sounds when managing the obnoxious gas mask mechanic...i just couldn't get into it.
#13 Posted by cikame (967 posts) -

Metro 2033 was definately special even with it's flaws.

Looking forward to more.

#14 Posted by Abendlaender (2753 posts) -

Metro 2033 was a great book but I found 2034 pretty boring and weak, especially compared to 2033.

I really, really enjoyed Metro 2033 - The Game (thats what they should have called it), and I always look forward to some russian underground ghost trains.

#15 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1692 posts) -

I'm going to bet Last Light will be a downloadable tie-in game before 2034 comes out. There's a possibility that it could be a DLC that branches in between the two games, but it wouldn't make a ton of sense to have an entire website dedicated to a DLC, especially a DLC for what is a relatively underground game. Either way, can't wait to get my hands on more Metro. 2033 was one of my favorite games from last year.

#16 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@cikame: Yes it is good to finally hear news a sequel.I just hope the story in 2034 stays strong, and maybe a little less linear?If possible...
#17 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@Abendlaender said:
" Metro 2033 was a great book but I found 2034 pretty boring and weak, especially compared to 2033.I really, really enjoyed Metro 2033 - The Game (thats what they should have called it), and I always look forward to some russian underground ghost trains. "
Why would they call it Metro 2033 - The Game?

People will already know it's a game as marked by the PC/360 labeling. Derp...

What a dumb idea.
#18 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

Last Light sounds like a "director's cut" version of the first game. I'm sure that THQ is looking to expand the brand out to the PS3, so I wouldn't be surprised if they squeeze out a director's cut before launching the sequel across all platforms. If they wanna compete with the bigger publishers - and they've already shown that yes, that's exactly what they intend to do - than they HAVE to make all their franchises multiplatform. Saint's Row did it, De Blob did it, it only makes sense that Metro 2033 is next.

I'd pick it up for PS3. Always looked interesting. I much prefer games with interesting faults than shitty, me-too, safe bet military shooters.

#19 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Typo in the subtitle (or whatever you call it) on the main page. It says Metro 2044 instead of 2034.

#20 Posted by lmenzol (271 posts) -

russian accents are the coolest

#21 Posted by MrKlorox (11203 posts) -

Cool. Metro 2033 was a surprisingly fun shooter, being so linear and all. I still hope they take it open world soon like Stalker.

#22 Posted by Evilsbane (4528 posts) -

Wow totally missed the 2034 thing whenever that was said, but sweet Metro 2033 is a really great game happy to see another.

#23 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

fuck yea more metro! 2033 was easily one of my favorite games from the past 3 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.