Who purchased this for PC?

#1 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

I'm definitely getting my copy sometime in the future. I wouldn't bother with it now since the only graphics card that could run the game on max flawlessly costs half a grand. The way I see it, this game marks the next-generation for PC gaming.

#2 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Yeah, I bought this for PC. It freakin' drains my hardware. But I think you should be able to play this flawless on max settings with the newest and best graphic card. Still, that would lighten your wallet pretty much I guess...

#3 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I did. I'd hardly call this the 'next generation of gaming'. 

That is unless you have a serious fetish for levels that are 5 minutes long and seriously love loading screens. In that regard, it's truly the future

#4 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

I got it on PC. It runs decent enough. The performance really drops in open areas or when there's a lot of smoke and mist floating around.

#5 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

What's the lowest price you've found? It's $50 directly off Steam but I found a Steam cdkey for $36 USD from a site I've used before to buy BF2. It's listed as the pre-order still, but I think it's because the site resides in Australia and they don't get it till the 19th or something. Unless anybody finds a better price, I'll be getting my key through them once it becomes available.

#6 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

No I haven't bought it yet and I have no plans to because i'm already over my budget for the month of videogames also I bought a hdtv I use as a monitor and two games. Alot of ppl are saying how good the graphics are though, for the pc version. Tbh, i'm not totally convinced of the gameplay and I don't think it's worth buying over other games this month.

#7 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

I ran it on high with a GTX 260, 32 bit XP, Core 2 Duo @ 3.16, and it looked pretty damn good. 

It's definitely worth a look, though the gameplay doesn't necessarily match up as well as the graphics do.

#8 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I opened the game for a minute earlier to check out the settings and it automatically went to max on DX9. I only have an 8800 GTS, so it would probably lag to death on DX10, and DX11 isn't even available. 

Going to start playing in a few minutes. 

#9 Edited by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

A follow up: The game runs way better in DX9 mode than in DX10 mode. DX10 has some extra effects, like object motion blur, but the texture and geometry stuff seems to be all the same. I've decided DX9 mode is the way I'm gonna go for this one as the sluggish performance in DX10 mode was really killing the mood and now I can leave it on it's Very High graphics setting.
#10 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I'm buying it soon.  The price drop on Steam from $80 to $50 has made it a lot more appealing. :)

#11 Edited by fang273 (194 posts) -

I play in dx11, and the only time I've had a framerate drop is when there's fire on the screen. Even then it's a bit jenky, but still completely playable.

As far as 'next generation of gaming' goes, ME2 characters looked better, this game just has better environments. Still a solid game though, fun so far.

#12 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" I'm buying it soon.  The price drop on Steam from $80 to $50 has made it a lot more appealing. :) "
I wonder why the price dropped so quickly.
#13 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Alphiehyr said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" I'm buying it soon.  The price drop on Steam from $80 to $50 has made it a lot more appealing. :) "
I wonder why the price dropped so quickly. "
Slow sales is my guess.  New product from a new team with no MP.  So they dropped the price to pick up sales.  That, or the original price was a typo.
#14 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I put 2-3 hours into it last night and I think it's pretty good so far. It looks great even on DX9, but DX10 seems to have shitty performance and minimal upgrades from what I've seen. I've heard a lot of good things about the graphics on DX11, but since I bought my computer three years ago I can't really say much on it. 

Aside from the graphics, the game feels like STALKER with the bleak atmosphere and all, but there's no RPG elements this time around. Combat doesn't feel as great as it could, but you'll mostly be taking out your foes silently unless you're ambushed by giant mutant rat things. The AI is also a little wonky at times, but it's not a big deal. The whole ammo currency thing is neat and adds in a bit of strategy, so you'll be quite low on money if you go in guns blazing and wasting valuable ammo that can be sold later.

Characters and voice acting are top-notch, and the stations you visit in between your travels feel alive. Nearly every person you pass will speak to you, and there's up to a hundred people in each station. Some of the dialogue is a little silly though, especially in combat. Being called a wanker in the middle of a firefight is a little strange, and you'll be hearing "We've got injured!" every ten seconds.

I've only played a few hours so far, so my impressions might change by the end. If you're expecting a great FPS, you'll probably be a little disappointed. If you're in more for the atmosphere, it's a damn fine game.
#15 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Two questions:
1: Is this game a stalker clone?
2: Was it made in russia?

#16 Edited by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Jimi said:

" Two questions: 1: Is this game a stalker clone? 2: Was it made in russia? "

The concept is pretty similar to STALKER so I would say yes. No, the STALKER franchise and Metro 2033 are both developed by Ukraine-based companies.

@Hourai

said:

" I put 2-3 hours into it last night and I think it's pretty good so far. It looks great even on DX9, but DX10 seems to have shitty performance and minimal upgrades from what I've seen. I've heard a lot of good things about the graphics on DX11, but since I bought my computer three years ago I can't really say much on it. Aside from the graphics, the game feels like STALKER with the bleak atmosphere and all, but there's no RPG elements this time around. Combat doesn't feel as great as it could, but you'll mostly be taking out your foes silently unless you're ambushed by giant mutant rat things. The AI is also a little wonky at times, but it's not a big deal. The whole ammo currency thing is neat and adds in a bit of strategy, so you'll be quite low on money if you go in guns blazing and wasting valuable ammo that can be sold later. Characters and voice acting are top-notch, and the stations you visit in between your travels feel alive. Nearly every person you pass will speak to you, and there's up to a hundred people in each station. Some of the dialogue is a little silly though, especially in combat. Being called a wanker in the middle of a firefight is a little strange, and you'll be hearing "We've got injured!" every ten seconds. I've only played a few hours so far, so my impressions might change by the end. If you're expecting a great FPS, you'll probably be a little disappointed. If you're in more for the atmosphere, it's a damn fine game. "

It's funny that you mentioned the currency system. I was thinking about it the other day and I thought... How do I buy ammo when it costs ammo?

I'm pretty much looking for a realistic and survival sort-of game. Something that I can enjoy and savor almost every moment. The idea of looking for a awesome FPS game is pretty much dead to me since the Americans constantly make them. Like KZ2 and MW2.
#17 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -
@Jimi said:

1) I wouldn't call it a clone, but it has its share of similarities. 

2) It was developed by 4A Games, which is a Ukrainian company.  

@Alphiehyr said:

" @Hourai said:

" I put 2-3 hours into it last night and I think it's pretty good so far. It looks great even on DX9, but DX10 seems to have shitty performance and minimal upgrades from what I've seen. I've heard a lot of good things about the graphics on DX11, but since I bought my computer three years ago I can't really say much on it. Aside from the graphics, the game feels like STALKER with the bleak atmosphere and all, but there's no RPG elements this time around. Combat doesn't feel as great as it could, but you'll mostly be taking out your foes silently unless you're ambushed by giant mutant rat things. The AI is also a little wonky at times, but it's not a big deal. The whole ammo currency thing is neat and adds in a bit of strategy, so you'll be quite low on money if you go in guns blazing and wasting valuable ammo that can be sold later. Characters and voice acting are top-notch, and the stations you visit in between your travels feel alive. Nearly every person you pass will speak to you, and there's up to a hundred people in each station. Some of the dialogue is a little silly though, especially in combat. Being called a wanker in the middle of a firefight is a little strange, and you'll be hearing "We've got injured!" every ten seconds. I've only played a few hours so far, so my impressions might change by the end. If you're expecting a great FPS, you'll probably be a little disappointed. If you're in more for the atmosphere, it's a damn fine game. "

It's funny that you mentioned the currency system. I was thinking about it the other day and I thought... How do I buy ammo when it costs ammo? "
Basically, there is standard ammo, and then military grade ammo which is used as the currency of the game, but it can also be used as more powerful bullets if you wish. You can find military grade ammo lying around, but you get a decent chunk each time you progress in the story and get to the next station (I think). You can sell your standard ammo for military grade ammo, which will probably eat up your ammo supply quickly unless you're well stocked.  

#18 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" @Jimi said:

1) I wouldn't call it a clone, but it has its share of similarities. 

2) It was developed by 4A Games, which is a Ukrainian company.  

@Alphiehyr said:

" @Hourai said:

It's funny that you mentioned the currency system. I was thinking about it the other day and I thought... How do I buy ammo when it costs ammo? "
Basically, there is standard ammo, and then military grade ammo which is used as the currency of the game, but it can also be used as more powerful bullets if you wish. You can find military grade ammo lying around, but you get a decent chunk each time you progress in the story and get to the next station (I think). You can sell your standard ammo for military grade ammo, which will probably eat up your ammo supply quickly unless you're well stocked.  

"
Good to know.

I'm looking forward to the book as well. Interested in finding out how they acquire more ammunition.
#19 Posted by DeadRockstar (32 posts) -

The games biggest performance issue on PC is the implementation of the graphics options. It has 4 global settings, with no ability to tweak individual settings. I think DX11 Very High is basically unplayable thanks to the high precision volumetric lighting that's forced on you at that setting. The same effect at a lower precision used in the high setting makes the game completely playable, but unfortunately the high profile disables several other features from very high that have much less of a performance impact but improve the visuals. It's a bit disappointing that a game with such focus on the PC side of development omitted the option to tweak stuff like that. For now I'm basically running it at DX11 high with tessellation on and have no issues. Hopefully a patch or community config will fix the issue soon. For reference I'm running it at 1080p on a 4.2ghz i7 and Radeon 5870. 

As for the game itself, I'm enjoying it so far. The game seems like it'll get quite difficult before long, thanks to both the enemies, ammo conversation and the occasionally janky AI. When I was last playing, my AI buddy decided he'd stop shooting for a while which made that particular section kind of a pain but it's not frequent so not a big issue.  The atmosphere is the game's strong suit in my opinion. It's pulled me in much more than STALKER, which I never completed. So far so good, hope it holds up for the rest of the game.

#20 Posted by Aeterna (1118 posts) -

Got it on PC, running it just fine on DX11, 1920x1200 on High, as said above the Very High setting turns some stuff on that I don't really want on.

#21 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

bought it today on PC i'm really loving it i got it over dragon age awakanings

#22 Posted by Bane (405 posts) -

I run it at 1920 x 1200, DX10, very high.  Frames are 30+ 99% of the time (highest I remember was in the 80's) with rare dips into the 20's around very bright light sources like tunnels to the surface.  No crashes or bugs that I noticed from beginning to end.

Q9450, GTX 280 SLI, 4GB RAM, Win7 64-bit, no overclocking

Frame rate killer, no idea why:

#23 Posted by Decibel (40 posts) -

I got yesterday off steam and took me 3 hours to get it up and running! kept running into Physxloader.dll issues. I guess its because I'm using ATI. But after downloading some Physx software library from nividia, it was smooth sailing.

#24 Edited by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Bane said:

" I run it at 1920 x 1200, DX10, very high.  Frames are 30+ 99% of the time (highest I remember was in the 80's) with rare dips into the 20's around very bright light sources like tunnels to the surface.  No crashes or bugs that I noticed from beginning to end.

Q9450, GTX 280 SLI, 4GB RAM, Win7 64-bit, no overclocking

Frame rate killer, no idea why:

"
Your CPU and GPU are pretty much at the top of the list; very high-end. It's still a FR killer if you try to max out everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.