Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro: Last Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 14, 2013

The sequel to the underground hit Metro 2033. Set in Moscow in the year 2034, the player will be caught between warring factions vying for a doomsday device.

So I picked Last Light Up.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I only say this because while I really did want to play this, there are a few other games from this year that I had initially wanted to play more, especially since I don't have the PC to play Metro on and I didn't play the first game, but wala, I bought it on Xbox 360 and I hope it's great. What's everyone elses opinion about the game? Without spoilers obviously :). I still have Tomb Raider to play, but now I think I'll wait for the 'Definitive version' on next-gen, and then I was also going to get Splinter Cell Blacklist instead, but it was Metro. Plus, it ended up being $49.99 instead of Blacklist's $59.99. I just hope even though I didn't play the first; never heard of the novel, and am playing it on 360 (not the PC which is undoubtedly the best version I'm guessing), I still enjoy my time with it. Anyways, yeah, like I asked before, what did everyone else think about it?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm thinking of grabbing it for pc for $13.59. Seems expensive.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pweidman

I loved the first game and have the 2033 book. It's good stuff in general. Patrick liked M:LL I think; check the review and the QL I guess. I've got Last Light on 360 but only played a smidge due to too many other games at the time it released. What little I played seemed fine, very much like the first and it looked pretty great too. Does seem like it should be a little cheaper by now, but my bet is it's a good game regardless.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wjb

Really enjoyed it, more so than 2033.

The no-kill method is actually fairly attainable except for one or two hard spots. Very satisfying compared to other games.

I think Patrick was really the only person who played it. I could be wrong. It's probably a top ten candidate, but I haven't heard a whole lot from it in months.

Clockwk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's currently #3 on my GOTY list. It might be the most atmospheric game I have ever played. Also, play it in Russian with English sub-titles, makes it a lot more immersive.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Yea, really enjoyed it. It's a well done game with some super rewarding stealth sections. Don't go into it expecting something like Call of Duty.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved my time with this game. I might even say it's in my Top 3 games of this generation. It's not like a typical FPS, and the stealth stuff is done well. Almost has shades of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher's Bay.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I just finished about an hour up, where you meet the Nazi's and start having to sneak as you choose to turn the lights off or not. I'm liking it so far, and I feel like though I haven't really snuck since I just began doing so, it seems like it's going to be great. I'm interested in seeing where the atmosphere and story goes, gameplay wise it seems solid. I'm glad people are saying it's at least in their top ten lists, that's what I was hoping for, and so far it seems like it'll be up there. It surprisingly looks better than I thought too visually which is great.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@clockwk: Yeah, I think I will after my first playthrough, though will the Nazi characters speak Russian too? It may be minor, but still, that'd be a bit jarring.

@rawknro11a: I know what to expect as far as that goes. I wasn't expecting it to be like Call of Duty, and while I like some Call of Duty's, I wouldn't really want it to be like Call of Duty.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Bioshock Infinite were a good game, it would be Metro: Last Light.

What?

Clockwk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Clockwk

@ntm: The Nazi's in Last Light aren't actually German Nazi's, they are Russians that adopted some of the same philosophies as the German Nazi's from World War 2 in the wake of the nuclear apocalypse.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I've just played it recently too, and I think it's great but maybe a bit too similar to the first one. Missing 2033 would probably make the experience way better. If I have to complain about anything, it'd probably be some of the weird checkpoints the game gave me.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vuud

I thought it was way too easy, both the shooting and stealth, compared to the first game. I breezed through it but I'll try again on Ranger Hardcore during my winter break. A lot of the guns seemed redundant.

Other than that the game is solid gold, I like the DLC too.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

This game is utterly amazing. Definitely one of my favorite of the generation. It just gets better as its goes on, with lots of memorable set-pieces. I will say that I thought the last act was rather silly compared to what came before it and the ending was a little disappointing, but the game is still great despite those things.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By bigjeffrey

I really need to play this at some point, i got it for free and it's just sitting untouched on steam.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Awful boss fights (there shouldn't be boss fights in shooters!) and a really, REALLY bad ending were the only issues I had with it. It still remains one of the most atmospheric, intense, and strangely intriguing games I have played in the last few years.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

@clockwk: When I was replying to you, I was thinking about that, but I wouldn't know for certain. Well alright, that makes sense. Not that I couldn't already guess that if I really thought about the way the story is and how the world is, but is that something that's revealed later on?

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Hawkerace

blaaaaaaaaayd cyka.

good game

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

What is wrong with you? I bought it full price at $60 for PS3. WELL worth the price tag. I highly recommend it for any price. Please go pick it up.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ran into some pretty rotten bugs really far into the game. I couldn't progress past a certain point. I decided to drop the difficulty and try running through that chapter again, but when I changed the difficulty it erased all of my progress. So, fuck that game. That's really shitty design. Okay, that's harsh. But that's a poor fucking choice on their part. Technical issues should never get in the way of progression. Choppy frame rate is one thing. Flat out not being able to progress is something else entirely.

For what it's worth, most games wouldn't have warranted my effort of getting past the bug. I had a lot of fun with what I saw. Maybe at some point I'll go back to it. Maybe once I build a decent PC.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HH

i played it last week and really liked it, straight shooters are not usually my thing, but first time through i went ranger hardcore and with russian audio, found the air filter restraints a little frustrating in places, but really got sucked into how oppressive and distinctive and unique it's vision of the future was. ace atmosphere, will play again for sure.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about 50% through, and I agree with everyone above. Great graphics, great stealth gameplay (if you choose), and a really immersive experience. I'd happily pay $60 for a sequel.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but walla

what

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

If Bioshock Infinite were a good game, it would be Metro: Last Light.

What?

But if it were a great game, it'd be Brothers.

No game can beat Brothers, especially no ten games.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Taking into consideration the horrible work environment the developers fought through the game is mighty impressive and deserves your money.

If you're wondering how I feel without work environment consideration, it's a decent game that lacks a little bang for the buck but still manages to be an enjoyable experience.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I loved 2033 and the book and played it on ranger hardcore. Started Last Light but I never ended up finishing it. The numerous bugs were really disappointing. I would get to spots where I would desperately need to pick up ammo or med packs but the game wouldn't allow me, even when I moused over the icons.

Yes, I had the same problem where I needed to restart the chapter to proceed. To be fair that was near release, so maybe its been patched, but I played 2033 far after release and that game was just as buggy. LL is definitely iterative, it doesn't fix many of the problems of 2033, but if that's your kind of thing, then give it a try.

@hatking said:

I ran into some pretty rotten bugs really far into the game. I couldn't progress past a certain point. I decided to drop the difficulty and try running through that chapter again, but when I changed the difficulty it erased all of my progress

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stryker1121

@ntm: One of the most atmospheric and disturbing games i've ever played. Last Light does a great job of drawing you into the world. Play stealthy and just listen to the NPCs (someone suggested playing with Russian VO and subtitles, but I found i missed convos that way..subtitles were not always picked up). Also one of the most gorgeous games I've played on console.

However, I did run into some fairly major glitches, one where I couldn't kill anyone (or be killed) for two entire levels. Enemies did not react to my presence at all, even when I was standing in front of their faces. Re-starting the level didn't help, so I literally walked right through the levels and the problem eventually went away. Kind of killed the fun for me, however. Did some searching and my issue seems rare, so hopefully you'll be OK.

Otherwise, the AI is a bit dumb, and the story goes off the rails in the 3rd act. Still, if you can avoid immersion-killing glitches, Last Light is one of the most interesting shooters out there. Have fun!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@djou: I'm definitely going to play in Russian after my first playthrough I believe, and yes, not every little conversation you can listen to uses subtitles; the majority of them you won't get them, it's mostly for the main story stuff.

@stryker1121: Hm, so far, on 360, I haven't had any large bugs, none that I really noticed actually, other than some clipping through items. As for going stealthily in a shooter of this type; always. The game doesn't seem to do anything new, but it takes little aspects and does well with them. It's one of those great games that gives you freedom to play as you want I feel. As for the A.I. Yeah, they're perhaps dumb when it comes to shooting them, but I haven't really gotten into that since I've mostly been sneaking around them.

@xalienxgreyx: Are you replying to me as if I didn't buy the game yet, or just saying your opinion on whether it's worth buying or not even though I already have it and am playing it?

@5figh: I never say that, but I felt it fit. Or I guess you can say voila!

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clockwk said:

It's currently #3 on my GOTY list. It might be the most atmospheric game I have ever played. Also, play it in Russian with English sub-titles, makes it a lot more immersive.

I disagree. If you play it in Russian, you're going to miss a LOT of conversations that aren't translated. Do it a second time if you want, but I don't think it loses much at all if you play in English.

@wjb: But the stealth in 2033 was interesting because it didn't allow you to no-kill the game, it was a bit different. I haven't played Last Light, but the stealth seems worse than 2033, which is a shame.

Do you mean no-kill as in not killing a single human character in the game? Because I did that, it's made especially easy if you manage to buy the stealth suit. The stealth in the second game is MUCH, MUCH, MUUUUCH easier to do than in the first game, and I think that in itself makes it better, because prior to getting the stealth suit, the first game's stealth is hard as hell to pull off.

I thought Metro: Last Lights was interesting. I was initially put off because it went with the bad ending of the first game, but I finally gave it a shot and I thought it was pretty fantastic. It's a lot easier to get the good ending in this game, though perhaps that's because I knew about it the first time around and made sure to do everything I could think of to get 'good points' or whatever they are called.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: But the stealth should be hard, the point is to gain an advantage over the enemy. The stealth in 2033 was just as difficult as it should have been.

I disagree. Prior to the stealth suit, the stealth is no fun at all because of how difficult it is to pull off. I'd argue that it's nigh impossible at some parts, since I recall just running through an enemy filled area on my no-kill run because I screwed up the stealth. I also believe that you couldn't even knock out enemy in the first game, which again, added so much more to the difficulty of it. The stealth in the second game is like a puzzle - you need to watch the enemy's movements and then determine what your move is, whereas the stealth in the first game is purely luck based until you get the stealth suit.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HH

@random45 said:

@clockwk said:

I disagree. If you play it in Russian, you're going to miss a LOT of conversations that aren't translated. Do it a second time if you want, but I don't think it loses much at all if you play in English.

i plan on doing my second run in english to pick up on those conversations, but i think a huge part of the appeal of the game is how distinctively russian it is, how grim the faces are, how resolute the characters, how accustomed to tragedy and winter, long before chernobyl was a thing the country was home to a pessimistic perseverance, and survival in the harshest of conditions, and this is all reflected in their language and manner of speech.

also it's just a damn gorgeous language to listen to. but yeah, it's a shame the background chats aren't subtitled.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the first one stopped running right on my pc, so i haven't even beat that one but last light looked pretty dope.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@i_stay_puft said:

What is wrong with you? I bought it full price at $60 for PS3. WELL worth the price tag. I highly recommend it for any price. Please go pick it up.

I bought a pizza instead with the money. Best 14 bucks I ever spent.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I honestly preferred Metro 2033 to Last Light. I liked that the first game didn't compromise, and imo it had a better atmosphere and ending. The second game I felt was too by the book and too safe with most of it's areas being designed to be stealth able very obviously, as well as stealth turning that game's difficulty into a joke. There is also the fact that when 2033 it's visuals on PC were mind blowing for the time (i put it on the pedestal with BF3 and Witcher 2 at the time), and Last Light while still very pretty was just a marginal improvement. I still liked LL well enough, just not as much as 2033.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM
    @hh said:

@random45 said:

@clockwk said:

i plan on doing my second run in english to pick up on those conversations, but i think a huge part of the appeal of the game is how distinctively russian it is, how grim the faces are, how resolute the characters, how accustomed to tragedy and winter, long before chernobyl was a thing the country was home to a pessimistic perseverance, and survival in the harshest of conditions, and this is all reflected in their language and manner of speech.

also it's just a damn gorgeous language to listen to. but yeah, it's a shame the background chats aren't subtitled.

I was playing in Russian, and yeah, it makes sense, but I don't like it as much so I changed it back. I just imagine that in the world of Metro, at that point in time, everyone there could and willingly spoke English most of the time and sometimes in Russian when they felt like it, it just makes it easier to have it in English for me that way, although I know that's not truly the case.

As much as I like other languages because I find them interesting, it felt a lot less relatable to me when I listened to them speak in Russian and I couldn't get into the characters as much (sorry, that may sound shallow of me), though I'd say some of the acting was better, at least from what I could tell, because as compared to English, when there was some characters crying in Russian, it felt more like they were crying, and not voice acting it.

When I was listening to it in Russian, it really made me wish I knew how to speak and even read the language so I could get more out of it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By cornbredx

It's a great game. I personally enjoy both of them because it's different.

Beware, though. The action is not actually the best part of the game, although some of it is kind of cool. It's not bad or anything, it's just nothing special when it comes to that.

Not gonna say anything else for fear of spoilers. Just play it.

Jacktrote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only did you not say "I picked up Last Light" to make it easier to understand, you also randomly capitalized some of the words in the title.

You went and you picked something called "Last Light Up." I'm not dissing you I'm just weirded out and entertained by that fucking title! Bravo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.