Metro 2034 Is Coming And Will Be In 3D

• 68 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In Soviet Russia, the mines come to you. 

A wise-ish man would start ammunition and shield teething in the near future, as he readies to take another dip in the post-apocalyptic waste pool. It might sting and suck at first, but it'll serve you well when you're forced to fight within the battered, haunted, and surely dismal underground of Metro 2034.

THQ has given the nod to 4A Games, and is set to publish a follow-up to Metro 2033, a fantastically gloomy FPS that featured a host of abnormal mechanics and forced more than a fair share of near-chest-eruption-via-attrition moments. 

News of this sequel comes from THQ executive Danny Bilson during a sidebar that started with Bilson boasting about NVIDIA demoing Metro 2033 in 3D. One version of Metro 2034 will, as you may have just surmised, will be presented in 3D.

"We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034--the sequel. And there will be some engineering costs there, but that's in our lowest centre in the world. Those games are unbelievably reasonable; they're built in Kiev," Bilson told CVG in his interview with the publication.  

Two men, one gas mask.

== TEASER ==Metro 2033 featured an interesting HUD-less presentation that had you to using the protagonist's hands and wrists to see objectives, monitor filter time, or to take a quick peek at ammo type or levels. This is in addition to its field-of-view restricting gas masks and other such elements. 3D, in my mind, could theoretically enhance these components, as well as provide a scare or two when a beasty comes out to play in the wastelands.

Bilson didn't get into specifics, much less a release date. Chances are we won't hear much about Metro 2034 in the near future--dude is talking about the game mad early, in a similar scenario to what's happening with Darksiders 2.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In Soviet Russia, the mines come to you. 

A wise-ish man would start ammunition and shield teething in the near future, as he readies to take another dip in the post-apocalyptic waste pool. It might sting and suck at first, but it'll serve you well when you're forced to fight within the battered, haunted, and surely dismal underground of Metro 2034.

THQ has given the nod to 4A Games, and is set to publish a follow-up to Metro 2033, a fantastically gloomy FPS that featured a host of abnormal mechanics and forced more than a fair share of near-chest-eruption-via-attrition moments. 

News of this sequel comes from THQ executive Danny Bilson during a sidebar that started with Bilson boasting about NVIDIA demoing Metro 2033 in 3D. One version of Metro 2034 will, as you may have just surmised, will be presented in 3D.

"We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034--the sequel. And there will be some engineering costs there, but that's in our lowest centre in the world. Those games are unbelievably reasonable; they're built in Kiev," Bilson told CVG in his interview with the publication.  

Two men, one gas mask.

== TEASER ==Metro 2033 featured an interesting HUD-less presentation that had you to using the protagonist's hands and wrists to see objectives, monitor filter time, or to take a quick peek at ammo type or levels. This is in addition to its field-of-view restricting gas masks and other such elements. 3D, in my mind, could theoretically enhance these components, as well as provide a scare or two when a beasty comes out to play in the wastelands.

Bilson didn't get into specifics, much less a release date. Chances are we won't hear much about Metro 2034 in the near future--dude is talking about the game mad early, in a similar scenario to what's happening with Darksiders 2.    
#2 Edited by Taka (201 posts) -

3d... i heard its a thing

#3 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

THQ making profits

#4 Posted by Genkkaku (732 posts) -

Never played the first.. but maybe 3D will get me into it.. Probably not

#5 Posted by JMartNWA (194 posts) -

Got to play 2033 first, but it might be worth a sequel.

#6 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

More 3d games is a good thing. The sooner I have an excuse to bust out a tonne of money on a 400 series card the better.

#7 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

that game is too fucking technically advanced.. it doesnt belong in our present day goddamnit

#8 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

Was the first one any good?

#9 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I am so psyched for this, metro 2033 is one of my games of 2010 and I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel. 3d, eh, whatever, I don't care

#10 Posted by jkz (4002 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" I am so psyched for this, metro 2033 is one of my games of 2010 and I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel. 3d, eh, whatever, I don't care "
My feelings exactly.
#11 Edited by xyzygy (9892 posts) -

Metro 2033 is one of the best games of this year and I'm PUMPED that they're making a sequel. I honestly couldn't believe how beautiful and amazing this game was after I popped it into my console. 

@Burns098356GX said:

" Was the first one any good? "

Yes, it's beyond amazing. Really immersive and creepy. And it's pretty tough too on the hardest setting. 

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" that game is too fucking technically advanced.. it doesnt belong in our present day goddamnit "
If you have a 360 get it for that. The graphics are stunning and there was only one spot where it slowed down for me in the entire game, and it was for like 5 seconds
#12 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

I should go back and finish the first one.

#13 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

I need to pick the original up sometime.

#14 Posted by BatmanBatman (317 posts) -

just finished 2033.. it's good got some flaws... but was pretty fun
but metro 2034.. I don't know man    just don't like the name  ..  

#15 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -
@dido85 said:
"  just finished 2033.. it's good got some flaws... but was pretty funbut metro 2034.. I don't know man    just don't like the name  ..   "
that's the name of the book sequel :P
#16 Posted by LeBart (302 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @dido85 said:
"  just finished 2033.. it's good got some flaws... but was pretty funbut metro 2034.. I don't know man    just don't like the name  ..   "
that's the name of the book sequel :P "
That's still a stupid name. :)
#17 Posted by DarkCipher (4 posts) -

now this is something that made my day even better loved metro 2033 cant wait to play the next one :P

#18 Posted by BatmanBatman (317 posts) -
@Laketown:  no way!!! 
is that set in 2034??  
#19 Posted by BatmanBatman (317 posts) -

I'll tell you one thing..  can wait to play metro 2037 in 4D!!!

#20 Posted by JamesKond (232 posts) -

I just saw my first 3D film and I'll tell you: Not impressed.

#21 Posted by Radar (887 posts) -

nuBrad has some really bad captions

#22 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

I had to stop playing the first. The combat was just dire...

#23 Posted by sephirm87 (230 posts) -

In Soviet Russia, Game programs you.
#25 Posted by DjTann3r (214 posts) -

Good to see them succeeding. I'll be into it.

#26 Posted by Shimakaze (166 posts) -

I'm playing 2033 in 3D and that works well so no reason to think 2034 won't be equally good.

#27 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Well, I don't know about 3D. I'm generally very pro the idea, but I just have to express some excitement to hear any news from Metro 2034. The first game was fucking epic!

#28 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -
@luce said:
"THQ making profits "

And thats great, THQ has released only good games for more than a year now and they deserve every penny they made of them.
#29 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

I don't own a 3D TV so i don't care.

#30 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -
@JamesKond said:
" I just saw my first 3D film and I'll tell you: Not impressed. "
What movie?  It really depends on the movie if you want to be impressed.  By all accounts Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon are the only ones to have done it well so far.
#31 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

More like Metro 203D! I'm so clever.

#32 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Posted by DBagalot (159 posts) -

3D Joy.....

#34 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

I'm far more excited about the concept of another Metro entry than I am about that new Metro entry being in 3d.

#35 Posted by AlfredCapone (164 posts) -

awesome, I just started playing 2033..Im digging it so far

#36 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

The more games that are offered in 3D will be worthwhile to start investing in a 3D television.

#37 Posted by D_O_A (77 posts) -

I can't wait for everyone to get over this whole 3D thing, when it works without glasses and enhances gameplay in some way i might be more interested

#38 Posted by steelknight2000 (433 posts) -

How about this, skip the 3D and fix the combat

#39 Posted by hpv (177 posts) -
@JamesKond said:
" I just saw my first 3D film and I'll tell you: Not impressed. "
What'd you see?
#40 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Funfact: All modern polygon based PC games are in "3D" ... especially the ones with a focus on graphics.

#41 Posted by MeatSim (10765 posts) -

Where was the 2032 Metro games before this?

#42 Posted by JerkFace (119 posts) -

Fuck to the yes!  God damn I loved Metro.

#43 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I really like the idea of Metro 2033, but the reason I haven't played it yet is because it seemed to come short of the STALKER games, and so I went with Call of Pripyat instead. Hopefully Metro 2034 will be a more realized vision.

#44 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" I really like the idea of Metro 2033, but the reason I haven't played it yet is because it seemed to come short of the STALKER games, and so I went with Call of Pripyat instead. Hopefully Metro 2034 will be a more realized vision. "
Same here. If Metro was an open world shooter, I'd not hesitate a second further. But it's a corridor shooter, and I've been over that game style since Doom 3.

I still plan on picking it up when it's cheap during some Steam sale.
#45 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

bleh

#46 Posted by CrazyManDan (18 posts) -

Metro 2033 strikes me as a game I'd love, but I don't have a system that could play it. Here's hoping they can manage a PS3 version for the sequel.

#47 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3700 posts) -
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" I really like the idea of Metro 2033, but the reason I haven't played it yet is because it seemed to come short of the STALKER games, and so I went with Call of Pripyat instead. Hopefully Metro 2034 will be a more realized vision. "
They're very different games. Metro is a lot more linear.
#48 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -
@Radar: It's been at least a month. Get over it.

Probably picking up 2033 in the THQ Steam pack. So right now I don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. ;D
#49 Posted by FilthyJTR (44 posts) -
@LeBart said:
" @Laketown said:
" @dido85 said:
that's the name of the book sequel :P "
That's still a stupid name. :) "
Shut the fuck up:)
#50 Posted by JeansJoe (26 posts) -

"One version of Metro 2034 will, as you may have just surmised, will be presented in 3D."

There's a double will in that one, isn't it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.